Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Viscardus posted:

I'm really curious about the economics of this game. Every time I'm vaguely tempted to spend money, I look at the prices and remind myself how expensive it is. I mean, ultimately I'm not surprised that they can get away with charging so much, because there are always people willing to spend ludicrous amounts of money on free-to-play games; I just can't help but wonder if it would be more profitable if orbs were cheaper, or if you were somehow guaranteed to get something worthwhile for your money. I know I'd be more likely to spend $20 on the game if there wasn't a 95% chance I'll get nothing I want out of it. But I guess if these gachapon games are that popular in Japan, there's probably data that goes into their pricing model. Maybe I just don't understand the mindset. :v:

https://www.slideshare.net/nicholaslovell/lovell-where-thewhales

https://www.swrve.com/images/uploads/resources/swrve-monetization-report-2016.pdf

Turns out it is perfectly normal to have the top 1% of spenders account for more revenue than everyone else, combined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Tae posted:

Xander was marx

And Leo was Leon. But then the translation team deprived us of Soviet Nohr.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Welp. Even though I've been aiming for the other focus characters on hero quest, I somehow got two copies of Genny.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Silver Falcon posted:

Your feather questions have been covered, but the free units you get range from... bad to OK/decent to godlike. Subaki and Cecilia are both decent. Cecilia moreso with inherited skills. Olivia is the one you want to look out for. At 3* she gets the Dance skill, which lets one of your units take another action. It is stupidly useful.

What does Cecilia need to inherit? My 4* Cecilia is the best green mage I have, but she's really disappointing compared to 4* Tharja, 4* Mae, or 5* Genny.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

So last pull got me Ninian, +HP -Atk, what's the standard build for her? I checked a build guide and am gonna give her WOM and have already given her Hone Attack, but it seems super pointless to give her Triangle Adept since she's basically a Dance machine and that's it. Especially when she's minus attack.

I think it's more about tanking reds than killing reds. Unless you have some serious movement abilities, you have to bait at least one enemy certain maps. If you are running 3 glass cannons + dancer, triangle adapt allows her to bait someone like Celica.

Speaking of which, I'm just going to give up on Legion Lunatic for this run. Pretty much all the F2P guides* use at least one GHB unit, and this is my first GHB.

*OK MKV's guide doesn't, but it relies on letting Draug tank every single non-mage, at the same time, and I don't have any Draugs.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

cheetah7071 posted:

Lunatic GHBs are around the difficulty of chapter 9 lunatic or so. Depending how long you've been playing they may or may not be possible without being some sort of tactical god.

e: I guarantee mkv could have cleared with your roster, whatever it is, but we can't all be mkv

Well, you were right. You inspired me to clear Legion GHB Lunatic. I traded six stamina potions, two Laslows, an Azama, an Eliwood, a Cherche, and a 3* Legion for a 4* Legion. Was it worth it? No, but at least it's done.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

I can't even one-shot that 40 Archer at the beginning of the map. Do I need to pull for bowbreaker? or is there an easier to acquire unit that can be subbed in?

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Andrast posted:

I used Xander and he didn't ORKO the archer on my winning run either. You can just finish him off with some other unit after using Xander (or equivalent) to tank the first round.

Will Stahl or Eliwood work? My only GHB unit is Legion

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

FartingBedpost posted:

I mean, if you want more archers, you should draw from the orb that gets you them. I'm pretty sure the golden rule is "don't roll from orbs you don't want". Colorless just sucks a little more because of the multitude of different classes in it, but I've gotten a looot of Gordins on colorless pulls.

The other colors have plenty of consolation prizes in terms of inheritance fodder. So it doesn't feel bad to look at all the random 3*-4* you summoned. But so many 3-4* colorless heroes are terrible at combat and terrible at being inheritance fodder ~cough~staves~and~daggers~cough~.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

THE loving MOON posted:

I oughta consider giving Ninian Bowbreaker, I've already got her set up with Lightning Breath+ and Fury. Replacing Quick Riposte with Bowbreaker would make her a respectable Lyn counter.

Clarste posted:

...Does she have enough defense to survive even a single round from a Brave Bow?

2 X 47 will kill a neutral Ninian with Fury 3. A neutral Brave Lyn with her default A skill (Swift Sparrow 2) with brave bow+ does 2 X 44 initiating. Even a basic spur attack 2 or hone attack 2 would let Brave Lyn kill Ninian. Alternatively, a neutral Brave Lyn with Deathblow 3 and Attack+1 Seal wouldn't need a buff at all.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

The White Dragon posted:

it just has to do with AI action order. i'm not 100% sure why rein with no skill moves before dancers, or why he moves after if he has a skill, but he does. the only exception that i've noticed is if he starts his turn in attack range, in which case he'll always move before the dancer.

AI movement priority when there are no targets in range is always

melee (no support skill) > ranged (no support skill) > melee (support skill) ~DancersBeHere~ > ranged (support skill) > units that cannot attack AKA healers

If there are multiple units in the same category, the units in the front of the team will move before those in the back. So a melee team leader without a support skill will always move first when there are no targets in range, and a healer in the last team slot will always move last.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Tired Moritz posted:

Anyone got some cool tips and tricks for beating the turn map with Faye, Gaius and Arthur? I can kill Arthur and Faye but the red mage would just scoot up and nuke people.

I think I used a heavily buffed Mae, since she could 1-round the blue melee and tank the red mage. Ursula could probably do the same with horse buffs, or Delthea/Linde if you have one.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Tired Moritz posted:

n-no blue mages other than m!robin

not even an Odin, though I do have a 4* Ursula

A level 40 4* Ursula with Hone Cavalry, DB2, and Lancebreaker (thanks Narcian!) should be able to do it. You''ll have to dance Ursula, though and then reposition/pull back the dancer out.

Anyone have a strategy for Turn Limit 3 on hard?

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Silver Falcon posted:

Yeah, OK. I'll just take my 4 Orbs and 1800 feathers and go home, thanks. I really don't think I could squeeze that many points out of my Xander+1, Rein, BowLyn, and Amelia team.

Tae posted:

I can get 686 or 4800+ with bow lyn, rein, azura, bike unmerged.

Xander has a higher BST than Azura, and Amelia has a much higher BST than even BIke. So you just need more SI.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Tae posted:

This is why everyone picked Bowlyn. Better to get Nino and bare instead of lissa and saizos.

This works until you get desperate for Deathblow3/Breath-of-Life3/Bowbreaker. If only the other healers and daggers had something worthwhile for skill inheritance.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

psymonkey posted:

Man... I feel like the support system + free brave unit really F'd up the game, at least for arena. I just cleared 7 advanced in a row on my first try. Granted, I did mess around and roll a Reinhardt and Brave Roy (-atk :|, still better than anything else I have) a few days ago. So now I'm running Brave Lyn, Reinhardt, Brave Roy, and Ninian. The super aggressive nature of arena AI makes it like shooting fish in a barrel. I still can't clear a lot of 40+ stuff so there is a lot of game left there, but man.. Arena was actually an interesting challenge/crapshoot a week ago.

That's what I thought last week, when Brave Lyn/Mae/Olivia/Cecilia allowed me to easily get 7-advanced deathless wins. Then I swapped Mae for Brave Lucinia and now advanced is nothing but slightly merged horse emblems against my not-fully-SIed team. I guess this makes me a proper player now, but I'll need a lot more SI to play at this level.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Andrast posted:

I love the high defense

Can she duel every variant of Brave Ike?

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

TheKingofSprings posted:

I don't think she can duel any variant, she'll get cratered with a Bonfire

Then at least Palla still has a niche (only flyer that doesn't explode when faced with Brave Ike), even though it's not a great one.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Elyv posted:

WoM is better for loving people over with your Arena defense team and probably better in single map, but it can be worse in Chain Challenges/Tempest/etc because it's not hard to get your dancer below 50% and then you have a teleporting dancer for the rest of the challenge

E: Speaking of arena defense can someone explain to me how my kagero/olivia/bowlyn/rein lineup has no defense wins in 2 weeks

Take reposition and swap off of kagero/bowlyn/rein. Since they're ranged, these characters will move after olivia if they have an assist ability.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Tired Moritz posted:

so they're telling to 5* f!robin.

but i dont have a spare raventome or triangle adept. :(

If you're still low enough to mostly face base Bow-Lyn, 5* bowbreaker F-Robin can handle those on their own. You only need TA-raventome when you start seeing BB+ Bow-Lyn, and I don't see those that much at 680-685. It doesn't matter to me, since I don't have any bowbreaker or TA.

EDIT: TA1 raventome+ F-Robin is apparently better against Cancel Affinity shenanigans, but I haven't actually seen one of those in the Arena at my level.

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 18, 2017

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

ChronoReverse posted:

I guess the nerd joke is way too old these days.

^H is the backspace character back in the days of terminal emulators. I was typing engage and defeat the Borg, as in the Defiant from Star Trek.

Anyway, my Cecilia can take a hit from any Lyn build and ORKO back.

How? My Cecilia can't ORKO Lyn if the Lyn is on a defense tile, and I was tired of missing kills against tanky colorless foes on enemy phase followed by :wom:. So I put QR on Cecilia, since my team is too red heavy anyway.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Ugh. I hope the 4* BK is pretty low because I have never pulled any of these characters. Please come home Ike.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Tired Moritz posted:

so how many times had you guys seen a bowlyn+reinhardt+dancer comp?

Enough times to make TA Raven Cecilia is more important than Bow-Lyn.

LightningSquid posted:

+SPD/-anything not ATK. Although honestly I run a +SPD/-ATK Nino and it's only given me trouble a few times. (I sacced a +SPD/-DEF Nino for drawback and I'm still kicking myself for it.)

Some whales on reddit said that +SPD/-ATK Nino is optimal at whale BSTs. There is so much distant counter at that tier that you can't run -DEF effectively once Nino reachs 5*+7~8 merges. But normal players like us don't worry about seeing that madness.

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 21, 2017

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

I finally got a Ninian, but I need triangle adept so she can actually kill things. Should I pull for Ike, Elincia, or wait for a different red?

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Truth Quark posted:

Pulling for Ike/Elincia gives you a chance to get Roy who has TA3 at 4*, and both Ike and Elincia are great units so its worth it imo. The biggest determining factor is your current roster though, because if you already have a good player phase nuke red then they are somewhat redundant.

I guess I'm pulling for Ike, then. Elincia would have to compete with Brave Roy for a spot, but I don't have any distant counters at all.

If I don't get a defense with my Valter-BRoy-Olivia-Sanaki team in the next few days, I swear I'm promoting Mathilda and feeding her to BowLyn.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

TheKingofSprings posted:

Is there a way to redeem a -spd +def Tana

Is that basically Valter on a Pegasus?

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Cobalt60 posted:

This is all extremely helpful to my understanding of the game.

And yes, I assumed that the overt sexpot riding a dragon would be a good attacker, but no, her role so far has been mostly "arrive to battle and die."

You would think that revealing armor would mean she has high defense. But she actually has one of the best resistances for green melee units. I think the whales use her for Distant Counter Mage-counterkills, but you are a long way from that. She's basically only good for being Julia with a higher BST for arena scoring.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Cobalt60 posted:

This is me. I've never played any of this series - I just side-stepped over when I hit endgame in FFBE and don't have as many daily tasks anymore. It seems pretty fun, better than everything else I tried in this category for sure.

No offense to those who seem to champion it, but the story is not keeping me in the game. If anything, the large portraits of many characters may be why I quit this game. I cannot pose as a respectable man while also flashing Lolita-knight-fantasy-devianart on my screen...

EDIT: This was meant to be a positive post, like "game is fun even without story, imo" not an argument of whether a prepubescent underdressed girl is or isn't 1000 years old

It's totally fine to know nothing about the Black Knight in Fire Emblem. But if you've never heard of any stories about a Black Knight, it sounds like you missed an entire genre of literature. You can't touch chivalric literature without stumbling over a Black Knight or two. Hell, even Monty Python has a Black Knight. It's like saying I don't know what a Gentleman Thief is.

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Sep 23, 2017

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Cobalt60 posted:

pulled my first Brave Lion Roy and he's +HP/-DEF. That's not a hot IV, is it?

Since Brave Roy is all about taking a single melee hit to proc Galeforce, +HP/-DEF is effectively neutral. Neutral Brave Roy is still one of the best melee nukes in the game, though.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Brave Roy is one of the few legit Galeforce users in the game. So if you want to pretend to play Awakening again, it's either him or spending multiple 5* inheritances on Cordelia/Tana.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Tired Moritz posted:

QR3 is overrated

But what about the extra arena score?

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

The White Dragon posted:

after further analysis i've figured out why this tempest is so junk: almost every map is passive-aggro so 1) you have to tank and 2) you basically can't auto-play it

e: addendum 3) titania is loving terrible

4* BK/ CYLucina / Absorb Genny / Whatever-green-needs-SP can clear Hard 5 on autobattle about 40% of the time. Once I get 5* BK and slap a spare Renewal 2 on him, I'll try autobattling Lunatic 5.

Edit: I think the key to auto-battling is about avoiding weakness and having sustain. Auto-battle will have glass cannons, triangle adapts, and flyers suicide on the first or second map all the time, but good, not-glass-cannon melee units with sol or renewal almost always make it to the last battle on autobattle Hard 5.

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 27, 2017

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Fritzler posted:

I do Sword Ike, Gronnblade Soren, Ephraim (I removed his fury, really increases his AI controlled survival rate even with no A skill) and Genny. Genny is the one who dies the most actually. Absorb would probably be great on her, but I'm not going into colorless for a chance for it. My first team by itself finishes the Hard 5 probably 80% of the time. A third of the time Genny dies early, and that can really lead to the scenarios where she dies early.

Colorless hell sucks, but you'll need to dive in if this meta continues anyway. I'd be much more willing to build a fun Setsuna if there was another source of bow-breaker. I also need more Felicias so I can create more medics without losing my good Felicia.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Ranged dancers. Do you know what that means? On defense, you can put an assist on Reinhardt/BLyn/Ranged nuke and they will go before dancer Inigo/Shigure/fan Olivia as long as they are left of the dancer on team order. You can ensure your dancer will dance Reinhardt/BLyn/Ranged nuke.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Should I 5* Alfonse in an attempt to enter T20 for the first time, or should I use (P)Olivia as my bonus unit, and just accept dropping down to T18?

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Fritzler posted:

Probably the dancing banner because it has a decent 5* colorless in Olivia? You will eventually get Wrys for free, who honestly has all of the best healer skills other than Wrath and Absorb.

That's one of the reasons we call it colorless hell. With ten really lucky pulls, you can get everything you need for healers. Meanwhile the other colors have skills needed for dozens of SI builds, and merges to boot. Merges only help for arena and lunatic/inferno BHB/GHB, which are the two places healers do worst. So you don't even need to merge any healers.

Daggers are in a similar state. Outside of the limited time daggers, only Felicia, Jaffar, and Kagero have good SI, and they're also the only good ones. But at least you'd want more than ten good daggers, if only to give out lots of LoD3 and BoL3.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Centzon Totochtin posted:

My arena core is Reinhardt, Nino, and Olivia so I tested out Ryoma, Inigo (gronnraven, TA, Bow breaker) Reinhardt and Nino today in Arena to test it out. The team itself isn't terrible but the highest rated team I got was 351 (702 starting tomorrow) which would be hard pressed to stay in T20.

Ryoma's already one of my higher rated Reds, so my options are to replace him with Black Knight, Ike+1,r Brave Roy+1,or Xander, or replace Inigo with Green Azura.

Also, when this current season ends in an hour, I'll have enough feathers to add another merge to Reinhardt (+7), Nino (+6), or Black Knight (unmerged) or Xander (unmerged) if I end up using them. Any thoughts on what my best option is?

Black Luna is a useful 500sp skill. I think Tana, Cordelia, Brave Roy, and the two Ikes are the only other characters that can realistically benefit from 500sp skills. Unless you are willing to give Aether/Galeforce to Ryoma, you're probably better off with BK.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Tae posted:

Only got 4771 because of one death due to random distant counter. So many armored units. might have to switch Lyn's bow back to her legendary.

But BowLyn's B skill cancels distant counter, not her bow. Besides, what else would you use for BowLyn's B skill? Cancel affinity is only good for cheesing defense wins against people who don't pay attention. It's not that useful when the player is controlling her. A buffed BowLyn doesn't need bowbreaker to beat other archers. You don't need desperation when you can ignore distant counter.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Tae posted:

I kinda hope that if they deny us the Distant Counter brothers again, then give us Ursula at least. It's been an insanely long time for her as well.

I think they're trying to suppress horse emblem with these antics. But this doesn't do anything about the hordes of Xander/Camus/Ursulas from older players, it just creates a bigger gap between new players and older ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Got 4818 arena score, mostly thanks to BK's huge BST contribution. Is that enough to break into T20 from T19? I'm surprised at how few dancers appeared in 686-690. Only saw an Axura and a dancer Inigo in the entire deathless 7 run.