Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Chows posted:

here's a beetle I saw that I thought was neat

watermelon beetle Polyphylla decemlineata, a kind of scarab
they hiss if you annoy them but are harmless (other than their grubs being a crop pest, like most chafers)
chafers are so great, they're such fat goofy fuzzywuzzy beetles and I love them :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

given the colouration on the first band I would lean towards B. terrestris but yes, difficult to be sure without a different angle shot
the bumblebee conservation trust has some nice ID tips for British Isles bees with lovely clear drawings of band patterns, highly recommended
edit: THEY HAVE AN IPHONE APP downloading asap

good work by your friend in looking after the poor little thing, and your picture is really nice too :3: chives are delicious AND bees love them, win-win!

vaguely fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 20, 2017

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

what a cute fuzzy baby!! oh gosh i am jealous :kimchi:

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

an eyed click beetle, possibly Alaus oculatus but I don't know if there are confusion species
super cool, thanks for posting! i like its dainty feet

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Looks like some sort of long-jawed orb weaver based on the, uh, long jaws. Cool find!

male Lyssomanes viridis I think, a jumping spider (if you look you can just about see the big front eyes)
some adult male Salticids do have those enormous jaws, S. scenicus is pretty well known for it

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

saw what I think is a grey wagtail flicking its long long tail and gathering insects for its (extremely loud) chicks on the canal today :kimchi:
i got a couple pictures but they're basically the worst, just a tiny grey and yellow blob, sorry everyone

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

perhaps Zoropsis spinimana? similar / related to wolf spiders but not actually one of them
native to southern Europe, a recent introduction to California

vaguely fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jun 2, 2017

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

it changes the size of the silver patches when it feels threatened, maybe to make itself more difficult to see? probably needs more study tbh
there are a few spiders that genuinely do change colour, such as the flower crab spiders Misumena sp. (yellow/white) and Thomisus sp. (yellow/white/pink) which try to camouflage themselves against whatever flower they're sitting on, they're so great :kimchi:

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

the orange spider is a lynx spider of some description, might help you narrow it down some
nice pics! love the butterflies, can't believe how well they posed for you :kimchi:

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

almost like a... chinchilla rat??
couldnt find much info on these lil guys though so i couldnt say for sure

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Saw this spider in a park in Eugene, Oregon yesterday. I realize there isn't much in the picture for scale, but the gap in between the boards was big enough for me to get the tip of a finger into, so is at least a quarter inch or so. I didn't recognize this species, and thought I'd see if anyone could tell me what I was looking at.

looks more like Larinioides sp. to me, a few species are fairly common across the northern hemisphere
edit: I'm gonna guess L. sclopetarius from the white markings, common name bridge spider

vaguely fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jul 31, 2017

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

oh my GOD that moth is SO FAT :kimchi:

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

walnut sphinx moth looks pretty close, although I'm not sure if there are potential confusion species (always possible with brown moths lol)
apparently the caterpillars whistle or squeak if you scare them :kimchi:

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

what a ridiculous animal

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

myDad posted:

Cool, that's definitely what it was. Also I saw it out there for a few days, is that normal?
yours looks like a female, so I think yes? the adults don't feed, they mate and die, so the females tend to just sit around somewhere pumping out sexy moth pheromones

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

oh wow those photos are incredible
please share some more again! :kimchi:

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

poverty goat posted:

Cool mystery bug from VA

Euphoria inda?
what a chunky cute lil friend :kimchi:

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

oh my gosh those dainty little black feet

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

whatever it is, it's adorable

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

spiny orb weaver Gasteracantha cancriformis
aka a cute fat baby

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

could be some kind of sac spider, there are so many similar species that are difficult to tell apart especially without a location
they don't generally use their webs for hunting (they're active hunters like wolf spiders) but will make themselves a little silk sleeping bag to rest in :kimchi:

vaguely fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 13, 2017

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

oh heck dude those are some good birds

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Aaah what a beautiful animal!! :kimchi:

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Minesweep posted:

maybe I will keep it in a cage until it molts to see

Good idea, we'd all be really interested! If you do, please check out this care guide to give your new buddy the best chance of emerging healthy and strong :D I know it says it's for butterflies, but it should be relevant to anything that might come outta there. Good luck!

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

that wasp is fitness goals

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

That's a mite, they're harmless to the bee and just like to hitch a ride between nests and flowers and suchlike :3: Iirc they actually help out with nest maintenance by eating random bee debris

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

ohh yeah blue ringed octopus is not a creature you ever want to actually touch
drat pretty tho

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

For the beetle, it would help if you gave an idea of your location
The second pic isn't larvae, they're full grown aphids and it looks like the ants are farming them (aphids poop basically pure sugar which the ants then eat). Yeah they're gonna gently caress up your plants

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

A couple of years ago I saw a whole group of young magpies absolutely going in on another fledgling magpie, no idea what it did to piss em off but it must have been pretty serious

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Flower crab spider Misumena vatia is your most likely candidate there, nice find! Looks like you caught it partway through a colour change maybe, if it was a few days later and it was fully yellow you might not have even spotted it :3:

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

drat those photos are nice

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

i wish i was a professional bug guy :smith:
you folk are living the dream

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

truly this is not the best of all possible worlds

in critter news, i saw a butterfly doing a cool thing
https://twitter.com/PardosaAmentata/status/1026129392630726656
it was doing that for like a while

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

i'm thinkiiiiiiing Araneus gemmoides?? cat faced spider, so called because the little bumps on its butt look kinda like cat ears :kimchi:
fuzzy buuuuuuutt

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

if you google "butterfly pinning" there are lots and lots and lots of tutorials
from the look of it you'd need to do it fast before the butterfly dries out too much
also be aware that if you have ever had carpet beetles, the larvae looooooove to munch on preserved insect collections (it's a big problem in natural history museums) so keep an eye out for those little dudes

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

holy poo poo those are some nice owls

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Slo-Tek posted:

Nother one emerged today, took a five second buzz around the bug box, shook her wing scales off.

i think apart from all the other cute things about them, it's their cartoon antennae that i like the best :kimchi:

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

looks like a mammoth wasp Megascolia maculata / Scolia flavifrons (different names for the same bugg)
largest wasp species in Europe apparently, cool find! harmless to humans as well

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Araneus diadematus, garden spider
she's a pretty one :3:

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

your spider looks like everybody's buddy Phidippus audax (bold jumping spider)
she looks like she's had a lot of success hunting! fatty fat butt :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Apple Jax posted:

Sorry for the bad phone pic, would anyone be able to identify this spider? It was maybe 3 inches wide and I'm in Colorado.

looks like Tegenaria sp. or a close relative, hard to say more than that I think