Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Wow, been a minute since I've seen a critterquest thread.

I guess I have some critters.

Black Rat Snake swimming

Same Black Rat Snake climbing up a tree right next to me, giving no fucks detectable by science

Blue Tailed Skink

Whistling Duck 500 miles out of it's normal range

Likkle baby snapping turtle

Brand new Painted Turtle

Grown-rear end Box Turtle

Six Spotted Tiger Beetle what got Eight Spots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

A couple of my Eacles imperialis eclosed today. Think these are both males, as they are on the small side, and have a lot of purple on them.

Here is the whole life-cycle from eggs last summer till today:
https://imgur.com/a/QDp76

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Imperial eggs fixin' to hatch today, also a 10 day old egg next to a fresh this morning egg.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Over There posted:

what are these?

Eacles imperialis Imperial Moth eggs.

Here is the whole shootin' match from last year https://imgur.com/a/QDp76

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

my cat is norris posted:

I've read that some people eat them. Are they tasty?

They aren't bad. Texture is rubbery, and they taste like mollusc and ocean.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

What type of caterpillar is this? I'm in southeastern US, eastern Alabama to be specific.

https://imgur.com/gallery/CW5kq

He's all green with what looks like little orange dots and feels like single stiff hairs sticking out of each of the bristles. He has five pairs of legs. The right side is his head.

Edit:quality got hosed up uploading to imgur, going to try to fix it.

Polyphemus caterpillar. That one is done eating and looking for an out of the way spot with some leaf litter and twigs to spin it's cocoon. Will emerge in the spring as an owl-eyed moth the size of your hand.

http://bugguide.net/node/view/427

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Found a bunch of early-instar Snowberry Clearwing cats out in October yesterday. They have about 3 weeks of growing yet to do, so I brought them in incase there are cold snaps.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Saw a bird.

https://imgur.com/a/taL5W

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Well, this was kind of a gross/interesting thing. I thought I had 4 Cecropia moth cocoons. Turns out, I had about 40 Chalcid wasps chest-burstering out for Mother's Day. Nice Legs.

Can't remember if I posted these...

Also saw a whale and had a barred owl in an instant pot box.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Buncha critters out on the bike trails this morning. A Red Tail that I expect bounced off a windshield, and a medium sized momma common snapping turtle.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Got bit by a really pretty blue snake today. More of a nibble, really.

The imaginatively named Blue Racer is in fact quite quick.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Was walking in the woods today, when this Eight Spotted Forester landed on me. Dunno why they are called that.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

cool Ant Lion in my kitchen tonight.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Turns out Box Turtles glow under UV light, and lay eggs in July. Hatch is between 70 and 120 days from now, so probably won't catch that.

Also, snowberry clearwing cats glow under UV, but you knew that.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

So, a few weeks ago a critter got into my outdoor nesting box and ate a couple dozen of my pupas. The sole survivor just emerged today, big pretty female Eacles imperialis.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Out at the art museum yesterday, and found a big momma Polyphemus chilling out on an art.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Pyromaniac Ida posted:

What's with this thing I found? It looks like a bee except it's the size of a pebble. I could barely see it.

Long Horned Bee. 200 species in 14 genuses, so may need a bee-person to get much past that.

https://bugguide.net/node/view/8019

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Really small crab spider lurking in a zinnia. Zinnia petals are not large.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Had a good caterpillar day. Turns out, Spicebush Swallowtail caterpillars are not particularly fluorescent under LED blacklight. Still slightly easier to find since the leaves turn red, and the cat stays green, but not glow-y like Snowberry Clearwing cats are.

Spicebush Swallowtail:

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Anne Whateley posted:

If spicebush swallowtail caterpillars are kinda UV duds, I assume other swallowtail species' caterpillars would be too, but have you tried any others?

Interesting hypothesis. Have UV pestered both Black Swallowtails and Monarchs, and they are both not that bright compared to Lunas and Snowberrys. Maybe a butterfly vs. moth situation? Dunno. Will test more.

Speaking of, freshly eclosed this morning Snowberry Clearwing Moth. They have black scales on their wings when they emerge that shed once they take flight leaving the clear substrate. Love these whimsy space-shrimps.

and here is a caterpillar and an action shot from years previous.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Nother one emerged today, took a five second buzz around the bug box, shook her wing scales off.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

New Pupa, who dis?

Found a good sized pupa on a bike trail through tall grass on an industrial brownfield. Assuming it is a Sphinx moth, but it doesn't have the separated jug-handle sheath for its proboscis like a Manduca sp.

Be cool if it was not roasted by the pavement, and also if it were a Pandorus sphinx.

https://imgur.com/a/yLI0QF8

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Had a female Callosamia promethea emerge today from a cocoon I found wild the other week.

I like big butts, and I cannot lie.

They have a ton of sexual dimorphism, the males are shiny blue-black with tan highlights.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

the yeti posted:

The color fits, and I believe I make out the huge chompers of the wood louse hunter, Dysdera crocata :kimchi:

I'd go with a Broad Faced Sac Spider.

https://bugguide.net/node/view/1409515

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

An ok Callosamia promethea hatched from a wild cocoon and was released today.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

few more critters I've run across lately:

Northern Water Snake.

Wee likkle Northern Water Snake

And a female Callosamia promethea. Same species as the black and tan fellow above

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Hyalophora cecropia caterpillars, Day 1, Hour 1.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Aw yeah. The male she called in was way smaller than the one that hatched the other day, but putting in the work.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Freshly molted 3rd instar Callosamia promethea. The first two instars are zebra striped communal feeders, 3rd instar they get new colors, new horns, and new behaviors, and strike out on their own.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Mak0rz posted:

Are you still doing that thing where you're trying to breed silk moth super giants by raising them in a hyperoxic environment?

Not at the moment, still have the rig up for it, but have been busy on other projects for the last couple years. Did see a good 15% increase in maximum size over 3 generations though. (and a really unfortunate rise in mortality, oxygen is hard on a body).

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

its all nice on rice posted:

Not sure what kind of spider this is, but I mistook it for a berry hanging from a bush at first. This is in Western Washington.

https://bugguide.net/node/view/6751 Goldenrod Crab Spider. They change from yellow to white over the course of a few days when they move to a different background color.

A selection of bugs in the STL metro this week:

A pair of Snowberry Clearwings gettin' it on.

A 5th instar Cecropia, still growing

some 4th and 5th instar Promethea

Harvestman with lotsa mites

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Chinston Wurchill posted:

My butterfly emerged!

I love the camouflage when resting vs. flashiness when flying vibe.

Can't figure out an ID yet but I'll keep looking (Edmonton, Alberta).

Comma butterfly. https://bugguide.net/node/view/297/bgpage There are a few to choose from.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

As I understand it, Narceas sp. is a Cryptic Species Complex, with something around a dozen different species, all of which look identical to millipedologists, but the millipedes can tell the difference. One of the early stages of speciation, when species genetically/breeding distinct, but still look the same.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Carpet beetles eat pretty much any protein. They like pet hair, pet food, leather, etc. The larvae are little hairy tan grub dudes.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

vortmax posted:

Friends I need help identifying this feather. I've never seen one of these in central Arkansas until now.

I thought to myself "man, those shafts are yellow, wonder what a yellow shafted flicker feather looks like".

Turns out, that is a yellow shafted flicker feather, I think.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

bij posted:

Spotted this handsome gentleman when I walked into work this morning. He's out and about pretty early!

I'm pretty sure it's a male from the fabulous antennae.

Yup, also, fun thing about Actias luna. The diapausing brood, the one that sits in their cocoons over the winter has much more saturated color, and maroon coloration on the wing edges. The ones that live their entire life cycle over the summer are much lighter colored, with nearly translucent light green wings, and brown or yellow or no color on the wing edges.

Think I saw a Tri-colored bat stuck to a tree today.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Hihohe posted:

I found some bugs that were sitting on the floor of my work

Eight Spotted Forester. https://bugguide.net/node/view/485

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I'm planning a honeymoon to Belize in 5 months and am very excited about the number of critters we'll be seeing. Apparently, 26-40% of the country is natural preserves. If anyone has any critter-scoping guides for this part of Central America, pass 'em my way!

I had a blast...er...18 years ago, touring Actun tunicil mucnal near San Ignacio. Mayan sacrifice caves full of dead mayans and live spiders. Pretty good jungle trek to get in...again, a long time ago, with a generous plenty of critters to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Cecropia hatched today, unusually small/red eyespots on this one. Odd color generally.