Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

My ignorance is showing here, but all three of those types look like wolf spiders to me, just at different scales. Are they related or is it totally superficial?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Lots of wolf spiders have the stripes too (like the awesomely named "rabid wolf spider" in particular) so that doesn't end up being much help. Glad I'm not alone in mixing them up anyway.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Actuarial Fables posted:

I saw a bunch of white stuff on a branch and thought I had found a very active spider but it turned out to be something else entirely.

Don't know what they are, but they're kind of neat. (Northern Michigan)

They are fuzzy but don't sting. In elementary school kids would play with them during recess. The pattern on their back also looks like a penguin.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

When european earwigs (iirc the most typically seen type in America) were first introduced they didn't just hang out under logs and stuff, they formed insane gigantic swarms all over the place and wreaked havoc. And then for some reason they just chilled out and don't do that anymore (except around one log cabin in North Carolina).
One of life's invasive mysteries.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I want to eat kudzu and Do My Part against it but am always worried it would have been sprayed with something. Iirc it has starchy tubers too.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Nobody better tell TCC about this poo poo.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Southern house spiders look too much like insanely big brown recluses for my tastes.
Especially when you wake up at 2am and see a vague shape on the wall by your bed, hit the lights and see one looking back at you, and had never even heard of them before.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Cardiovorax posted:

A surprisingly large number of spiders does. If it helps any, brown recluses are notoriously, well, reclusive and averse to both biting and to ever being seen. There is one infamous case of a house that was infested by literally tens of thousands of brown recluse spiders and had been for years, but nobody noticed until one - just one - of them eventually bit a child. Sheer happenstance. The place eventually had to be for-reals torn down entirely, because numerous exterminators found that there was just no humanly possible way to get all of them with conventional techniques. The bodies were counted. There genuinely were at least that many, plus any that just got overlooked.

So, even if you have brown recluses, and you might, they will likely never harm you all your life. :)
I do know all that, but not when I'm half-awake at 2am.
I'm glad not to be living in that house anymore. In addition to the usual spiders, roaches and camel crickets it had a slug infestation in the bathroom. The first one was about 4 inches long and they got progressively smaller over time, which is just weird. Would have been good for posting in this thread though.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Phantom crane flies are awesome. I remember being young playing in our creek and occasionally seeing five white dots mysteriously floating in the air (they never had all six legs)

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

It's like the first time you see a rat's paws up close. From a distsnce you think, oh cute little paw like a cat or whatever. Up close? Long, fleshy pink fingers.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

There was an obnoxiously loud/piercing one going full blast last night here in NC but I couldn't spot him. Definitely not our normal annual ones anyway.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I think snappers tend to go out of their way to lay eggs. We had a couple gigantic ones come up our tiny creek when I was growing up (and a bloom of tiny snoppers everywhere after), and I once ran into a very large one while doing geology fieldwork just hanging out in the middle of a path quite a ways away from the one creek.

Eta: this handsome front door skink

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 30, 2020

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

The row of 'lil penguins on their backs :3:

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Saw a rare stealth bunny in my front yard today.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Not only do we have separate words for slugs and snails, we also have the two terms semisnail or semislug for ones with a shell that's too small to retreat into.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Big slugge.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Lil' bitty lizard.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Saw this guy while I was looking for mushrooms to shoot. I was sure he was a salamander until I got a close look and spotted the scales.

Apparently young ground skinks are just a bit salamandery.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

This cute little guy keeps hanging out under our porch light.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Came free with a dumptruck load of soil.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Yeah, he's a yellow-spotted millipede, about 2 inches long.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Also spotted a caterpillar today:

Never seen this kind before, apparently it becomes a boring drab kind of owlet moth.
Enjoy it while you've got it kid, it's all downhill from here.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

The soil apparently comes with:

American giant millipedes

And ringneck snakes! (Two of them in fact).

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Earth snake? (Haldea)
They're related--both of these had very bright and distinct neckrings though and I thought earth snakes were unpatterend. Closer look suggests the placement of the ring would be really weird for a ringneck though so maybe it's an unusual morph of Haldea?
Edit: maybe baby crowned snakes. I'm in NC so these are all possibilities.

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 12, 2020

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

They like to weave webs right at head height.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Yeah, don't let the sign fool you.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Finished sodding my lawn today, a few more friends showed up along the way.

Some sort of big beetle grub, not big enough for a hercules so maybe a stag?

Another snake friend, this one all black. Also accidentally dug up one of the crowned snakes again but he was fine.

This beautiful velvet ant could have ruined my day if she was in the sod I was handling. I once found one in my parent's napkin drawer which was weird, and definitely suggests some ambush potential.

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 22, 2020

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Met a very patient toad on the nature trail today.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Mak0rz posted:

:eng101: I know this is a joke about food but insects are, in actual fact, crustaceans.
This fills me with frustracean.
(Crustacea is generally defined by not including the hexapods)(even if jt's paraphyletic).

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Oct 2, 2020

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Phantom crane flies are cool.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I was out photographing mushrooms when this beautiful spider showed up. Oddly I don't recall seeing this species before, even though it should be pretty visible.

Apparenrly a marbled orb weaver. Most of the orb weavers I see are big and brown-orange and have a reputation for being bitey.

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Oct 7, 2020

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Pretty big, just a little under an inch long (head and body together).
Anyone have a guess what's up with this? I have bees congregating near by box drain:

We just laid down soil and sod and have been watering so it's pretty moist, are they just thirsty?

Also got this beautiful swallowtail butterfly joining in a few feet away.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

spider8reath posted:

That's actually not a swallowtail! It's Limenitis arthemis astyanax, the red spotted purple or red spotted admiral, one of the many mimics of the pipevine swallowtail. You can often see it puddling alongside swallowtails, but you're more likely to see it eating rotting fruit or poop than flower nectar.
Thanks! I've wondered most of my life why so many of our local swallowtails didn't actually have swallow tails.
Edit:

My dad recently bolted down his birdfeeder because it kept getting knocked down overnight. This guy was upside down doing some mission impossible moves when I first spotted him so I think we know why now.

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Oct 9, 2020

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Maybe, though before he could knock it over and snack at his leisure, now he has to climb all the way up and frankly he doesn't look that comfortable with it even though he keeps coming back:

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Raccoon update: got my phone off the charger and found these 2-hour-old texts from my dad.

So I guess he probably got eaten by those raccoons. They looked so cute too...

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Is that a mink? Don't let it sneeze on you.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

The Red Queen posted:

Having had ferrets it's amazing to me that they (while still predators if you let them) can be tubes of pure exuberance, while their cousins are stone-cold murder machines that can punch above their weight class.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2CTVqt2wxU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

It's because they kill more than they can eat, so they're disproportionately destructive to farm animals. They're cute and it's just their instincts and all but it will never not feel like a real dick move to those whose poultry are massacred.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Yeah. They're just trying to survive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=au_tL122R6g

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Sounds like an omen.