Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Paul Zuvella posted:

What's the point of this mode, exactly?

I don't actually have any of these heroes, including Klein

Elyv fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Mar 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

This one can't just be tanked with Tiki

I suspect only hector can truly tank it

Effie was doing a pretty good job but then the axe knight decided to stop by

I think I might have to, gasp, run a healer

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

meanwhile, on the other side of the bracket...

E: by the way, how do people get scores that aren't multiples of 100

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

OddObserver posted:

That still doesn't explain the 5 at the end, though.

Also if you look at the Ephraim Chrom Screenshot posted earlier, Ephraim's score ends with 1 and Chrom's with 2.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

How do you deal with Takumi? Are there non-Hector ways?

Ran into a team that had TWO Takumis.

I had a team with no takumi counters for a week because banners (Ephraim, eirika, young tiki, 4 star Odin) and I found I could take him out relatively painlessly with good positioning. Basically Ephraim or eirika would run up and whack him, get hit once back, and then Odin could come in and finish him off.

I actually ran into a team with 3 takumis and a Hector once. I don't remember what I did exactly, but I remember winning.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

eggrolled posted:

Yeah true, it's a pretty big negative when it's not something like Galeforce :(

Sorry Ursula.

My experience with Lyn was that galeforce is garbage and that Astra was better.

Young Tiki's ult is pretty great as 5 stars go, though.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Is there any way to watch your defensive battles? Apparently I got max score this season and I want to watch Effie and Kagero truck people

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I keep getting this level 40 takumi without close counter on my team in the voting gauntlet and it is the most tilting thing

E: as someone without a takumi but still with a good team, the most tilting part is that he's actually still pretty drat good

Elyv fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Mar 13, 2017

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Camilla is awful in the current meta so not her. I'd probably go for Effie.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Jenny Angel posted:

Thank you for the advice! I mean I'm still probably gonna keep Camilla on my team because she's way too endearingly horny to abandon, but presuming I drop her, who on that lower list in my first post would be the best to replace her with?

Before I answer, I want to explain how I think about level 40 arena(and why I think camilla is bad despite being a good unit in a vacuum). In my mind, a level 40 arena team needs, in decreasing order of importance:
1) An answer to sword lords. Just about every team you fight will have one, many will have two.
2) A plan for Takumi/mages. Everyone's got some of these.
3) An answer for Hector. It feels like half the teams I fight have a Hector. <Edit to swap>

Camilla isn't good against sword lords and Takumi for obvious reasons. I can't imagine she's good against hector because a brave weapon against an armored unit sounds extremely not good. She's great against mages but I don't think that's enough.

As for your others, old Tiki seems good to me. She should eviscerate Hector(Young Tiki certainly does) and do well against the ranged units as long as they're not blue mages and hold her own against non-falchion sword lords. Cordelia seems solid but occupies a similar space to Sharena and Effie in my mind, but much worse against takumi and probably better against the mages. I haven't rolled a Catria but she looks like she fills basically the same space as Cordelia.

Elyv fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Mar 13, 2017

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Andrast posted:

An answer for Takumi/mages is way more important than an answer for Hector. You don't see hector that often if your team doesn't have a high stat total. Compared to to that, Takumi (and mages) is everywhere.

Sure, I can believe that(and swapped accordingly). I've been incredibly lucky as far as my unit rolls go and don't actually know how arena matching works so I probably have that high stat total.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

A takumi who had Svalinn Shield would make me sad because my Takumi answer is Kagero.

Kagero is incredible in this meta, by the way. Just about every team has 3+ infantry.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

ChronoReverse posted:

Galeforce, being 5-charge, is also generally not as useful as her faster charging abilities.

I used Lyn in my arena team for a few days and I actually came to the conclusion that Galeforce is worse on her than Astra, since a lot of the time I'd have to attack the same unit anyway.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Ubiquitus posted:

If it makes you feel better, I have 4!!!! MRobins that are -spd +def. The gently caress will use is a mage that can't kill other mages but can take a facepunch from close combat units?

Owns Takumi, still has uses against sword lords

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

W.T. Fits posted:

That said, if she is green, it's gonna be that much worse for her since Falchion wielders are gonna get weapon triangle advantage against her on top of Falchion's effective against dragons bonus. I'm not sure being a dancer is enough of a benefit to outweigh that drawback; then again, I don't really invest too heavily in the PvP aspect of the game, so what the gently caress do I know? :shrug:

Seems pretty irrelevant to me, you get murdered instead of turbomurdered.

sassassin posted:

The hardest thing about fighting dragons is that their damaged pictures are sad instead of sexy.

Do people have trouble with them without falchions?

I just do normal weapon triangle stuff.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

W.T. Fits posted:

Kagero also does a stellar job at murdering dragons. Hell, she does a stellar job at murdering anything that's not cavalry, flying or armored... and sometimes even cavalry and flying depending on their Defense and Speed.

Hell, she even does fine against Effie if there's a convenient obstacle to kite around. She gets demolished by Hector but no unit is perfect I guess

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I've spent 0 dollars and have managed to roll Minerva, Fae, Lyn, Ephraim, Effie, 2 Eirikas, and 2 Young Tiki's all at 5 star (although I mulched the second ytiki and eirika for an extra level because it was before I knew about skill inheritance). This game is silly.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Oh my loving god

How many more times am I going to drawn Odin. This is my fifth one, gently caress off and let me have an Azura or a Dragon lady, jesus christ.

same except can I trade one of my 7 virions for a good archer

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Speaking of Effie, I've been finding her pretty unimpressive. I won a bunch of game in Arena today, and most of them basically involved Young Tiki and Kagero dancing around murdering everything while FRobin took an occasional potshot and Effie never even made it to the front line. I kinda want to swap her out for my Ephraim.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Yeah yeah inheritance and all that is nice but we're missing what's really important, which is that there's another quest that needs a high level armor team to all survive and this one gives orbs so I actually care about it :argh: Does anyone know if you use one of the rez items, does that still let you fulfill the quest?

Also it looks like inheritance for players means they can learn any skill a training tower NPC can learn to me

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Andrast posted:

I think I'm ready for the armor only quests

what do you do if like, there are green units
like, that one lunatic map that you could get some shards for had Hector

I guess you could just do a different map to reset the tower actually

If I Light's Blessing and end up with all my dumb armormans or horsemans alive at the end of the battle, does that count

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

\That was actually one of the stated goals for the game from the devs--that people could use their favorites without being screwed over. Pre-inheritance that wasn't even remotely true, but maybe after inheritance and the upcoming arena changes it'll be kind of true instead of not true at all

Where's Nephenee and Erk, then :mad:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

By the way make sure you grab the 6 orbs from the Special Map sometime in the next two weeks since for some reason there's no ingame indicator that there's new maps there

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Clarste posted:

They seem to have nerfed SP gain from the arena, actually. You only get 1 SP per kill there now.

You only get 1 SP per kill if you're level 40, if your lower level units get kills they still get 3.

(I found this out because I was finishing units with frobin)

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Andrast posted:

That's not true. You get 3 SP per kill in the training tower at level 40 (and uncompleted story missions). Completed story missions and arena kills give 1 SP.

I just jumped back into arena to check again and my level 39 FRobin had a +3 pop up when she got a kill. Admittedly I didn't check her SP totals before and after though.

E: oh, I think it's because she's a bonus unit. She leveled up to 40 in a later battle, got a kill after that, and still got 3 sp.

Elyv fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Mar 19, 2017

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Roger Explosion posted:

Getting this over to a new page.

Given the billions of points in the first Lucina-bowl, I reckon this will happen pretty easily.

Will we still get those clear rewards the second time around? I don't really want to alarm clock.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

So does a Young Tiki with Swordbreaker beat Lucina, because I am quite interested in that product and/or service.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Clarste posted:

Jaffar is the only one who can equip the Deadly Dagger. It's considered a unique weapon like the Falchion or Armads.

Is it actually better than Kagero's Poison Dagger+ in Arena?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Some thoughts and questions on the training training tower quests:

I'm at 8/15 on the armor quest with a level 40 5 star Effie, a level 37 4 star Draug, and level 29 and level 3 3 Star Gwendolyns. All I do is wait for the tower to show me a 3 unit team of exclusively blue melee, reds, and healers and let Effie solo that; even Draug doesn't really do much other than provide Ward Armor.

I'm doing something similar with fliers (10/15), not as extreme because my 5 star Minerva can't really solo maps, but her supporting cast of 4 star Camilla, Sheena, and Cordelia is able to actually pitch in, unlike the crap Effie has to carry, so they can do more difficult maps. Basically, if you're having trouble with these quests, cherrypick hard.

However, I just have no idea what to do with cavalry. I have no 5 star to carry me there and every time I've tried to use the same technique with my team of 4 stars they've been absolutely destroyed. Do I have to, like, wait to see 3 red units and then send in 4 mounted blues? Is there any other way of doing it short of 5 starring one of these mediocre cavalry (which is probably not worth it)?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Silver Falcon posted:

Do you think the armor one would work with a 4* Effie? I have a 4* but not nearly enough feathers to blow on her. I'd sooner promote my second Nino or even Anna or Sharena over her.

Enemy tenth stratum training tower NPCs appear to me to me to be level 40 5 star units with extra abilities swapped onto them, so I don't think a 4 star Effie could solo a blue. If you see like, sword sword healer you might be able to pull it off, but it's going to be hard to get 15 of those, even with Light's Blessing.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Roger Explosion posted:

The AI is pretty good at using Drag Back and it makes it a pest to take-on but the only utility I consistently used Drag Back for with Eirika is to retreat after KOing an enemy. Eirika will retreat a square regardless of their being someone to drag back or not, which is pretty helpful considering how squishy she is. Treat it like a hit-and-run. Also, pulling back people you can't finish off for a mage to kill is useful if you can get the positioning right.

I've been considering putting Drag Back on Minerva for exactly this reason, because she hits like a freight train but dies if anyone looks at her crosseyed.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I actually managed to clear the armored quest with Effie plus almost useless trash and the flier quest with Minerva plus useful four stars, although in both cases I lost a lot more than I won before I finally got to 15. Cavalry lol though, I have no 5 star horsemans to carry me and I don't think my lights blessings will be enough.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

What on earth was this 0.1 MB update, that's kind of tiny. Michaelis?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Silver Falcon posted:

Ahahahaha. I have the best-worst luck. Did a few of the Lunatic quests and did a couple more pulls on blue orbs.

5* Effie, +atk/-spd

Sure, game, continue to keep giving me very good units while I fish for my dancing dragon lady. She should help immensely in the all-armor training tower quest! Effie really wants a Brave Lance, yes? What else?

You're quite lucky, my Effie is +atk/-def which makes her an interesting unit because she's actually not that tanky, but on the other hand she one shots every unit that's not green or a blue melee unit when initiating(I haven't given her any new abilities other than pivot yet).

I haven't given her a brave lance but maybe I should, she might be able to one-shot opposing Effies in that case.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

So I have over 20k feathers now (barely), I assume I should 5 star nino?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

She's probably the best character in the game if you have the support so she's a pretty good candidate

I have at least an eirika and an ephraim and it turns out she's -hp +atk and also I've literally never rolled a 5 star ranged unit(promoted Kagero a while back) :getin:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Mirthless posted:

I want Minerva really bad but I've only gotten one green orb in five pulls and I'm getting mad at videogames

I've had Minerva for like a week and I don't think she is that great? She's the glassiest of glass cannons, which is more awkward on a melee unit than it is on a ranged unit. I also kinda want to put drag back on her(so she can murder something and get out of dodge) but I don't have any sources of that I think E: other than Eirika but well that's not happening

Elyv fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 24, 2017

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Andrast posted:

27 DEF and 40 HP isn't really that glassy. No RES though.

Well mine is -def +spd :v: In my experience, she can take exactly one hit, but maybe I'm just remembering the times things go badly.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rascyc posted:

I don't think intsys did either.

Nino being a weak unit at the beginning before becoming an unstoppable death goddess at the end is oddly appropriate given FE7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

So, now that I finally have a Nino I'd like to ask the thread the following: what should my team be? So far my core of YTiki/Effie/Kagero has been good, but I think I could do better. All units are still stock except for Effie, who grabbed Pivot and Spur Defense two from eating a Cherche.