Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

This little Valley Mantis found its way into my kitchen the other day. Gotta say, it's pretty :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I know they're pretty common but I had a yellow garden spider catch a yellow jacket by my garden and he was a rather photogenic dude:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

its all nice on rice posted:

Saw this guy running across the floor at work. Tossed a quarter near it for scale. Portland, OR. His legs are pretty fuzzy.
https://imgur.com/gallery/Kp41s

I use wood to line all of my flower beds. During the summer time these little grass spiders spend the morning sunning themselves on the wood. It's like hundreds. They're cool little dudes.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

McGiggins posted:

Is this the thread where one posts random animals they find?

Sorry for bad quality, it was very hot so we were sunning ourselves in the shade.

Want to hug that lizard.

Do you know what it is?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Flambeau posted:

These azalea caterpillars were happy to pose for the camera

Those are beautiful! Very nice picture.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
So these are really supposed to be an uncommon bug where I live but, what do you know, another Valley Mantis did a photo-shoot with me!:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Enfys posted:

I love the mantis photo shoots. She's so sassy :sparkles:

They seem to be as curious about me as I am of them. They never seem to have any problem with the attention.

Bugs are so stinkin' cool!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
A bug that I haven't seen before! What is this fancy little dude?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Captain Invictus posted:

It's a tortoise beetle! Can't quite tell what kind, but they can be pests, so if it's on a plant you care about, keep an eye on the number of them.

What's up with the translucent coating? Is it still pupating or something?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Falukorv posted:

During vacation in Portugal this August i found this fella

It's an asian predatory wasp (Vespa vellutina), a hornet originally from Asia that has become invasive in Europe since it was introduced by accident via ceramic shipment to Bordeaux from China in 2005. Since then it has steadily spread throughout most of France and to Northern Iberia. In Portugal it is present so far in the Northern and northcentral parts of the country.
Main ecological concerns are potential threat to local pollinators and possible competetion with the similar (but slightly larger) indigenous European Hornet (Vespa crabro).
Also a threat to beekeepers, as they are, above all, excellent honey bee killers, probably the more measurable impact they've had so far.

They're pretty though.
Despite having seen them before this is the first good picture i've gotten of them, when they buzz around flowers to pollinate (which is when i mostly encounter them) they don't stay put for long. But the glass of lemon water really drew the full attention of the wasp, even overstaying its welcome after i was done taking pictures. Not keen to remove or shoo away a hornet, i let it stay and came back later to retrieve the glass.

Awesome! I never have any luck photographing wasps, they're just always so dang busy!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Bio-SWELL!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Two questions.

What is this beetle dude? I think I saw him eating another bug so I'm wondering if he is beneficial to my garden:

What are these larvae? They seem to be killing the poo poo out of my fava beans:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

vaguely posted:

For the beetle, it would help if you gave an idea of your location
The second pic isn't larvae, they're full grown aphids and it looks like the ants are farming them (aphids poop basically pure sugar which the ants then eat). Yeah they're gonna gently caress up your plants

I'm in the pacific northwest. There are no lightning bugs here so there is that.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Also, aren't aphids green?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Umbra posted:

If you google "Black aphid", the first result gives you your answer of "Black bean aphid".

Ow my :effort:

the yeti posted:

Soldier beetle I think, family Cantharidae.

This looks to be it. Feasting upon the aphids I'd think.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
....it looks kind of like roach poo.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Slo-Tek posted:

Really small crab spider lurking in a zinnia. Zinnia petals are not large.

He's waving!!!!

:3::3::3:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I have a mud dauber nest in my bbq. I was wondering, the daubers seem to come outside every so often and sit on the outside beating their wings while standing in place, are they trying to cool down or something? There is a thermometer on the outside of the q and it's reading near 170 Fahrenheit. They're kind of cute :3:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Shifty Nipples posted:

Also, ten inches seems like a real big toad.

You should see my hog.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
There were some juvenile cormorants at my wife's park this spring and, jesus, they have the ugly/cute thing going on extremely hard.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Had this woodpecker show up in my apple tree this morning (excuse the noises in the background my son was EXTREMELY excited about this guy):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfUR8iRz6Fg

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

McGavin posted:

Congrats on spotting a Red-Breasted Sapsucker outside of its usual habitat of seedy strip-clubs.

:lol:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

free hubcaps posted:

went for a hike on a rainy day last week and i saw so many of these newts along the side of the path. they're adorable!

Oh man. I want to hug that little dude. :3:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Yell, "HEY I GOT YOUR WEASEL HERE!!!"

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Someone will take it.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Do any of you know if there are any sweat bees in coastal Oregon. I keep seeing these, what I can only describe as green headed yellow jackets maybe 1/2" long on the dunes, and can't figure out what the heck they are. No pictures, sorry.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
They are wicked agrro.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Skratte posted:

Found this living barrel in my front yard.

Ah, you must live in Transylvania.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Squeeze in one more Critter before 2021:

Giant (though this guy is still pretty small) Pacific Salamander:

About 7" long! Still a bb but the largest I've ever had show up in my yard.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

The Red Queen posted:

He's got such a serious look on his face, like he's thinking about all his problems.

Torpor is the ennui of the animal world.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

sexy tiger boobs posted:

Pretty sure that's a Northwestern salamander. You can tell by the huge poison glands and ribbing down the body. Pacific giants have marbled coloration too.

You're totally right! Sorry, we have about *checks watch* nine billion types of newts/salamanders here.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

empty whippet box posted:

my mom found one of these in her garden today.

I like that it looks like one of those rubber toys you'd get from those machines out front of the grocery store for $0.25.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Astoria! I used to live there!

Now I'm a cool south Oregon coast guy :coolfish:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Speaking of the southern Oregon coast is there a reason this rat:

Would be acting really strange in my backyard. Like it's paralyzed or something. My cats won't get near it and it won't run away. It let me just walk up and take that picture. A rat. Like the bad kind.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

BetterLekNextTime posted:

You probably have a neighbor using rat poison. Rats get sluggish and then some unsuspecting fox or hawk or owl (or someone’s dog) eats it and gets hosed.

E: check out https://www.raptorsarethesolution.org

Oh great. Reading this is worrying me a lot. Usually people around here use cats to do that kind of pest control so the prospect of little poison bombs running around is extremely unsettling.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Hey Critterquesters!

:ducksiren: It's time for this thread to get goodmined and a new OP to take it's place. Let's give it a week to wrap it up and someone can start us back up again!:ducksiren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

my cat is norris posted:

Okay hi it's actually been like a month since this was posted, would you still like us to create a new thread?

If so, I can get started on a new OP!!

Sorry, Norris. Yes, let's do it. Drop a link to the new thread here and then I'll get this one closed and shipped off.

Lazy mod.