Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
So I opened a 3* Nino and felt a deep, instinctual urge to feed her levels. So I got her to level 20+, realized how many billions of feathers it would take to raise her star rank, and then immediately opened a 4* Nino. Such is life. Luckily, it's super easy to level up in this game.

Also I opened a 5* male Corrin on my first roll, but that disgusted me so I rerolled and got 5* Elise instead. Apparently I was pretty lucky to get a 5* at all though?

Sadly my team is basically being carried by Gunter, which feels wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

Honestly depends on what you want. Azama and Elise can heal themselves when healing others, Serra and Lissa can buff the party's SPD/ATK when they heal. Until we get a full comprehensive list of what everybody learns it's hard to compare.

Elise also has the ATK buff on heal, although it's got a cooldown.

Also I just opened 5* Hector and 5* Camilla in the same set; I must be a god. That's a lot of Green in my party though.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

night slime posted:

What are the cost decreases for orbs when you summon? I kept thinking it was 5-4-3-2-1 but it isn't.

5-4-4-4-3, I think.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

How/when do you get more swords for arena fighting?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I see. So when does the day start then?

Is it when the Virion special mission timer expires?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

slouch posted:

So if I rolled a 3* Corrin, a 3* Tiki and a 3* Robin will they eventually be able to reach 5* rank or do you need to pull an actual 5* straight from the machine for it to be optimal? I don't really understand how thisworks and I don't want to throw away what seems like three good characters.

Once they reach level 20, you can spend a billion Hero Feathers (obtained mostly from Arena rewards) to "promote" them into a higher star version of themselves. This also resets their level to 1. So you can turn a 3* into a 5* with 40 levels and 22,000 feathers (which should take more than a month to collect, according to current estimates). Getting from 1 to 20 is fairly trivial, so the feathers are the main obstacle.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Feb 4, 2017

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Healers... can heal.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

What is the difference between a five star and a five star focus?

Once people figure out what's what a new OP would go a long way to less questions like this! :)

A five star focus is one of the four heroes shown on the banner you're selecting (Legendary Heroes or Devoted Allies, or whatever). It just means you have an additional 3% chance to get one of those heroes specifically.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Nuebot posted:

Can you get Roy from the Marth banner or are featured characters exclusive?

I got Marth from the Roy banner, so probably.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

9-4 is also a dumb as gently caress fight. Hope you feel like using a revive item if you don't have some high res green units with good speed because the masked guy can and will completely obliterate any units that actually try to move down a hall to get in range of him thanks to his dumb atk/spd stats.

I killed him through the wall with Nino. 9-5 was way harder for me.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Is there any character/skill list available yet? I kinda want to see what exists.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

RobotsLoveSpectres posted:

How many defenses have you guys done in the arena so far?

I've got 2, somehow.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

9-2 is basically a "Don't bother unless you have mages of the right colour or a 5* hero whose hard enough to just laugh at subtypes altogether" map. (I mostly got through it by healing and kiting with Lucina, who doesn't have armourpiercing but is hard as gently caress.)

You don't need mages of the right color; I just healed through it while tanking with a 4* Gunter. Also with mages of the wrong color. And a 5* healer I guess.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 4, 2017

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I got my first 5 star unit and the difference between them and even 4 star people is kinda crazy. Or maybe Falchion is just extremely good even discounting Lucina being 5 stars. I'm still making my way through the story decently well with a bunch of 2 star units though so she just seems really overpowered. But I guess Hard and Lunatic might change that.

The missions have a little star icon next to them which presumably represents the star level they're balanced around. You don't start seeing gold star missions until the final two missions on Hard.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The Shortest Path posted:

I decided to make a spreadsheet to dump each character's skills in as I find them, it's really bad and lovely and only has a couple dozen dudes but it is open for editing so other people can add the ones they have. It'll be useful for teambuilding I guess, also for determining which character(s) you want to try rolling for.

Anyone who is good at making spreadsheets look pretty and/or presentable please feel free to take a crack at it too.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SgmqdmU0P9gGfcnyZBo1R2sqff-pNSYi5CnHITdTbjo/edit?usp=sharing

I appreciate the idea of the spreadsheet, but is there a plan to list what the skills actually do, or is it always going to be just their names?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Also, for anyone editing the spreadsheet, keep in mind that you can look at skills you don't have access to by checking their skill list on their status page, as opposed to the Learn Skill menu. So you can see what someone will gain at higher * ranks. I noticed a couple places where someone stopped at level 2 of a skill with 3 levels, and looking at the wrong screen is the only reason I can think of for why.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Leveling new characters up to 20 or so is pretty trivial. Just go to a training tower mission slightly above their level and feed them all the kills. Past that the stamina costs and experience requirements get high enough to be a bit annoying though.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Nuebot posted:

But since the harder missions we have now already take up more than 1/6th of our stamina, that kind of progression won't last unless they give us a way to upgrade it. After all, they can't give us events and missions that take up all of our stamina per attempt, that's just straight up not viable.

Only 1/6? Ha, I wish. The highest level missions right now costs 23 stamina, pretty close to a half of the cap.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Incidentally, do you suppose there's a reason why our thread-made spreadsheet has twice as many red characters as the other colors?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

MegaZeroX posted:

Because sword FE characters are super common. I think red characters make up like half of the colors in the game. Heck, they even made characters like raven into an axe wielder to try to alleviate this.

If that were the case, why would they go out of their way to make dark magic users red, and Tiki and such?

And personally I don't have many red characters at all (I'm mostly Green), so I found it weird.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

2 star characters take 200 feathers to upgrade. Presumably it's 20 for 1 star.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

nerd_of_prey posted:

I know what orbs and feathers are obviously but what are all these badges and shards??

You need badges in addition to feathers to rank up characters. It's just that no one talks about the badges since they're (relatively) easy to grind. Specifically, you need 20 badges in addition to the 20,000 feathers.

Shards can be spent to level characters up to 20. Crystals are the 20+ version of shards.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Healers also don't scale into the lategame. 15 HP is amazing early on, but less so when you have 50 max and everyone does 20+ per hit if they do any at all.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Hunt11 posted:

She just hits like a loving truck which is made worse by her high hp and hp regen.

I don't think it'd be that bad if it were easier to get up in her face with melee, but the map is designed to prevent that, with a bunch of pillars everywhere favoring ranged units.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Hunt11 posted:

So what is lost on upping a unit? I want to up my Nino as so far she is my only mage.

You mean raising their star level? Pretty sure everything is lost. All your levels, all your stats, and probably your skills too (haven't checked). It's essentially trading her in for a brand new copy with more stars.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Camilla's a glass cannon, but the stuff you fight later can survive a hit from her. Which means she's dead and accomplished nothing. Green is a generally bad color since it's weak against Red, which is the most common color because of all the Lords and Tiki and whatnot, and Camilla also throws in a vulnerability to archers and mages (who will always double her because of the brave axe).

I mean, even if she killed literally anything instantly, she still wouldn't be that good because of how fragile she is. But she doesn't, so she's actually kind of bad.

Phyresis posted:

Arena's pretty simple if you have the right tools. Robin (Setsuna for paupers) sets up to counter Takumi or whatever. You can kite the entire team away from Hector or whatever tank and just deal with them at the end. Healers are incidentally just not worth a slot. They take up a quarter of your team and this game is completely alpha strike. Like 100% alpha there's no long game at all. The idea is to kill two of theirs with your alpha so that the rest of the match is 4v2.

I'm playing advanced arena at high levels (35+) using a slow, healer based strategy. Well, it mostly relies on Hector and Takumi, but the basic strategy is to hang back as much as possible so the AI splits themselves up and comes into range one at a time. If necessary, I can also kite annoying people like Lucina.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Feb 6, 2017

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Stagger_Lee posted:

I'm not really sure what my strategy should be with summoning, having not played these before. If i should just buy the 5-orb hero and get out if the kind i want most isn't there, or if just having a large number of heroes is helpful and i should always be spending 20 at a time.

It doesn't let you back out until you buy at least one, so that's not an option. Always go in with 20 at a time, just in case, but if there's a color you couldn't care less about feel free to leave it behind.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Dr Pepper posted:

So is Effie supposed to be this untouchable wall of slowly approaching death?

Of course. What would the point of an Armor unit be if they weren't? One movement is pretty terrible.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

That... changes a lot of things. Well, I guess I'm glad that instinctively tried to keep everyone alive despite believing that there was no reason to do so.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Takumi also loses to Takumi since you're not a stupid AI, so there's really no need for a Takumi counter in the meta.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Dr Pepper posted:

Unless, of course, you don't have a Takumi.

Well, we seem to have been assuming that everyone magically has Cordelia and Camilla, so...

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Honestly, the tiny number of units and total lack of randomness make me find the strategy in this game kind of more compelling than the actual Fire Emblem games. Less so when the level differences are too large, but it feels more like a puzzle.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

ComposerGuy posted:

So wait, do you only get the medals in arena if you win 7 in a row because I've been stuck at 1393 for forever.

The game doesn't make this clear, but it only keeps track of your highest score. You aren't grinding points, you're trying to get the most points possible before you either lose or get 7 wins. If you got 1500 points in 5 wins it would update, but not if you got 1200 points in 7 wins.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

OddObserver posted:

Any idea on what's up with the defense feature? Not getting anything on there.

People get matched up against your team and sometimes lose. You get points for that. I don't know the details. Personally I got 2 defenses almost immediately and then none since then. I think you'd need to have a very particular kind of team for people to lose to you though. And I'm still not sure how it determines which of your teams to use.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

ComposerGuy posted:

I think 4x 5* Hector could at least give it a run for its money.

Nah, you'd only need, like, 2 Hectors at most. Takumi is useless against Hector.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

3x Takumi with a Tiki to murder all the Hectors.

Yeah, Tiki is a real pain for Hector, and therefore my entire team. Honestly she has enough defense and speed to be real annoying to Takumi too.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

akulanization posted:

Takumi, Fae, Dancer, Healer is what I run. Armors are a literal joke because they can never get in range to do anything before they get one rounded.

Hector has Ranged Counter and always gets counters with two hits if he's above 80% HP at the start of battle. He'll kill Takumi on a counterattack, and most mages too since he's got a billion strength. Not sure how he'd do against Fae though, since you don't see many.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Heaven Spacey posted:

Also from what I've seen in the arena Elise looks leaps and bounds ahead of the other healing units. She gets Recover to heal for base 15, has a balm effect (though I can't remember which one it was), I'm pretty sure she had the spell that lowers a unit's ATK by 6 when you tag them with it, she gets a skill that allows her to self-heal for half of all the healing she does, and to top it all off, she's mounted so she gets three movement.

She heals for 100% of the healing she does when the skill is maxed out, she has the +ATK balm (which has a longer charge time with Recover), and she gets Gravity, not ATK down, as her special spell. Gravity reduces their movement to 1 next turn. Honestly Gravity seems pretty bad to me in most cases though, since to even use it she needs to end her turn within 1 movement of an enemy, so I have her using the basic one that does more damage.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Lilina is terrifying to Hector.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Kyte posted:

Merging the free Donnels will get you 30 SP and lower his promotion cost to 1850 feathers.

The feather discount is equal to the amount you'd get for just throwing them away though, so unless you really want that SP and will definitely promote Donnel eventually, you're better off just sending them home.