Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Back in the summer I was driving at night and heard a conehead singing. It didn't sound quite like a sword-bearing conehead, so I turned around and hunted for him. Sure enough, he turned out to be a slightly musical conehead.

I tried leaving him in a box in the kitchen to deal with in the morning, but he started singing so I had to move the box to the basement to get any sleep. Notice how much the background noise automatically cuts out for a second after he chirps, these guys are LOUD:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G71e1_49Lak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

hooah posted:

I couldn't find the "identify this critter" thread, so I'll just ask here. I was out walking with my daughter yesterday, and saw this bug. It's about thumb-sized, and we live in San Antonio. What is this crazy thing?

Definitely some sort of grub (scarab or related beetle larva), guessing a Hercules/rhinoceros beetle based on its size? They live in the central USA, apparently.

e: Forgot to mention that the best way to identify grubs is by looking at their butt hair. At least for small grubs.

Abyssal Squid fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Feb 2, 2017

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Definitely looks like a horsehair worm, but I have no idea what an adult would be doing on land.

I haven't found anything about how they get into herbivores like crickets and cockroaches, but those are their most common hosts. Apparently crickets and cockroaches and the like will scavenge dead mosquitoes and mayflies, so that's how they get them.

Good news:

quote:

Horsehair worms are harmless to vertebrates, because they can't parasitize people, livestock, pets, or birds. They also don't infect plants. If humans ingest the worms, they may encounter some mild discomfort of the intestinal tract, but infection never occurs.
Spoilers for :nms:

e: goddamnit, nemetomorpha are now a distinct phylum from nematoda. Stop changing, taxonomy! :argh:

Abyssal Squid fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Feb 7, 2017

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

I'm old, okay >:|

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Caterpillar showed up in the garbage today, munching on cilantro stems, looks like some kind of yellow underwing? Those are awful pests but it's cute. :shobon:

ExecuDork posted:

Biogeographic tourism is the best tourism.