Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Blaze Dragon posted:

Whoever voted to get both Corrins in, but especially to get female Corrin that high, have incredibly bad taste.

Also there's no characters from the first six games apart from Marth (twice) and Roy. The Tiki that got in is from Awakening. I guess this is the strength of the worldwide fanbase, I'd expect a lot more from the earlier games from the Japanese fanbase despite no one having personalities in the first three games.

I mean, Anna is in the old games as well, technically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

micaiah is one of the best lords in the series and its a shame that she has her game stolen from her by the cowardly ike

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Micaiah is an idiot who would have gotten her dumb rear end killed multiple times over if not for her significantly more competent sidekicks.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

perhaps the same could be said of all fire emblem lords

edit: except sigurd, who succeeded in getting himself killed in spite of his more competent sidekicks

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Micaiah is a good character in a wrapper of things that make her look like a bad character. 99% of the time, the character with a friendly animal companion, an unusual and strikingly beautiful physical trait, a curse that really makes her better than everyone else, and a secret royal heritage is just going to be complete garbage

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's not her fault that she was in a game with a stupid plot device, really.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

99% of the time, the character with a friendly animal companion, an unusual and strikingly beautiful physical trait, a curse that really makes her better than everyone else, and a secret royal heritage is just going to be complete garbage
Iunno, I liked Ike too. seems like fire emblem is good at handling those sorts of characters.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

for real though you've just described like 95% of characters in both mythology and fantasy fiction, minus the female pronoun, so hm.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Endorph posted:

Iunno, I liked Ike too. seems like fire emblem is good at handling those sorts of characters.

it's very racist to call Ranulf that

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

it's very racist to call Ranulf that
can i call mordecai that

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Endorph posted:

perhaps the same could be said of all fire emblem lords

edit: except sigurd, who succeeded in getting himself killed in spite of his more competent sidekicks

Sigurd had competent sidekicks? I guess Oifey kind of counts, but that's really more Seliph's IMO.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

voting for the user avatars is the dumbest poo poo i've ever seen

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

leo and niles being high is ok. elise too. wonder if the lower marth will drop off if people concentrate their votes on the other one

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Henry is so close to top 10 I can taste it

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I'm in shock that Hector is top 3

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Last Celebration posted:

Sigurd had competent sidekicks? I guess Oifey kind of counts, but that's really more Seliph's IMO.
i mean ayra was competent at killing people

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Clicking that twitter feed has a bunch of people :smug: as gently caress about Fates/Awakening not dominating. I don't get it. Why can't we all like our husbandos and waifus in harmony?

So much :salt: about Tharja

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a bunch of people are really mad that a series they love got popular, for some reason.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

i don't really have an affinity towards most of the cast of those games but at least it's not nowi

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Some people think that the fact that they were into something for longer makes that thing more theirs. Seen it a thousand times. It is the way of fandom.

I think that something like this is still going to get people more interested in the games they haven't played anyway.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

for real though you've just described like 95% of characters in both mythology and fantasy fiction, minus the female pronoun, so hm.

Snow White is poorly written, too

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

I don't get it. I started Fire Emblem with Awakening. I started TRPGs with Final Fantasy Tictacs, and the Game Boy versions really didn't fill the hole and were completely lacking in tactical nuance. I got on board Awakening when I saw it was TRPG, enjoyed the colourful cast and unforgiving nature of the game.

Then I found out that this makes me forever a pleb. Sad.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Clawtopsy posted:

I don't get it. I started Fire Emblem with Awakening. I started TRPGs with Final Fantasy Tictacs, and the Game Boy versions really didn't fill the hole and were completely lacking in tactical nuance. I got on board Awakening when I saw it was TRPG, enjoyed the colourful cast and unforgiving nature of the game.

Then I found out that this makes me forever a pleb. Sad.

It's okay, in 5 years you too can be smug about how you started with the 3DS instead of with the Switchcube 64

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Endorph posted:

i mean ayra was competent at killing people

Well yeah but so was Lewyn and I still wouldn't trust that dude to advise anything before he died.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Endorph posted:

a bunch of people are really mad that a series they love got popular, for some reason.

doubly funny when awakening could've been the end of the series if it didn't take off as much as it did

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

It's okay, in 5 years you too can be smug about how you started with the 3DS instead of with the Switchcube 64

well in 5 years henry will still be the best dad :colbert:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Last Celebration posted:

Well yeah but so was Lewyn and I still wouldn't trust that dude to advise anything before he died.

I would however trust Lewyn to advise things after he died.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Brother Entropy posted:

she's got the niche of being the first mage you get and she's got that yuki nagato factor, i can kinda see it

Lute is as high on the English list as she is in part because she is a gaming gremlin. (Warning: NSFW, language and stuff.)

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Lute is as high on the English list as she is in part because she is a gaming gremlin. (Warning: NSFW, language and stuff.)

How have I not seen this yet?

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

DoctorStrangelove posted:

How have I not seen this yet?

And there's a (12 minute) sequel, which even makes fun of people who whine about the new games.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Aren't these the results of the global voting bloc? I didn't think they were doing it independently by region/country.

I mean, that would explain why the Corrins are on the list in the first place, since they always end up high on the Japanese lists. At least there are some decent picks there, to make up for all the lovely ones in the top 10. Also, how the hell did Nino of all people crack the top 20? Are people just voting for her since she was in the trailer? She's not from a recent game like a lot of the trash choices, and I wasn't aware she was a particularly popular character, even limiting choices to just FE7 - let alone everything.

vv edit: ...I didn't even see her, though at #11 I'm going to claim she fits the "lovely ones in the top 10" part. I'm going to go with she's there because of a joke/meme voting bloc from somewhere, because I refuse to believe she's legitimately that popular overall.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jan 26, 2017

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I didn't realize people liked nowi, especially more than tiki

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Dresh posted:

And there's a (12 minute) sequel, which even makes fun of people who whine about the new games.

Fuckin beautiful.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Countblanc posted:

I didn't realize people liked nowi
The vote includes voters from Japan.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
Oh nice, dena's behind this? FE on the toilet go is such a fun premise and now it might actually be good.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

The vote includes voters from Japan.

According to the popularity poll, Japan doesn't care for Nowi that much. This is all on the West.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Super No Vacancy posted:

voting for the user avatars is the dumbest poo poo i've ever seen

Robin's a good character, is the thing. Well, the Robins are good characters, to be more precise, but you get my meaning.

I mean, yes. They're the Avatar, and they're both relatively low key (M more than F) so they can bounce off the entire cast more easily, but Robin's solid. He's (going with Male Robin for convenience of typing) good at both feeling like your guy in the plot most of the time and at having a personality and relationships with the other characters. The Chrom and Robin and Lucina dynamics are kind of the heart of the story, and Robin plays his part well as the more reserved, cautious counterpart to Chrom's brashness. There's twists that pay off earlier moments, and the crippling self doubt hidden by good humored self-effacement is a nice flaw to balance out the fact Robin's portrayed as a genius's genius.

He's brilliant partially because they made a character that fits the Avatar role. It makes sense Robin talks to everybody, because Robin's kind of a workaholic and believes the team that trusts is the team that triumphs, so of course he talks to everyone and obsessively tries to help with their problems. And, because of the self esteem thing, he's kind of a doormat, so he gives a lot of room for the other characters to indulge their quirks.

With Corrin around to show how easy it is to gently caress up the concept, Robin shines all the brighter.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

cheetah7071 posted:

Please game responsibly and don't be a whale

i got itunes giftcards just sitting everywhere from random sources so theyre all gonna go into fire emblem!!!!

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Hector is in the Top 3, all is right with the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Robin's a good character, is the thing. Well, the Robins are good characters, to be more precise, but you get my meaning.

I mean, yes. They're the Avatar, and they're both relatively low key (M more than F) so they can bounce off the entire cast more easily, but Robin's solid. He's (going with Male Robin for convenience of typing) good at both feeling like your guy in the plot most of the time and at having a personality and relationships with the other characters. The Chrom and Robin and Lucina dynamics are kind of the heart of the story, and Robin plays his part well as the more reserved, cautious counterpart to Chrom's brashness. There's twists that pay off earlier moments, and the crippling self doubt hidden by good humored self-effacement is a nice flaw to balance out the fact Robin's portrayed as a genius's genius.

He's brilliant partially because they made a character that fits the Avatar role. It makes sense Robin talks to everybody, because Robin's kind of a workaholic and believes the team that trusts is the team that triumphs, so of course he talks to everyone and obsessively tries to help with their problems. And, because of the self esteem thing, he's kind of a doormat, so he gives a lot of room for the other characters to indulge their quirks.

With Corrin around to show how easy it is to gently caress up the concept, Robin shines all the brighter.

:agreed: but his name is Frank.