Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Psycho Society posted:

I was trying to find some photos of wild turkeys I thought I saved, but can only find ducks.

These two ducks were hanging out together, I assume they are a couple. Crazily colored ducks like these two were with a bunch of others like normal mallards. Why are some ducks white like this? Are they some kind of domestic breed? Wild? The white one definitely didn't seem like an albino, its eyes weren't red. This was at a pond inside a park by the way.

Domesticated ducks are bred to hell and back and end up looking all sorts of ways. Same with Pigeons.

Edit: White bird isn't a Mallard. Not even sure what species that barnyard duck falls under. The back bird has a fairly common plumage pattern for domestic Mallards.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jan 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Regy Rusty posted:

You made me curious so I decided to do a bit of research into domestic ducks.

Turns out the majority of worldwide barnyard duck breeds are in fact descended from Mallards. None of them have black bills like that though. It seems most likely that that particular duck is the result of a domestic duck mating with some wild duck with a black bill resulting in that one.

E: Wow mallards (and as a result domestic ducks) are able to interbreed with all kinds of duck species which is apparently a big conservation issue because they're so common and are threatening genetic diversity in many other duck populations.

It's amazing how different that white duck looks from a Mallard in size/structure (head shape, bill shape, etc.), but when you consider that domestic dogs are all descended from Gray Wolves I suppose it's not all that amazing.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

whiteyfats posted:

When I lived in Gainesville, FL, I knew a lady from Scotland, and she couldn't get over 1) how loving big the bugs in Florida get, and 2) the fact lizards are everywhere.

First time I went birding in Florida I was instantly driven nuts by the fact that their flying bugs were bigger than hummingbirds. I also spent several days trying to figure out what these drat noisy birds in the trees that I could never see were (Cicadas).

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

its all nice on rice posted:

Here's a crow(?) in Budapest:

It looked like a crow, but wasn't all black.

Looks like a Hooded Crow possibly. Corvids in Eurasia can be very different than America.