Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Washout posted:

I regret only putting QR2 on Atiki and like 4 other units, but then again I'd have a lot less other shiny toys if I'd blown 80k feathers on all my various dragons. FFrobin got QR3 though. There should be a big red flashing sign in the OP that says:

Jumping in on the free money that is the mobile market, Nintendo put a Fire Emblem game on Android and iOS. It's a gachapon game, meaning you will roll for characters and likely reconsider your life choices after you spend your tax refund rolling for Marth. That being said, this game is incredibly generous with premium currency at the moment, and you can get at least a few top ranking characters with relative ease. (Also known as luck.)

I moved the thread hall of fame to the second page, as a mercy to people trying to read the OP and getting blasted with dozen of super high res screenshots. Here's a link

cheetah7071 posted:

The requirements for hall of fame are

-- be 5*+10
-- post in this thread at least a little
-- request it explicitly so I know you're actually proud of your +10

Check out this trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWOcLSD_D1I

The plot surrounds two kingdoms, the Emblian Empire and the Askran Kingdom. The Emblian Empire wants to take over all the worlds from the other Fire Emblem games, including the ones you probably never played. You showed up in the Askran Kingdom after being summoned, then proceed to do the exact same thing to your favorite Fire Emblem characters, like the ones from Super Smash Bros. Using superior grid-based tactics and farming ability, you'll travel through the game's plot counting down until you have 20 orbs, then violently rip more of your favorite Smash characters from their homes.

If you're just now downloading this for the first time, you have the option of re-rolling your account. Only do this if you have a high tolerance for tedium. This means after your initial summon (five characters from one banner and one character from each other available banner), reinstall your game if you don't get any 5* characters. Or you can shoot for several, or a specific one. But really having one 5* is a great advantage. If you don't care and just want essentially a demo of Fire Emblem, skip this part and get into the story. You can't go wrong, but you'll be craving those 5*'s soon enough. When you're happy with your initial roll, be sure to create a Nintendo account and link it. You'll get some awesome bonuses and you get cloud storage for your progress.

-= Combat in Fire Emblem: Heroes =-
Battles are turn-based, with the attacker going first and the defender counter-attacking if left alive and in range. There's stats that affect each character's combat prowess, and there's also movement modifiers like horses that change how far on the grid you can move.

The weapon triangle can give you an advantage in battle, or straight up get your best man killed. Idiot. There are also colorless characters, but that doesn't make them immune to the triangle. Characters like Robin (Male) outright have a bonus advantage over colorless in addition to being effective against Red characters.

Here what the stats mean. They're very straightforward.
HP: This is health. If it hits zero, the character dies and is removed from the grid. There is no permadeath in FE:Heroes.
Attack: This is the damage stat, regardless of unit type.
Defense: Reduces physical damage, such as from swords, axes, etc.
Resistance: Reduces damage from spellcasters and other magical attacks.
Speed: If your character's speed is at least 5 higher than your opponent, you will attack twice in one combat exchange.
Might: This is from your weapon skill. It adds to your damage.
Skill Points: Use these to unlock skills and weapon upgrades. Higher quality (* rank) characters will have maore skills unlocked at level 1, and more available to learn.

Movement is split into four groups.
Infantry can only move 2 spaces and will only be able to move one space through forests.
Armoured can only move 1 space.
Flying can move 2 spaces regardless of terrain. In addition, they take bonus damage from archers. Be careful!
Cavalry can move 3 spaces but cannot move through forests.

Characters also have varying skills, and unlock more through leveling and ranking up. This can range from buffing allies, reducing enemy stats and even gaining movement options to weak team mates. There's a pretty solid variety, so go through your characters and see what's available. Or just ask Goons. Whatever.

-= Premium Currency =-

When you summon, you can get up to five heroes per session. Your first summon costs five orbs, with the following summons costing four orbs up until the final summon, costing only three. This is why the 20 orb mark is important, it's a full board and is the most optimal. However, if you're pulling for a specific character, only summon stones of it's color. It's not as effecient, but you won't be wasting orbs on pulls that have no chance of getting you your Smash Bros main. You'll probably start off doing 5-pulls as you need more variety in your roster and then switch to sniping a color once your barracks is more full.

Here are the rates for most summon banners:
5* (Focus) - 3%
5* (General) - 3%
4* - 58%
3* - 36%

The Appearance Rates will change slightly after every 5 summonings that do not result in any 5 star Heroes. Both the rate for 5 Star (Focus) and 5 Star (General) will increase by 0.25%, subtracting from the 4 and 3 Star categories, for every five such summons. This continues up to 115 summons, where the total Appearance Rate of 5 star Heroes will be 17.5%. After the 120th consecutive summon without a 5 star Hero, this total rate increases to 100%. When a 5 star Hero is eventually summoned, the rates will revert to to their default.

This means you have a 6% chance of rolling a 5* character. The "focus" refers to the highlighted heroes for the banner, usually shown on the banner image. You can get multiple 5* characters per roll, which seems to happen more often than it should. If you're incredibly unlucky you will eventually get guaranteed 5* character, this will happen after your 120th summon.

-=Story Maps=-
The main story maps and paralogues will be your main source of experience and orbs as a new player starting out. A new paralogue or story chapter comes out every two weeks or so. Once you're up and running they're mostly sources of orbs. Chain Challenges and Squad Assaults, also in the story map section, are much more difficult challenges where you have to complete multiple maps back to back. Normal difficult chain challenges, if left uncleared, can be a great source of exp and SP. Just surrender on the final map so you don't accidentally clear it.

-=Training Tower=-
This is a set of respawning, randomly generated maps. They're good for levelling character up and okay for gaining SP (though chain challenges are better).

-=Arena=-
Arena is where you battle other player's teams. However, they are controlled by the game's usual AI, so don't worry about learning a metagame. Your goal is to win 7 times in a row and rack up a ton of points, earning you feathers that rank up characters. You'll be given three different battle options in varying difficulty. The harder the match, the more points you earn. The battles are scaled to your team's levels, so don't hesitate to jump in. Arena Assault is a mode where you have to do seven arena battles in a row with a different team for each map. It requires you to have a fairly deep roster so don't worry too much about it at first.

-=Special Maps=-
This is where time-limited maps are stored. They can reward you with orbs, feathers, or characters. We'll probably be talking about them in the thread a lot when they appear too. They range from pitifully easy to fiendishly difficult.

-=Tempest Trials=-
This special mode appears about once a month and last for ten days. In it, you battle maps repeatedly with the same team, keeping damage and character deaths with you from map to map. You get points for completing maps faster or needing fewer teams to complete the set, and then you get a ton of prizes for those points.

-=Voting Gauntlet=-
Appearing about once per month, the voting gauntlet is a way to earn feathers while sighing dejectedly as the hottest anime girl in the contest beats your favorite, again.

-=Grand Conquest=-
Another roughly-monthly game mode, this time focusing on large-scale battle where both sides have more units than usual. Attached to an inexplicable map-conquering board game thing.

I'm new, help

In rough order of importance:
--Unless you have a reason to like one of the other units better, pick Lyn (the colorless unit) from the first free 5* choice
--For the second choice, Hector (the blue unit) will utterly dominate all early and mid-game content (up through lunatic GHBs or so). Veronica (the colorless unit) requires more effort to use, but will be better in the hardest content of the game, and won't be a slouch in the early stuff either
--I cannot emphasize enough that if you like one of the other choices to ignore this advice and pick them instead
--Pick whichever banner looks most appealing to you. If you don't know what to pick, the new player herofest banner is a very good choice. Use your single free pull from the other banners, and then start spending orbs on your chosen banner in full 20-orb pulls
--Do chapter one of the book II story to get a free 5* Fjorm
--Start doing the normal-mode paralogues until you make it to Xenlogue 3, which gives you a free 5* Ike
--Every time you have 20 orbs, until you feel like you have a decent roster, pull on your banner of choice
--Once you feel like you have enough units to start reliably doing stuff, you can decide whether you want to keep pulling or save for future banners. Once a month there's a legendar banner with an 8% chance at a 5* with all the trashy 5*s removed from the pool, so those are good banners to save for
--Continue doing the story on normal and hard, and lunatic where you can (but don't worry about doing the harder chapters on lunatic yet)
--Try to make an effort at doing arena. You don't have to worry about getting a good score yet, just have fun and enjoy the free feathers
--You can get some free rewards out of arena assault by deploying a single unit in your initial team, which will cause all seven of your opponents to be single-unit teams you can defeat easily
--Once you have 20,000 feathers, ask us for advice on spending them
--There's no real wrong way to play the game--even people just starting out can participate in content like tempest trials if they happen to be up

The good wiki:
https://feheroes.wiki

Discord channel:
https://discord.gg/qVFB9bV

I really like this game and now I want to play a real Fire Emblem! What should I play?

Fire Emblem no subtitle or Fire Emblem Sacred Stones for GBA are both excellent starting points, and GBA is emulatable on any phone that can play Fire Emblem Heroes. Fire Emblem Awakening for 3DS is also a good starting point. Once you jump in, we'd love to hear from you over in the Fire Emblem megathread.

Credit goes to AGoat for the original version of this OP.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Nov 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Phone games suck.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Don't forget to vote.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

i voted for cynthia, btw

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

arigato gozaimasu

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

voting isn't just a right, its a responsibility

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Ruggington posted:

Don't forget to vote.

nah

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

No one's actually posted the link yet

https://events.fire-emblem-heroes.com/vote

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nah's not bad, but I voted Morgan instead. Hope you can understand.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
ive voted for hector every single day and yet lyn is still winning. now i'm no mathematician but that just don't add up.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Countblanc posted:

ive voted for hector every single day and yet lyn is still winning. now i'm no mathematician but that just don't add up.

Hector is in two games, splitting the Hector vote.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Countblanc posted:

Where do they show who's winning?

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Countblanc posted:

:troll:

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Grozz Nuy posted:

Where do they show who's winning?

there's no real-time feed, but the japanese FE Heroes twitter is supposed to update about the standings again on thursday

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Phone games suck.

That was my initial thought, but then I remembered Fire Emblem rules, so I am cautiously optimistic

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
I will probably play this, but try to avoid paying money. If it seems like I'll need to pay money to be able to actually make progress, I'm out.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Please vote for bara Ike instead of twink Ike.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
please vote for henry

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Here's my ballot as of today:

I am running out of votes and there are so many good characters left!

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Phone games suck.

Most are lovely clones of each other.

Once in a blue moon you get a real beauty like Final Fantasy Record Keeper that is a legit good game.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Enjoy your 6x8 maps all. Farewell

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This should probably be in the first post, alongside the link to the site proper https://fire-emblem-heroes.com/en/

Tired Moritz posted:

Seconded. Vote for the cooler Ike instead of the cool but not as cool Ike please.

Also I guess I should post my votes too.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

here's my votes

Wassbix
May 24, 2006
Thanks guy!

Evil Eagle posted:

Enjoy your 6x8 maps all. Farewell

Is the map really 6x8 :whitewater:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wassbix posted:

Is the map really 6x8 :whitewater:

yes. every map is 6x8.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Endorph posted:

yes. every map is 6x8.

Phone games suck.

shitty poker hand
Jun 13, 2013
Hector is the only real choice

e: that is, you must choose which hector to vote for

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

This one's gonna be good though

shitty poker hand
Jun 13, 2013
I, for one, am ready to spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars trying to get a single palette-swap Hector in a sea of lovely, like, Lyns or something

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Tired Moritz posted:

Who says you have to pick just one!

Endorph posted:

yes. every map is 6x8.

For now, but gacha games always have a lot of feature creep because they want to give you new reasons to put money in. I would not be at all surprised to see larger, more complicated maps added as the game matures.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
They're not going to change the map. If they're going to add in features, it'll either be support conversations or a dumbed-down pair-up system.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

grozz have you voted for cynthia yet

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I'm optimistic about this, since it's DeNA involved and they can actually make good gatcha games (unlike say, Gumi).

The fact that it's not just button mashing like Brave Frontier and their ilk is good. Mini-SRPG maps sounds like a fun little thing.

It'll ultimately come down to how useful the lower star units are and if the gatcha rates are anywhere in the realm of sane.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Super No Vacancy posted:

grozz have you voted for cynthia yet

Not yet, I've mostly stuck to PoR characters so far except for Hector and Ephraim. If I have room when I run out of characters I particularly care about I'll toss her a vote for you.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Dr Pepper posted:

I'm optimistic about this, since it's DeNA involved and they can actually make good gatcha games (unlike say, Gumi).

The fact that it's not just button mashing like Brave Frontier and their ilk is good. Mini-SRPG maps sounds like a fun little thing.

It'll ultimately come down to how useful the lower star units are and if the gatcha rates are anywhere in the realm of sane.

My suspicion is that due to the insanely high pool of available characters (compared to something like Fate/Grand Order where the pool to draw from is relatively limited) they can crank up the chance to get something good/popular fairly high without moving the chance to get something specific outside of whaling range.

Or they could just make the gacha a neverending stream of rolfs and martys I guess

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

cheetah7071 posted:

Or they could just make the gacha a neverending stream of rolfs and martys I guess

That sounds like the best thing ever. Sign me up!

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I've done nothing but vote for Hector so far and will be outraged if there isn't a kickin rad Armadscopter version of him at launch :colbert:

Also wow I didn't know DeNA was in charge, that makes me a ton more optimistic. FFRK is a ton of fun, I've been playing it for like two years and have spent all of $2 on it. If the dev team for this game runs it like FFRK, expect that as an F2P so long as as you dick around a few times a day you should be able to clear all the content they throw at you. You might not get your favorite character when you go take a spin at the gacha, but you'll end up getting a new favorite when the gacha gives you a top tier Bartre or something that proceeds to hard carry you for months.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

cheetah7071 posted:

My suspicion is that due to the insanely high pool of available characters (compared to something like Fate/Grand Order where the pool to draw from is relatively limited) they can crank up the chance to get something good/popular fairly high without moving the chance to get something specific outside of whaling range.

Yeah this is true. They could make it so that there's a set of rate up characters, but make it like 6-7 of them each set, then give the 5 stars a decent rate. That way you have a decent chance of getting something good, but if you want a specific character you're not guaranteed. (Which is what FFRK does)

Of course, the player will actually have some control over what they pull for, since you can pick and choose which of the three types of unit you pull for for a set.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Smaller scale 4v4 Fire Emblem battles will be a lot of fun, I don't mind the limitations this game has at all. If I want bigger stuff I can play the 3DS games.

It's a different experience being offered here and that's why I'm interested in the first place

That and making a team of four different Annas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

Yeah this is true. They could make it so that there's a set of rate up characters, but make it like 6-7 of them each set, then give the 5 stars a decent rate. That way you have a decent chance of getting something good, but if you want a specific character you're not guaranteed. (Which is what FFRK does)

Of course, the player will actually have some control over what they pull for, since you can pick and choose which of the three types of unit you pull for for a set.

Yeah, I'm fairly confident it won't be terrible on getting characters you want. My biggest worry is that it turns out like Phantom of the Kill (which is a Gumi property, granted, so that doesn't help anything) where the stats were so out of whack there was no middle ground. You were either steamrolling things or so completely out classed that there was almost nothing you could do. One of the things that also contributed to that was characters could only equip one weapon for the entire map, which I think I heard is still going to the case here? I hope not.