Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Quick and dirty thread just to have some place to talk about the game.

:frogsiren:Here's the OFFICIAL Goon PC task force!:frogsiren:

Beta Details
Official Site and Beta Registration
Wikipedia

quote:

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands is an upcoming open world tactical shooter video game in development by Ubisoft Paris. It will be the tenth installment in the Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon franchise and will be the first Ghost Recon game to feature an open world environment. The game will move away from the futuristic setting introduced in Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter and will instead feature a setting similar to the original Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon. Ubisoft has described it as one of the biggest open world games that they have ever published, with the game world including a wide variety of environments such as mountains, forests, deserts and salt flats. The game will be playable on Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. It will be released on March 7, 2017.

TAKE DOWN THE CARTEL
A few years from now, Bolivia has become the largest cocaine producer in the world. The Santa Blanca cartel has turned the country into a narco-state. As a Ghost, you must stop the cartel by any means necessary.

BECOME A GHOST
Create and fully customize your Ghost, weapons, and gear. Enjoy a total freedom of playstyle. Lead your team and take down the cartel, either solo or with up to three friends.

EXPLORE BOLIVIA
Journey through Ubisoft's largest action-adventure open world. Discover the stunning diverse landscapes of the Wildlands both on and off road, in the air, on land and at sea with over 60 different vehicles.

Quick run down of the major features.
It has a soundtrack by Alain Johannes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jmzo4KvRmsM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dju9H_6uUOA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrnxMUZPF-4

:siren:CLOSED BETA STARTS ON FEB 3RD:siren:
Request an invite with your SA name!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/460930/
And here's our Discord!

The co-op is the biggest selling point for me honestly, I've been wanting a full campaign mildly tactical coop open world game forever.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Mar 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
can't wait to climb up and then snort down a cocaine mountain

Bogart fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 25, 2017

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
actually looks p cool

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Welcome to the newest Ubisoft game that will look great on the outside, drum up a little pre-release hype, and then turn out to be a horrible and clunky mess.

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm

Terrific Accident posted:

Welcome to the newest Ubisoft game that will look great on the outside, drum up a little pre-release hype, and then turn out to be a horrible and clunky mess.

but will eventually be fun 1 year post release!

I'm looking forward to this for the coop part. Messing around with buds in a sandbox is always fun.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anx_tlNtXgI

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

If it's as well optimized as their recent efforts then this should be a pretty fun 40/50 hour romp with buddies!

All I really need is good performance and stability, everything else I've seen looks aces.
We'll see how the beta runs!

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten
I'm very glad someone put this thread together, I'm really getting excited for the beta. I've ended up being really impressed with the post-release support for The Division and Siege from Ubi, so I'm willing to give this game a chance !

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?
I've heard nothing about this game since the E3 demo with the canned dialogue, which is always never a good sign.

That said, If I can make my dude look like he fell out of GRAW, that's easy points in Ubi's favor.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Yes, recent Ubisoft releases seem to Divide the playerbase somewhat. :pseudo:

If it's the Division, but not poo poo at release, I might be tempted, especially seeing as you can play offline. So the game won't just be a coaster when the internet or Ubi's servers poo poo the bed.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I played the tech preview a couple months ago. I'll answer what I can.

I'll be poopsocking the beta on PS4. Add me: joedbaker

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Seems like there won't be any TTK concerns from footage so far. Always good!

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Jose Oquendo posted:

I played the tech preview a couple months ago. I'll answer what I can.

I'll be poopsocking the beta on PS4. Add me: joedbaker

Can you change your gear loadout at any time or do you have to do it at like... safe houses and the like?
Same thing with the gunsmith.

Do you get ai team mates if you only get one buddy to join you in co-op?

How's the vehicle physics? How does flying handle?

Are there dynamic events that aren't story missions that crop up in the game world? Thinking like random stick ups with baddies and civvies or random rescue missions or just skirmishes between forces and stuff like that.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Deakul posted:

Can you change your gear loadout at any time or do you have to do it at like... safe houses and the like?
Same thing with the gunsmith.

Do you get ai team mates if you only get one buddy to join you in co-op?

How's the vehicle physics? How does flying handle?

Are there dynamic events that aren't story missions that crop up in the game world? Thinking like random stick ups with baddies and civvies or random rescue missions or just skirmishes between forces and stuff like that.

It was a few months ago and the preview was very very rough so I'll answer best I can.

From what I recall you can change your stuff at anytime. The rally points (safe houses) let you refill anything like ammo. I think that's how it worked.

You'll always have a 4 man team. So if it's two people you'll have two other AI members.

Vehicle physics were a little loose. I found it hard to stay on the roads. It did make it pretty fun because I could drive down hills and over obstacles like a lunatic to reach my objective. The chopper wasn't hard to use. The airplane though I think was broken or something. I couldn't get it to work at all. I would build up speed and try to pull up and it didn't do a thing. I'd just drive the plane right off a cliff.

I don't recall any real major dynamic events. Mainly just random groups of enemies that you could dispatch or ignore. There's a lot to do in each area though. I know there were some that I didn't necessarily get in my list of things to do. I'd just be driving around and I'd come across a point of interest.

One cool related story from it:
I was on my way to a mission and while driving I went through a town. The town itself wasn't part of a mission that I was aware of. It was just there. The town had a mix of civvies and bad guys. It was night time so most of the people were asleep including the bad guys. I didn't get a prompt for it but I just decided to kill the bad guys. They were all asleep in various buildings. I just snuck around from building to building executing them with a headshot from my silenced pistol. I was some sort of angel of death. It was pretty bad-rear end.

Like I said the test was rough so they may change all of the issues I had and include more missions and other things to do. Overall I really like the game play. You'll definitely get the most fun out of when you're with playing with your buddies and not bots. The missions started off with a little bit of hand holding but overall it was just "Your goal is to extract this dude. You figure out how to do it."

Noun Verber
Oct 12, 2006

Cool party, guys.
There's no way in hell I'm buying this game on release. Any game where the devs reinstate the NDA against anyone who publicly voices the slightest criticism against them like a bunch of petulant babies is destined to be complete poo poo. Also those animations are really bad man.

E: But no, I'm sure this game won't be a gigantic dumpster fire. Ubi has certainly got uplay to a satisfactory, stable state yessiree!

Noun Verber fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jan 26, 2017

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Noun Verber posted:

There's no way in hell I'm buying this game on release. Any game where the devs reinstate the NDA against anyone who publicly voices the slightest criticism against them like a bunch of petulant babies is destined to be complete poo poo. Also those animations are really bad man.

What happened?

Noun Verber
Oct 12, 2006

Cool party, guys.

Jose Oquendo posted:

What happened?

Literally any youtube personality (Bigfry's probably the most high profile) that said anything negative got their broadcast rights revoked, same as what's happening with Escape From Tarkov. If devs are more interested in punishing critics after they explicitly asked for criticism than they are in actually fixing the issues it's a pretty bad sign.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Do you remember any specifics on the negative things those guys said?

The game isn't GOTY material but from what I played it's definitely looking like a fun thing to do with 3 buddies.

Noun Verber
Oct 12, 2006

Cool party, guys.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Do you remember any specifics on the negative things those guys said?

The game isn't GOTY material but from what I played it's definitely looking like a fun thing to do with 3 buddies.

It was pretty simple things like saying the animations needed work, the AI was nowhere near developed, and that the game had all the standard ubisoft open world tropes (towers to climb etc.) that most people are sick of. Their videos are still up if you want to search for them, but it's not like they were takedown pieces, just generally pointing out flaws that were pretty glaringly obvious.

I'd like to be pleasantly surprised and see that this is the game where ubisoft doesn't outright lie about the quality of a game before release, and that they've suddenly gotten the uplay servers to a useable state. Everything I've seen about their conduct suggests otherwise, though. I'm not saying don't buy the game, but I'll certainly be waiting a month or so to see what the actual product they deliver is like.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
How realistic is this game, those who tried the betas? Can you compare it to something?

How long are the distances during campaign?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Sdoots posted:

I've heard nothing about this game since the E3 demo with the canned dialogue, which is always never a good sign.

I think the Giant Bomb bits with Alex talking about the surreality of the whole thing makes this game worth it, one way or another.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Vahakyla posted:

How realistic is this game, those who tried the betas? Can you compare it to something?

How long are the distances during campaign?

Can you clarify what you mean by realism? I mean the game isn't quite the tactical hardcore shooter like previous GR games but you do need to be mindful of the enemy AI. On higher difficulties you can be one-shotted as well so you'd definitely need to use better cooperation and strategy at that level.

As for the distances, it's a big map. You'll definitely need a car or chopper to get around.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Jose Oquendo posted:

It was a few months ago and the preview was very very rough so I'll answer best I can.

From what I recall you can change your stuff at anytime. The rally points (safe houses) let you refill anything like ammo. I think that's how it worked.

You'll always have a 4 man team. So if it's two people you'll have two other AI members.

Vehicle physics were a little loose. I found it hard to stay on the roads. It did make it pretty fun because I could drive down hills and over obstacles like a lunatic to reach my objective. The chopper wasn't hard to use. The airplane though I think was broken or something. I couldn't get it to work at all. I would build up speed and try to pull up and it didn't do a thing. I'd just drive the plane right off a cliff.

I don't recall any real major dynamic events. Mainly just random groups of enemies that you could dispatch or ignore. There's a lot to do in each area though. I know there were some that I didn't necessarily get in my list of things to do. I'd just be driving around and I'd come across a point of interest.

One cool related story from it:
I was on my way to a mission and while driving I went through a town. The town itself wasn't part of a mission that I was aware of. It was just there. The town had a mix of civvies and bad guys. It was night time so most of the people were asleep including the bad guys. I didn't get a prompt for it but I just decided to kill the bad guys. They were all asleep in various buildings. I just snuck around from building to building executing them with a headshot from my silenced pistol. I was some sort of angel of death. It was pretty bad-rear end.

Like I said the test was rough so they may change all of the issues I had and include more missions and other things to do. Overall I really like the game play. You'll definitely get the most fun out of when you're with playing with your buddies and not bots. The missions started off with a little bit of hand holding but overall it was just "Your goal is to extract this dude. You figure out how to do it."

Great to know.

Also, this is the first I've heard of Ubisoft slapping NDAs onto negative criticism... I feel like I've seen plenty of negativity about it in videos or otherwise.
Going to definitely need sources on that, my google fu isn't turn up much besides Bigfry bitching about the current lack of pvp and I guess critiquing the game's pre-alpha build looking like poo poo?

edit: This just seems fishy and totally against Ubi's M.O. especially nowadays.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jan 26, 2017

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Ubisoft make good games so this will probably be good

Orv
May 4, 2011
So I played in the tech test, gently caress the NDA police, people are kind of looking at this game wrong.

This game isn't GR. It isn't Rainbow Six. It's Saint's Row with a little thicker veneer of seriousness. This game will not challenge you terribly unless you go full 5 stars wanted level, and even then it's mostly just a chaotic loving mess. This game is for loving around and doing dumb tacticool poo poo that you have to fix when it all goes wrong because someone dropped a body through a roof. It's very good in coop, I don't think it's worth $5 as a SP game.

Mephesto Zieg
Jan 4, 2008
I'm too tired to be funny right now
For those that played the tech test, I'm after a Co-op, Tom Clancy-fied Crackdown, with bosses to kill and random dumb poo poo to do. Do you think this fits that description?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yes.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

How does the co-op matchmaking work? If it's as easy as Division, I'm in (only because I have it 40% off anyway), but if it makes me manually arrange sessions with people I know like Destiny - pass.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's an open world game, not an MMO. You invite them to your game through Uplay, they join, get to business.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Orv posted:

It's an open world game, not an MMO. You invite them to your game through Uplay, they join, get to business.
Which is exactly what Division is, bar the ability to play offline that someone mentioned for Wildlands earlier on. The Division never was, and never will be an MMO.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Whatever.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

While I love the concept of basically Division x Mercenaries, watching the polygon stream of this (https://www.facebook.com/polygon/videos/1432857210060236/) it honestly looks like a PS2 game. Very interested to see what sort of shape the Beta build is in.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
Two questions.

First one which is prob dumb, but how is everyone feeling about PC vs PS4 on this one? Did The Division run well/have a good number of players?

Two does it look as if single player will be a legit way to play this game or is it gonna keep leading you to group/have stuff that can only be done grouped

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm

GO gently caress YOURSELF posted:

I'm very glad someone put this thread together, I'm really getting excited for the beta. I've ended up being really impressed with the post-release support for The Division and Siege from Ubi, so I'm willing to give this game a chance !

:love:

Orv posted:

So I played in the tech test, gently caress the NDA police, people are kind of looking at this game wrong.

You mean the same NDA police that works for Ubi and gave you the codes for you and your buddy ? You were more than happy to comply on the NDA back then.

I assume whatever happened in the tech tests is still under NDA unless theres an offical page mentioning that you guys can talk about whatever you want.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

An Ubisoft developed open-world game!?! Never saw that coming

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

trash person posted:

Two questions.

First one which is prob dumb, but how is everyone feeling about PC vs PS4 on this one? Did The Division run well/have a good number of players?

Two does it look as if single player will be a legit way to play this game or is it gonna keep leading you to group/have stuff that can only be done grouped

Don't know anything about how it'll run on PC but the specs are reasonable.

Minimum system requirements:

Operating System: MS Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 (64bit versions only)
Processor: Intel Core i5-2400S @ 2.5 GHz or AMD FX-4320 @ 4 GHz
RAM: 6GB
Video card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX660 / AMD R9 270X (2GB VRAM with Shader Model 5.0 or better)
DirectX: DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010)
Sound: DirectX-compatible using the latest drivers
Hard Drive: 50 GB available space
Peripherals: Windows-compatible keyboard and mouse required, optional controller

Recommended system requirements:

Operating System: MS Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 (64bit versions only)
Processor: Intel Core i7- 3770@ 3.5 GHz or AMD FX-8350 @ 4 GHz
RAM: 8GB
Video card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX970/GTX 1060 or AMD R9 390/RX480 (4GB VRAM with Shader Model 5.0 or better)
DirectX: DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010)
Sound: DirectX-compatible using the latest drivers
Hard Drive: 50 GB available space
Peripherals: Windows-compatible keyboard and mouse required, optional controller

It's also not much like The Division... it's basically just an open world shooter much like Saints Row, GTA, Just Cause, etc.
It just so happens to have a pretty big selling point in that it lets you co-op the entire campaign with buds but you do get AI squad mates in sp.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ostentatious posted:

An Ubisoft developed open-world game!?! Never saw that coming
Hmm.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
This game looks like the closest thing we're ever getting to a sequel to Mercenaries: World in Flames, so I'm in good or bad.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

The ambient dialogue between the squadmates seems kinda neat! Hopefully it won't be repetitive after 30+hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I really hope this will turn out more like Strikeback: The Game and less like Generic Millitary Shooter: Bolivia edition. :ohdear:

• Locked thread