Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

This bastard crawled under my bedroom door last night.

It's chilling in the bottom of a pint glass for size reference. It's clearly a male, but as with most spiders species identification is difficult. Based on location it's either Eratigena duellica, Eratigena agrestis, or Tegenaria domestica. Based on size I'm guessing Eratigena duellica.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Pacific Northwest. It's the only place outside of Europe where all three species were introduced.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Literally A Person posted:

Had this woodpecker show up in my apple tree this morning (excuse the noises in the background my son was EXTREMELY excited about this guy):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfUR8iRz6Fg

Congrats on spotting a Red-Breasted Sapsucker outside of its usual habitat of seedy strip-clubs.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Chaosfeather posted:

Lastly, I think this is a form of nightshade? Just a wild guess, I'll ID it when I get home. Still out and about and I fly back to the warm tomorrow. A very good trip.

This is a rose hip, i.e. the fruit of a wild rose.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

I found a really nice example of what I think is Zygaena ephialtes, the Variable Burnet Moth. Super pretty. Normally, they're just kind of spotted, but this one has very lovely red wing edges.

Yeah, that's a Cinnabar Moth. I'm guessing you live either in the Pacific Northwest or Europe.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

Yeah, in short:
  • Pupa: The semi-dormant life stage some insects go through as they transition from larva to adult.
  • Cocoon: A pupa encased in silk. Common in moths.
  • Crystalis: A shiny metallic pupa. Common in butterflies.

Crystalis is an action role-playing action-adventure video game produced by SNK in 1990 for the Nintendo Entertainment System. A chrysalis is the same thing as a pupa.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

Functionally the same, anyway. They're very distinct-looking and often have a metallic sheen, which is where the name comes from. Chrysalis comes from the Greek word for 'gold', chrysos.

A chrysalis is just a butterfly pupa. Only a few butterfly species have a gold or metallic chrysalis.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

highme posted:

Not sure about toxins, but one of them swam up to my friend I was camping with and let her pick it up. She didn’t mention any irritation etc, but wasn’t handling it for long.

As long as she didn't eat it she's fine. If you eat one you will die.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Here's a False Black Widow (Steatoda grossa) I caught in my basement.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Today I saw two bald eagles try to catch a duck. The duck escaped.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Not a muskrat, the tail is furry.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Bugsy posted:

Approximate 10% of the wild population of California Condors descended on this lady's mom's house and have been hanging out there for the past few days.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Funnily enough, green is the recessive colour allele. It's just highly selected for in the wild. In the absence of natural selection most katydids would be pink, yellow, or orange.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Forgive the potato quality of my phone camera, but here is a pic from a couple hours ago during a walk at a local park. In the bottom right is a green heron, top left is a blue heron.

You still need the yellow heron, black heron, red heron, and pink heron to form the heron megazord.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

:anttony:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I just moved to Toronto and I have no idea what anything is. Can anyone ID this dragonfly?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Mmmm maybe a common whitetail female

Definitely this one, thanks!

Also, I spotted my first stripey boi today! :stoked:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Good critter day!

I was doing some yard work and I thought I saw a bit of spruce branch moving in the mulch, which would have been rather unusual. It turned out to be something almost as unusual!

I've never seen a caterpillar like that before! I was so excited that my wife heard me exclaim "wow!" from inside the house. I considered taking in and keeping it to see what it turns into, but I'm not confident in my caterpillar rearing skills so I let it go free. I'm in central Alberta if anyone has any guesses.

Based on your location, I'd guess it's a Single-lined Emerald (Nemoria unitaria) caterpillar. There are a couple of other Nemoria caterpillars that look similar, but I don't think they're found in Alberta.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

:rip: Critterquest 2020.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Actually, it's a hummingbird MOTH you absolute ignoramus. Holy poo poo you're dumb. Have you ever been outside before, or is this your first time?
:goonsay:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I just spotted what was probably an Auplopus wasp carrying a legless spider up a tree in my backyard. It was moving pretty fast, so I couldn't get a pic or proper ID and am guessing Auplopus based on the legless spider.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

That's a butterfly, dude.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Found a cicada shell on a tree in my backyard. :3:

For those of you with periodical cicadas this won't be interesting at all, but we don't get them here.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

No. You can't see the parasites until they burst out through the skin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

That ladybug looks like it has a fungal STD called labouls.