Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
that absolutely is one of the types of worms that are parasites to certain insects

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I've looked this up in the past, and apparently what is considered to be a "yellow jacket" varies considerably by region. What i have always considered to be a yellowjacket is a type of hornet, while those look like what I would refer to as a wasp. In my area, a wasp has a long thing abdomen, while yellowjackets are stouter and built more bee-like.

For example, this is what I think of when I say "yellowjacket":

yes, that type of hornet is generally accepted as a yellowjacket.

a lot of folks ask me about my steam name (A Vacuum Full of Bees) and if there's a story behind it, and there is. Though yellowjackets are not bees, I know, but vacuum full of hornets doesn't quite sound or fit right.

I had a nest of yellowjackets, hundreds of the bastards, build up inside my wall unbeknownst to me. One day they chewed a hole in the wall and started swarming into my bedroom proper, and so I grabbed my dustbuster and started sucking them all up. Then I banged on the wall a bunch with the dustbuster next to the exit hole and got the rest of them. Then I shook it up a shitload and emptied them all into the toilet, slammed the top down, and flushed the lot of them.

yellowjackets suck

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 29, 2017

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

tweet my meat posted:

Saw a cool looking beetle the other day.

Click Beetle! If you put them on their back they'll snap their neck, making a loud CLICK and launching them into the air, to either surprise predators or get them right-side-up again.

efb

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
holy loving poo poo look at that Katydid. Goddamn that's a pretty critter. This is a video of some of the recently-discovered creatures in the last 18 months. That katydid is one of the most beautiful insects I have ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL_Hft12dIw&hd=1

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jun 2, 2017

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
gently caress (YEAH), LUBBERS

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mak0rz posted:

Now for a three-part series of photographs I like to call Making the Horse People in This Thread Incredibly Jealous. For those of you that don't know/remember I was working as a field biologist in summer of 2015 where we tracked wild horses and collected their turds to look for parasites! This is a small band of young adults we found somewhere between Rocky Mountain House and Nordegg, Alberta.

The lead stallion and mare took a hard look at me for a while. Eventually the stallion considered me uninteresting or nonthreatening enough and walked away but the mare took a shine to me for some reason and came up to say hello. She kept sniffing my face, particularly around my mouth. I don't know what her deal was but I assume she smelled the dried mango I had for a snack shortly before this. I thought it was pretty funny and eventually started to laugh at her, which ruined the magic and scared her away. Horses are dumb.

Ruddha posted:

I don't know about anyone else, but I know for a fact that horses are stupider than poo poo and WILL kill themselves if you don't take an absurd amount of precautions and adorn them in the right silly accessories so that they don't scare themselves and fall over dead, and even then at best you can reduce the chances that they will do that, but they're still absolutely going to. Women who are obsessed with horses are just as bad as ones who are obsessed with anything else, but it may be dumber because it's a placeholder for animalistic male sexuality; however, in reality, it doesn't hold up because dominant male sexual energy is incompatible with horse personality and tendencies because, again, they're absolutely going to kill themselves by accident, whereas studs and straight power tops are highly unlikely to catch their reflection in a mirror then break their leg and get eaten by a mountain lioness

Of course, if you don't nail little metal rings onto them, they'll split open, and then they'll die.

I personally guarantee you a dog will never in this life hear a bee then have a heart attack out of fear, dying.

Babies grow up and that's okay, it's like, sometimes a great meal is worth a lot of prep, for example. Horses only get more likely to die from a stupid reason as they get older. Oh poor ol' Freckles, thought of ants and died.

That's understandable, but in the scheme of things it's a fairly low chance. With horses, there is no such thing as a natural death at any point in existence: they've strictly only died from stupid poo poo. Saw water and passed away.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Please don't share that you killed the thing you just took a picture of.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ExecuDork posted:

Last week, I discovered this mud-dauber trying to get into my office.
This mud-dauber is building nests in my office window by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
She was very active and did manage to get inside at one point (I was able to capture her in a coffee cup and take her outside) so I didn't take off the screen to get pictures.

Yesterday she wasn't around so I popped out the screen and had a closer look.
She's been building nests in the window frame.
This mud-dauber is building nests in my office window by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

If the window is closed, the nests will be crushed. This morning, the window was partly closed. I re-opened it as far as it goes and I don't *think* the nests are damaged. I'm the only person in this office normally, my office-mate is away almost all of the time. But the cleaning staff come in here to clear the garbage can and sweep a bit, I guess one of them must have partly-closed the window last night.
If it's still there, your best bet would be to scrape it off and throw it out onto the ground below. So long as the nest is destroyed, there's a good chance the wasp will go find another location to build a nest and not risk getting killed in the window frame.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Dang, those are some nice pictures. How big were those beetles?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Bismuth posted:

Not a picture of mine, but I am really curious if someone can identify what this rodent is. Theres a Washington craigslist ad for a "cute female rat" free to a good home but I've never seen a rodent like this, it looks like something wild. They say "kangaroo rat or pack rat" but it doesn't really look like either of those to me.

I really really want to know what it is!

It looks halfway between a rat and a chinchilla.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

vaguely posted:

almost like a... chinchilla rat??
couldnt find much info on these lil guys though so i couldnt say for sure
i...had no idea this was a real animal. Huh.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You should keep it away from the turtle, you never know what kinds of infections are cross-species contaminant.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Dick Trauma posted:

Cicadas are weird and dopey but I love the wing patterns, like lovely leaded glass windows.

cicadas are ADORABLY weird and dopey.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I have concerns, about tiny robot origami ant things

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Aaaaaaaants in your veeeeeeeeins

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I went to visit my aunt in Washington DC when I was younger and it just so happened to be during the generational erupting of billions upon billions of cicadas, not the typical ones, but the ones that hibernate for 17 years or so.

The sound was unimaginable. Even in the dead center of the city, even at the Watergate god damned hotel, it bled through the walls. There was no escape, nowhere to flee the eternal drone.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Those look to be the same exact species, I think? Not sure which, but definitely sphinx moths.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I loving love the random-rear end ability to glow in the dark under a blacklight that scorpions have, as if they weren't rad enough already

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Congratulations, you've got Armyworms!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Jz1TjCphXE

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's a tortoise beetle! Can't quite tell what kind, but they can be pests, so if it's on a plant you care about, keep an eye on the number of them.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
if you ever wondered what moths had big butts for, the question has been answered: the proportionally biggest, hairiest dicks in the animal kingdom

I know they're pheromone thingies and not dicks

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ijii posted:

Southern Arizona.
I appreciate wanting to live and let live but a rattler isn't really going to give you similar courtesy and if it's in your garage you're one mistake from a trip to the emergency room or worse. It's not worth slightly improved pest control, my dude. Get rid of it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I mean, I would hope that would be a given. Never wrangle with dangerous wildlife yourself, always hire an expert or notify animal control.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It is specifically a Brown Marmorated Stinkbug(they can sometimes be darker colors than just "brown", and easily identified by the black and white pattern along the sides of the abdomen), an invasive species from China that often finds its way indoors during the winter. Best to kill them when you can, since they're a serious pest.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mr. Fowl posted:

I mean, yeah, they do sort of infest, but as far as I know they're more of an annoyance in the household since it's not like they make big farts or something and stink up your house. They just give off chemical smells when you smush them. They're also real dumb and have lousy reflexes so they're easy enough to nab if you want to deal with them.
Oh yeah, they're not household pests, they're huge plant pests. Kinda like Japanese Beetles, but stinkbug variety.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
sugar ants. lots and lots of sugar ants.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
he's fallen right into your trap, now don't miss

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've got a reputation at work as some sort of animal whisperer so everyone brings critters to me, usually insects like big moths or the occasional praying mantis. Today someone brought me a baby bird. I took him into an office to see if he can fly and he can almost, but not quite, he can flutter and hover for a few seconds. Seems he probably tried to fly out of the nest and fell, and his nest is a good 20+ feet in the air on some overhangs at work, maintenance wouldn't allow the use of a ladder to put him back. What kind of bird is he, and is there anything I can do for him to get him that last bit to maturity so he can fly away and live a normal life?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, unfortunately in this case the nest is in such a location(right above where trailer trucks frequently pass under) with zero cover anywhere that it'd be totally hosed if it's as you suspect. Like it's solid pavement a quarter mile in every direction from there. And it's proven it can't fly well enough to get back up to the overhangs. Both management and maintenance personnel said they will not use equipment to return him to the nest as company policy. Might actually be policy, but is likely just they can't be arsed.

It is quite active and vocal, it's going nuts in the box I have it in right now. It might've been kicked out of the nest, who knows. I want to say it's a common sparrow or robin. There's a single wildlife rehabilitator in my town, so I'll give them a call and hopefully they can take it. It seems to be a common sparrow according to the below image, though it does seem to have some skin problems which, if it was kicked out of the nest, may be why.

Also HOLY poo poo my hamsters are not pleased by its chirping, I had no idea it'd bother them that much. They are losing their poo poo in their cages. Guess it's going out in the hallway for now.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Will they eat mealworms? If so, I can pop down to the pet store and grab a container. My hamsters will likely enjoy having some too.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Perfect. I'll pick some up later today. Hopefully he'll be okay until then.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's possible. That said, I put him in the tub to see what he could do and he can really book it on the ground, and get about a foot off the ground when he jumps and flaps his wings. If he's not terminally ill it shouldn't take more than a couple days to get him going I should think, if he's able to get that high up. I put him in an old hamster cage with a little house which he alternates going in and on top of, and some paper towels. I have some sand too. I'll tear up some paper towels into strips for him to use as a nest I suppose.

Edit: even if he doesn't make it that's okay. He faced certain death in the UPS parking lot from either hundreds of trucks or the half dozen feral cats that live on the property. No cover, no protection, he would've been toast. So this at least gives him a chance.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 14:35 on May 1, 2018

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
He died. I think the mother kicked him out of the nest because he was sick, he had feathers missing in multiple spots, and he died in less than 12 hours after rescue. He gobbled up mealworms but I guess he was too far gone. Poor little guy.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Wow, a Gnomoria avatar. Huh. Haven't thought of that game in.......well, since like 2 months after it came out.

I went out to make some dinner and heard some buzzing and banging on the window. Figuring it was a fly or yellowjacket, I readied my trusty swatter. But no, it was a bumblebee! It was weakly bonking against the glass before resting on the sill. I let it crawl on my hand and it tried to drink my fingers with its proboscis. I gently let it out on the outside sill to rest until the rain stopped(after about 5 minutes of it stubbornly clinging to me and crawling in between my fingers so I couldn't easily get it off my hand). A few hours later I looked and it was still there, so I made some sugar water and got it back on my finger. I set it back on the outer sill, again after much protesting since it seemed to like the warmth in the crook of my hand, and after a few seconds of cleaning itself it flew up, hovered back and forth a bit, and took off. Godspeed little guy! :3:

Here's some awkward photos as in most of them I tried to both take pictures and also feed it at the same time. Only one photo had the proboscis visible, without the flash. It drank a surprising amount of the sugar water.

and here's the little cutie cleaning itself

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mak0rz posted:

:neckbeard:

Looks like Bombus vagans. Thanks for taking care of her!

I've mentioned it before but I have a massive bumblebee nest that is underneath my driveway and extends under the basement which has a partial dirt floor (the house is like 170 years old) where they sometimes get in through. Every spring bumblebees occasionally get stuck in the house or basement, sometimes I'm lucky enough to find them before they starve to death.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
despite the stereotype turtles can really book it when they want to

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Crankit posted:

A whole load of flies came in when I left a window open earlier https://imgur.com/a/YqBN2uW what are they attracted to, are they laying eggs and if so, how do I make sure all the eggs are destroyed?
Those are carpenter ants. You should check for them in your house, possibly hire someone to do it, because they can absolutely destroy wood in very little time.

edit: wait, I'm not sure I recognize the colored legs, I don't think I've ever seen those on carpenter ants. They might not be carpenter ants, not sure where you live.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Ok. Good that I didn't mess up, but also bad that I didn't mess up. :v:

Carpenter ants disintegrated the foundation of my inground pool, causing it to collapse in on itself, so I have a special hatred of them.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

poverty goat posted:

Someday humans will just farm the aphids' sweet, sweet rear end juice ourselves

E: seriously though what's the biological utility of making GBS threads pure sugar? Wouldn't it be far more useful to metabolize it? Is it just for the benefit of interspecies relations?

Symbiotic relationships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
One of the worst memories of my childhood was at my grandma's house in florida, I was smashing a massive stump in her back yard with a hammer to look for bugs like stag beetles and stuff. Then I swung the hammer super hard and it passed right through a rotten section and slammed right into my leg, leaving a dent in my shinbone. But that's not all, that rotten section was also a fire ant nest, sending hundreds of fire ants airborne in my direction

so not only did I gently caress up my own leg with a hammer as a seven-year-old, but I also got covered in fire ants and ran around screaming getting bit and stung

kids are dumb and don't think things through. Also fire ants are the worst.