Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Statutory Ape posted:

has ubisoft not even commented on the disappearing gun attachments thing? i would assume thats a huge part of the game for a lot of people lol..

Not that I've seen.

The official forums are filled to the brim with bug reports regarding the new patch. Inventory loss, broken quests, no prestiege points being earned, some people are even reporting broken/lost save games in a game you can easily spend hundreds of hours on per save file.

This latest patch is an absolute train wreck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I'm actually having a lot of fun with Ghost Mode. Between losing ammo with each kneejerk reload, and the overhanging threat of permadeath, I've found myself progressing through missions and areas in a much different manner than I did back when I beat the game at launch. The exoskeleton stuff seems like a cool reward too.

That being said, I'm excited about putting hours of work into the mode, just to lose it all when the game decides that a usually non-injuring drop distance will randomly put me into an instant down state, and my idiot teammates end up stuck behind a building.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

GreatGreen posted:

Zero public response from Ubisoft at this point btw.

Annnd this is why you never, ever buy a Ubisoft game at full price, if at all.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Fart City posted:

I'm actually having a lot of fun with Ghost Mode. Between losing ammo with each kneejerk reload, and the overhanging threat of permadeath, I've found myself progressing through missions and areas in a much different manner than I did back when I beat the game at launch. The exoskeleton stuff seems like a cool reward too.

That being said, I'm excited about putting hours of work into the mode, just to lose it all when the game decides that a usually non-injuring drop distance will randomly put me into an instant down state, and my idiot teammates end up stuck behind a building.

I'm guessing you can't take the permadeath out of ghost mode?

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

GreatGreen posted:

Regarding Ghost Mode, you'd think that a dude as professional as a Ghost wouldn't just fling magazines to the ground during reloads.

:words: about reloading

Isn't this exactly how it worked in Raven Shield, 15 years ago? Makes sense to do that instead of exactly as you say, just flinging clips away.

Seriously though, permadeath in this game is simultaneously the dumbest and most amazing thing I've ever heard of.

If they changed the AI so it chased noise sources instead of your precise location when any of the following things happen:

- literally every loving thing that causes noise to put them on alert status.

then maybe I'd consider it, but otherwise, I just feel so very sorry for that poor loser (probably) kid out there who simply can't help himself but decide he has to solo Ghost Mode on Tier 1 at level 1 because he just has to impress the internet. They're going to have a mental breakdown well before they make it.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

markgreyam posted:

Isn't this exactly how it worked in Raven Shield, 15 years ago? Makes sense to do that instead of exactly as you say, just flinging clips away.

Seriously though, permadeath in this game is simultaneously the dumbest and most amazing thing I've ever heard of.

If they changed the AI so it chased noise sources instead of your precise location when any of the following things happen:

- literally every loving thing that causes noise to put them on alert status.

then maybe I'd consider it, but otherwise, I just feel so very sorry for that poor loser (probably) kid out there who simply can't help himself but decide he has to solo Ghost Mode on Tier 1 at level 1 because he just has to impress the internet. They're going to have a mental breakdown well before they make it.

"Hello YouTube! Today we're going to start on our journey of GHOST RECON: -" *flips over handle bars down mountain to demise*

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
So I figured out the deal with the bugged Rainbow 6 quest.

Basically, after the skirmish at the abandoned village, you're supposed to go to the big town/city to the sound, right in the middle of the city, to some apartment complex. Once you're there, the mission picks up and you can continue.

The problem is the game never tells you to go to the city to the south after the first fight. No direction from any NPC, no map icon. You just have to magically know, apparently. Maybe the game does tell you in some bizarrely subtle way, but enough people had problems getting the hints that the Ubisoft forums are fuming mad about it right now.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Honestly such a bummer they ruined a good game

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Statutory Ape posted:

"Hello YouTube! Today we're going to start on our journey of GHOST RECON: -" *flips over handle bars down mountain to demise*

I was thinking something more like "Right, that's three sectors completed, onto" *crosses road, is run down by a random civilian/rebel vehicle, instantly loses 80 hours of progress because of course they also turned off AI teammates"

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Ah yes, La Abuelita Boliviana

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Morter posted:

I'm guessing you can't take the permadeath out of ghost mode?

Nope. And I lost my progress last night when a SAM missile clipped through a mountain and blew my helicopter up.

Wildlands

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Fart City posted:

Nope. And I lost my progress last night when a SAM missile clipped through a mountain and blew my helicopter up.

Wildlands

all you had to do is dodge it

it's so simple v:downs:v

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

the dev's must have laughed their asses off at the idea of permadeath in this game

the guy that pitched it probably did it as a joke

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Statutory Ape posted:

the dev's must have laughed their asses off at the idea of permadeath in this game

the guy that pitched it probably did it as a joke

They didn't have to pitch it at all. The subreddit has been begging for this mode for a while now.

As much as you (and I) make fun of how terrible the idea is, this is 100% Ubisoft responding to what, at least some, of the player base wanted.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

The thing is, the limiting to one weapon and ammo conservation are really cool additions on their own. It makes you think more tactically in terms of playstyle. The problem with the permadeath factor is, like any open world game, there’s a whole lot that can kill that isn’t your fault. Death By Jank is a legit threat in Bolivia these days.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Permadeath wouldn’t be bad if it came with a mode that was built around shorter missions or capturing a few bases instead of a giant campaign.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
1.6 Gb patch?

We have just released a Hotfix on the PC version of the game, which is now accessible to download through Uplay and Steam.

This update addresses the following issues:

Added a short barrel on the HK416 and fixed the Iron Sight issue
Fixed an issue where the save slot was deleted after quitting to main menu if the player fails a mission while being downed in Ghost Mode
Adjusted Valkyrie’s image when she is calling the Ghost for the Archangel’s mission brief to match the appearance she has in-game
Fixed an issue in Observer Mode where the observer has the same End of Round or End of Match messages as the player they were spectating while in "Centered Camera" ("Victory/Defeat" and "Round Lost/Won”)
When in Ghost Mode, players now earn 50% more XP & resources

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Does this mean that in the 1.6g worth of patch they did not fix the weapon attachment problem lmao

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Anyone else ramming their heads against the second level of the challenge? My neck is so stiff from the repeated whiplash of seeing Cav's aftermath (:allears:) to how she behaves during the breach ("BRAAAAAAINS").

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Hey neat, in the weapon customization menu, you can “reset“ the amount of wear and tear on your gun and refresh the paint job. Never noticed that before.

Anybody know how the paint gets worn down in the first place? Is it done by time equipped? Bullets fired? Damage taken while equipped?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I assume mine is exclusively from traipsing down mountains

E: also up mountains

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Statutory Ape posted:

I assume mine is exclusively from traipsing down mountains

E: also up mountains

also directly into mountains

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe
Ghost mode is making this game fun again, although I miss motorcycles and helicopters a little bit. But motorcycles are far and away the number one way I die stupidly, so.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
I haven't really played much of Ghost Mode yet as I have a feeling that when I inevitably die it will be to bullshit, and I have no desire to compulsively pickup my computer and throw it through my monitor.

Having said that, even though the last patch pissed me off as much as it did, I've been stuck to this game like glue lately. There's just something about the gameplay loop of observe, plan, execute, helo to next place, repeat... that I can't get enough of. And on top of that, there's something about this game's M4A1. I've mained it for over half the game and I have no intentions of putting it down any time soon. It's just such a great and versatile weapon, and the sound effect of it firing suppressed rounds is super satisfying and never gets old.

As for the game in general, I like that it's confident enough in its own gameplay to not try to pull any FarCry 1 crap and drastically change the primary formula part way through the game, turning enemies to hyper aggressive bullet sponges because the devs thought the normal enemies are too easy / dumb or whatever. The fun of these games comes from making your way through puzzles made of lots and lots of weak enemies, any one of which could blow your cover at any time if you're not careful, not from fighting tougher and ever more annoyingly tacky dudes as you go. This game knows this very well and keeps you in that space pretty much throughout the whole thing. Yes, the gameplay is not as tight feeling as metal gear solid five, and there aren’t as many gadgets to play with, what is there comes together to make a pretty compelling, surprisingly addictive game.

So yeah, this game is pretty flawed in places but really fun overall.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 4, 2018

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
My first attempt at Ghost mode was going pretty well. I was making slow but steady progress in the first area (occasionally dipping over the border of the zone to the east). Until I landed a helicopter on the road to deal with the approaching convoy truck (the plan was to get out and pop the driver in the face).

The truck did not slow down. It slammed into the helo, which hit me. That knocked me down, which probably wouldn't have been fatal, if it hadn't immediately been followed by the truck flattening me into the road.

It was a good run, but I think I'm gonna try to get a group together before I attempt it again.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
I just beat the game for the first time. Holy poo poo that ending loving sucked. And the "true" ending you get from doing 100% of the missions sucks just as badly, just in a very slightly different way. Wow.

What is wrong with you, Ubisoft.

For the alternate ending, I was expecting Bowman to hang up her phone after talking with her boss who tells her about El Sueno's immunity, after which she looks at the guys and says something smarmy like "well, it's a shame I got that call two minutes after you guys killed El Sueno, huh" *wink wink* and then everybody lights him up. But nope, gently caress you, person who bought our game. -Ubisoft

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Aug 4, 2018

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Actually the "real" ending was one of the better ones I've seen in a video game tbh

What you describe in basically "America gently caress yeah". At least the way it was handled it acknowledges that foreign interference actually has serious implications and problems, a la Pac intending to just replace Sueno. Plus a deal being cut with Seuno for information.

I can't think of another triple A mainstream title off the top of my head that actually does attempt to do something beyond "gently caress yeah we killed all the bad guys mission accomplished." Well aside from the Metal Gear games but they go well past the realm of even remote sanity into Alex Jones conspiracy nonsense.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

doctor 7 posted:

Actually the "real" ending was one of the better ones I've seen in a video game tbh

What you describe in basically "America gently caress yeah". At least the way it was handled it acknowledges that foreign interference actually has serious implications and problems, a la Pac intending to just replace Sueno. Plus a deal being cut with Seuno for information.

I can't think of another triple A mainstream title off the top of my head that actually does attempt to do something beyond "gently caress yeah we killed all the bad guys mission accomplished." Well aside from the Metal Gear games but they go well past the realm of even remote sanity into Alex Jones conspiracy nonsense.

Yeah I get how much of a jingoistic circle jerk my described ending would be, and I get that the 100% ending is a lot more realistic and actually is much better sequel bait to boot than what I described. But... this is a video game, and I'd personally rather get a satisfying ending and be able to finally, solidly take down the dude I've just spent several dozen hours working towards taking down than being preached at about global politics and the futility of the human condition, then getting a big gently caress you from the developer.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Aug 4, 2018

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

beats for junkies posted:

My first attempt at Ghost mode was going pretty well. I was making slow but steady progress in the first area (occasionally dipping over the border of the zone to the east). Until I landed a helicopter on the road to deal with the approaching convoy truck (the plan was to get out and pop the driver in the face).

The truck did not slow down. It slammed into the helo, which hit me. That knocked me down, which probably wouldn't have been fatal, if it hadn't immediately been followed by the truck flattening me into the road.

It was a good run, but I think I'm gonna try to get a group together before I attempt it again.

I haven't tried it myself yet, but I've read that you can savescum Ghost Mode on PS4 by using the cloud. I'm about halfway through smuggling, and haven't died yet (I lucked out in getting a Unidad APC in a crate, and that's been my transportation mode of choice), but I've been uploading to the cloud after every game session just as a safety net. If I die on my own stupidity, that's one thing. But between physics bullshit and the absolute dumb-assery of having no defense against SAM missiles, despite certain missions forcing you to fly a plane or helicopter, I'll take whatever help I can get.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

GreatGreen posted:

Yeah I get how much of a jingoistic circle jerk my described ending would be, and I get that the 100% ending is a lot more realistic and actually is much better sequel bait to boot than what I described. But... this is a video game, and I'd personally rather get a satisfying ending and be able to finally, solidly take down the dude I've just spent several dozen hours working towards taking down than being preached at about global politics and the futility of the human condition, then getting a big gently caress you from the developer.

I agree with you. Both the ending mission and the game's ending were a big "gently caress you" to me. The ending mission was a chore alone so slapping me with that ending was a slap to the face and left me with a sour taste after having so much fun taking down choppers with LMGs and so.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

doctor 7 posted:

i honestly didn't mind the ending because its honestly depressingly realistic. i mean the only reason you are there is because the DEA agent false flagged the bombing and got himself killed so the goverment would get rid of the cartel because they wouldn't give a poo poo otherwise. they don't care about sueno or any kind of justice, if you pick the poo poo ending and karen kills him, she goes to jail and bolivia gets worse because the gang just goes to war with itself and breaks up into a bunch of worse gangs. at least with the good ending, they pretty much tell you if he tries this poo poo again, he is on the ghosts radar and will get his head blown in.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Far Cry 5 is hated for taking no stance, Wildlands is hated for taking one. :v:

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Weathers too warm, weathers too cold, in the same old zip code

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

The politics of Wildlands is super gross, but a solid - if hyperstylized - reflection on hypocritical interventionist history :shrug:

Like an entire player aspect of the game is collecting fancier clothes and tattoos to take on druglords dressed in fancy clothes and covered in tattoos.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Fart City posted:

The politics of Wildlands is super gross, but a solid - if hyperstylized - reflection on hypocritical interventionist history :shrug:

Like an entire player aspect of the game is collecting fancier clothes and tattoos to take on druglords dressed in fancy clothes and covered in tattoos.

ehh, cartels are evil as gently caress(yeah i know their are deep political and historical reasons for their existence and its mostly our fault) and i am fine playing playing magic spec ops man shooting some sicario in the face, its also like you said an ok critque of hypocritical interventionism. it works for what it is.

Safeword posted:

Ubisoft can't do anything right, etc. that being said apart from the gameplay/loops FC5 story is loving terrible.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Safeword posted:

Far Cry 5 is an absolute masterclass in being edgy and pissing off basically anyone who cares either way. While actually saying basically nothing at all either way.

It is actually pretty astounding.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

doctor 7 posted:

Far Cry 5 is an absolute masterclass in being edgy and pissing off basically anyone who cares either way. While actually saying basically nothing at all either way.

It is actually pretty astounding.

yeah. it went far enough to piss off chuds but not far enough to make internet liberals happy, hell sites like waypoint and polygon were pissed that the locals didn't call you the N word if played as a POC and that none of the enemies screamed "hail trump". anyway, a cult could have been a cool idea if they had gone in really deep with their beliefs and wants and poo poo. i mean Dead Space created an entire fake death cult religion and put a ton of work into it. Far cry 5 did jack poo poo about anything. Didnt help that the central theme is loving dumb and terrible and doesn't work in the game.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

I didn't even think far cry 5 had a central theme.

I am however glad that Wildlands made a solid if flawed attempt at deconstructing why the intervention was a bad idea. I was always baffled at how much poo poo this and the Division got for being supposed mouthpieces when they at least tried to question the player and their organizations.

I think they ought to just ditch the Tom Clancy name. I feel like people see that and lose their poo poo. Not that I blame them. His later books were just poo poo... Everything after Red Storm Rising should have gone in the shredder. Hell, the Rainbow Six games have better plot and nuance than the book it's based on.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I like how cheese the book is but yes, most RainbowSix games have better plot except Vegas 2, that one was dumb as hell but drat fun to play. Blindfiring that SPAS-12... :discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Quicksilver6 posted:

I didn't even think far cry 5 had a central theme.

I am however glad that Wildlands made a solid if flawed attempt at deconstructing why the intervention was a bad idea. I was always baffled at how much poo poo this and the Division got for being supposed mouthpieces when they at least tried to question the player and their organizations.

I think they ought to just ditch the Tom Clancy name. I feel like people see that and lose their poo poo. Not that I blame them. His later books were just poo poo... Everything after Red Storm Rising should have gone in the shredder. Hell, the Rainbow Six games have better plot and nuance than the book it's based on.

I think they need to signal "here be near-sci-fi techno poo poo", the name helps I guess

• Locked thread