Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

It looks like one of those old man brushes missing half the hairs :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Are these honey bees?

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Annoyed swallow parent.

So cross :kimchi:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

DrBouvenstein posted:

Speaking of toads, almost ran this guy over while mowing the lawn earlier. When he first jumped, I thought he was a giant cricket. Thankfully, just a small toad:

The tiniest palm reader :3:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

It looks like it's doing a photo shoot - work it, baby, work it, the camera loves you! :sparkles:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Busy bee :kimchi:

Those pictures are fantastic.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Literally A Person posted:

So these are really supposed to be an uncommon bug where I live but, what do you know, another Valley Mantis did a photo-shoot with me!:

I love the mantis photo shoots. She's so sassy :sparkles:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

HELLO HUMAN

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Mak0rz posted:

One peculiar exception is the bark louse.

Nature is so weird

What a good mum :3:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Slo-Tek posted:

Found a bunch of early-instar Snowberry Clearwing cats out in October yesterday. They have about 3 weeks of growing yet to do, so I brought them in incase there are cold snaps.

vaguely posted:

oh my gosh those dainty little black feet

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

InEscape posted:

eta: gratuitous shot of my study species Lepidurus packardi

So adorable :kimchi:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Oh yeah! I forgot to post this. It's converted from phone video, so the gif is a bit janky. I'm guessing it's a cooper's hawk? We saw this guy chilling in a residential median in southern New England, if that helps.

He's just chowing down on a gray squirrel. A woman gazing deeply into her iPhone walked past him, less than a foot of space between them, without apparently noticing an enormous bird of prey.

And that bird is pretty freaking big -- almost as big as a bald eagle.

Yeah that's a cooper's hawk. Great video! (and good on him for eating those pesky grey squirrels...)

I'd be sick if I'd missed something like that due to staring at my phone while walking.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The Red Queen posted:

Took me way too long to see the little brown bird.

He's King of the Mountain

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

"Danger noodle" is the best term for a snake.

Also Vakal's friend is definitely flutered

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Ideally he would be returned to the area where he was found if it hasn't been too long. Many fledglings leave the nest before they are 100% able to fly confidently on their own because remaining in the nest is dangerous (the longer they remain in the nest the more likely predators are to discover them as they get bigger and the nest becomes more fouled). They will spend a period of time living out of the nest but still with poor flying skills, hiding mainly in undergrowth while their parents continue to look after them and feed them and they practice flying. A lot of people find fledglings and assume they have fallen out of the nest and cannot survive outside it, and while that might be true for some (they might have been kicked out of the nest or a predator might have caused them to abandon the nest early or perhaps a storm), more often they have left the nest and are still being cared for by their parents. It's definitely a dangerous time for birds and a big reason why many don't survive to adulthood (especially since in urban settings, there is often little ground cover for them to hide in).

If that isn't really feasible, I would recommend calling a wildlife rehab to see if they could take him. Otherwise you need to determine 100% what he is (I'm not comfortable enough to guess as I'm primarily familiar with European birds and fledglings can be challenging enough to ID) and then you can find out what the juvenile diet is. It's really difficult to raise many fledglings to maturity because their diet can be quite complicated. Some will only eat live grubs, some eat certain types of seeds, etc and some have diets that change as they mature. You might be lucky and at his stage of growth he can live off the type of crushed seeds found in bird food (there are several species of common song birds where if you see the parent is taking seeds from a bird feeder straight back to the nest, it's not a good sign and the chicks aren't likely to survive, but once they are a bit older and out of the nest they will sit on a feeder and yell at the parents to ferry seeds straight into their mouth like little cheeping emperors :3: )

I'm not trying to put you off or criticise either you or the person who brought him to you - it's a very good instinct to want to save a helpless baby bird. It's just that often this time of year people find fledglings that have voluntarily abandoned the nest and remove them from the care of their parents, and we aren't very good at replicating all passerine diets and needs (of course we often come across fledglings chilling out in the open, which is dangerous for them, so moving them to a bit of cover nearby is ok).

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Yeah, I would guess house sparrow as they nest here as well so are common sights, but I'm not familiar enough with American birds to be very confident or know if there are juvenile look-alikes. It's a shame he can't be returned to the nest :( He's probably so vocal calling to his parents for help. If it is a sparrow, they are one of the easier ones to raise so you could give it a go yourself if the rehab won't take him. Juvenile sparrows have a pretty diverse diet; they prefer live food but will eat seeds so long as they aren't too big.

Enfys fucked around with this message at 11:42 on May 1, 2018

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

They should gobble up mealworms like candy, so that's a good idea. A peace offering for your hamsters as well.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Thanks for giving him a chance and saving him from being squished or eaten. I'm sure he enjoyed those mealworms :sympathy:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

vaguely posted:

it should be relevant to anything that might come outta there.

:cthulhu:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Yay for saving bees!

I love how ticklish bumblebees are when they slurp a bit of sugar water off you :3: It's been a horrible, cold wet spring here, so growth has been delayed. I'm seeing bumblebees around, but I would guess they're struggling this year as not much is flowering yet.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

I didn't realise how tiny they are :3:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

A couple weeks ago I saw a swan nesting near the river that runs by my work with a heron perched a few feet away from the nest. Watching. Waiting. A work colleague said that it looked like the heron was guarding the swan :3:

I didn't quite know how to break it to her...

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

A good life philosophy really.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Buds :love:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

PREYING MANTITS posted:

Couple more, but hey at least they aren't dragonflies!

Grapevine beetle

"Heeeeeeey, how u doin"

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Kith posted:

This is the first time I've ever gotten a look at a cicada up close. They were very polite and held very still for me to get a good picture!

I'm always struck by how beautiful their wings are. That's a really cool picture

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Swallows have such grumpy faces :3:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Wikipedia posted:

The differences of size of these male spiders actually allows the males to come into contact with the females in relation to their orb webs. The male Argiope bruennichi are able to enter into the female's orb and thus make their webs without being detected as prey and thus eaten before they are able to mate, a major fitness advantage.

Certain male Argiope bruennichi have a very important adaptation that they have developed to insure that they will be the only mate with whom the female can produce offspring. Certain males are able to "plug" the female after they have mated with her to prevent other males from copulating with the female. This plugging involves using the entire male's body, thus allowing him to only mate once. This is a major reason as to why these males are always in a rush to mate after the female has completed her final moult.[4] With males always waiting around for the female to reach full maturity, the race is on for the male who is small enough to not be detected, yet is also able to "plug" the female so that no other male can compete for fertilization of her eggs. These spiders have evolved to become monogamous for the most part after mating because of this damage.

:stare:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

:eyepoop:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I try to avoid killing most things, but I make a few exceptions.

Flies are one.
Crane flies are another, although they often kill themselves pretty effectively.
Ants, if they start coming into the house.
Fleas and mosquitoes.
Yellowjackets and the like if they get stuck inside.

I've found that the older I get the less I want to kill anything. :corsair:

Ticks can go to hell

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Herr Schuler posted:

Same one playing dead

These are Australian insects and believe it or not, they are not dangerous or deadly!

:kimchi:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

People who can't appreciate a good owl deserve bad luck

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Zen master

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

I love porcupines so much and "grumbling" is the perfect way to describe how they move

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Looks like some variety of tent caterpillar.

We used to have infestations every few years that were so bad the streets would be slick with caterpillar guts.

quote:

They are among the most social of all caterpillars and exhibit many noteworthy behaviors.

Well that phrasing makes them sound neat despite the tree murder :3:

quote:

At the onset of a bout of foraging, caterpillars leave the tent en masse, moving to distant feeding sites. Immediately after feeding the caterpillars return to the tent and aggregate in sunlight to facilitate the digestive process.

Leaves consist largely of nondigestible components, and it has been estimated that tent caterpillars void as fecal pellets nearly half of the energy they ingest. As a consequence, a colony of caterpillars produces large quantities of fecal pellets. Fecal pellets dropping from treetops in which the caterpillars are feeding create the auditory illusion of rainfall.

tfw you mostly eat things you can't digest so rain poop

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Nature :stonk:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Zombie apocalypse is going to start from people huffing cicada butt spores

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Telebite posted:

This was actually posted in a Youtube compilation but there was no info posted as to what it is.

Anyone?

monster movies have a lot to learn from nature

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Hellsau posted:

is that li'l fella rattling a tail that doesn't have a rattle?

so fierce :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Look like goose eggs, and geese are awful parents who will lay their eggs anywhere and wander off without ever giving them a second thought, if they don't trample all over them first.