Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

A little while ago my dogs freaked the gently caress out outside and it turned out my possum friend was out there cleaning up around the birdfeeder

he just sat up on the rail in the open for a couple of minutes beholding the two excited hounds going nuts inches away from him before slowly shuffling a few feet over to hide behind this little bit of branch, which i guess he deemed to be adequate camouflage because he sat right there pretending to be a branch until I'd rounded up the dogs and the coast was clear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

solid opossum is back!!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Remember when they said that depraved inter-species love was the next thing coming after gay marriage? Well, it's happening! I saw my first collared dove a couple of years ago and they've since infiltrated the usual mourning dove/pigeon social gatherings. Now there's an inter-species pair hanging about, no doubt intent on filling the world with ungodly hybrids:

Maybe I'll have some :downs: hybrid babbies this spring

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I want more pics of the commando possum.

he got cornered in the yard by the beagles a few nights ago and hosed off and hasn't been seen since

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

There are insects you can only ID by looking at their genitals under a microscope. Skinks need to step up their game :smuggo:

must be pretty hosed up spotting your perfect sexy lady and then hoofing it all the way across the garden just to find out your dick is incompatible

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

My hawk friend from last year is back! I heard a bigass bird-window type thunk and looked in time to see a collared dove pursued by the cooper's hawk just outside. The grackle that hit the window is on the deck looking snapped in half and there's now a dove crater in the yard :black101:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

did some suburban beagling recently

Also here's a snek

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Carpenter bees I presume? Should I be worried about these guys living on my grandparents' front porch? They seem chill enough.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

http://i.imgur.com/p0kDq8h.gifv

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

can someone id this weird caterpillar

https://youtu.be/kQYzNMlZXJY?t=305

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

viperkeeper is a great yt channel btw, its like extreme ASMR

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I made new bug friends today and the s8 takes great bug photos it turns out

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Randaconda posted:

North Central Florida is also swampy and sweltering currently.

it's here in virginia also

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

invading the gently caress out of this toad's personal space

lookit that rad deadleaf camo pattern

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

https://twitter.com/Attenboroughs_D/status/895928485960699905

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

My cooper's hawk friend visited today a couple of hours before the eclipse. I'm pretty sure it was a sign from Huitzilopochtli. This was maybe 5 feet away through a glass door and I was close to getting a better shot when my dog spooked him. This is his third year hanging around and eating doves and it's not the first time he's perched on the deck and let me get close to him, t makes me wonder if he was rehabilitated or a pet or something

Also the hummingbird that lives in those trees was buzzing around talking poo poo to the hawk the whole time, but he didnt show up in focus in any of the pics

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

tessdaterrible posted:

What a great visitor. Is he a regular on your porch or just occasionally spot him?

I have a birdfeeder which attracts lots of doves. He eats some of the doves. Mostly you just find little piles of feathers that look like a meteor hit a dove but sometimes he swoops in close to a window when he's on the approach to show off, or hangs out on the deck

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Cool mystery bug from VA

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

vaguely posted:

Euphoria inda?
what a chunky cute lil friend :kimchi:

quote:

They are commonly attracted in late summer to the bacterial ooze produced by infection of many trees.

He was hanging out right next to a dish where I was evaporating isopropanol from a weed extract solution, attracted both to the alcohol and the euphoria

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Opossum fact: all Australian marsupials are believed, according to DNA studies, to have descended from a single species of South American opossum that walked to Australia before Australia hosed off to the opposite side of the planet

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

she was not interested in a photo op

e: also, not pictured: 2 dead rats trapped last night

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Sep 22, 2017

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

:3:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUhvUqUwQ60

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I saw either a huge red tailed hawk w/ a relatively dark chest or a juvenile bald eagle eating a dead opossum by the road a couple of days ago

also during the bliizzard i put out birdfeeders and this stupid rear end in a top hat started coming around every night to piss off my dogs till i stopped

he'd just sit up there in a tree outside the window and watch the dogs bark at him, at 3am after making a bunch of noise and waking them up. I had to go out there and throw rocks at him till he hosed off. if he starts coming back in the summer and I can't get him in a trap I'll shoot his rear end

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Mar 1, 2018

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Mods pls rename this thread critterquest 2019

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

i got my mockingbird friend to mimick my whistle and the next day he had a girlfriend, which i think makes me his wingman

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I caught a jumping spider in the kitchen and before I let her go I seasoned some flies with the bug-a-salt and fed her one that was still kicking

We are bffs now. Also, the bug-a-salt is amazing and everyone who lives in a swamp should own one, if only to prepare meals for your spider friends

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

turtle ID?

oddly enough he was going pretty fast before we disturbed him

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

my cat is norris posted:

Where are you located, Goat?

SE virginia

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

my cat is norris posted:

Coming back to this, I think it's possibly a coastal cooter?

might be. here's another one from the same spot

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

https://www.instagram.com/p/BjDV6RugG1r/?utm_source=ig_embed

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Someday humans will just farm the aphids' sweet, sweet rear end juice ourselves

E: seriously though what's the biological utility of making GBS threads pure sugar? Wouldn't it be far more useful to metabolize it? Is it just for the benefit of interspecies relations?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I've been invaded by these

5 or 6 little clusters of these guys were hanging out around a window, sitting perfectly still. I don't think they know they have wings, because they all scattered on foot when I dispersed them w/ the salt gun. Is this an ant sex thing or something

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 20:39 on May 26, 2018

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Ant sex update: there are like twice as many stupid drones in the same spot today, but there's a jumping spider on the scene, so I'm gonna just smoke weed and see how things play out

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I've had way too much fun shooting ants off the wall today and they keep climbing back up the wall and forming back up into groups to be shot again. It's nature's shooting gallery

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

heres a really good yt channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQGoJ5zOZUU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

lovely phone zoom/crops jobs but really it's impressive that i was able to take these pics at all on a smartphone

Also, it's apparently the summer of the turtle and I keep finding these guys everywhere

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jun 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/2SvPU1Z.mp4