Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
They paid good money for that trademark and by gum they're gonna use it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

so did they fix the missing attachments bug?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

free hubcaps posted:

so did they fix the missing attachments bug?

i was wondering this yesterday but didnt look into it. your post reignited my curiosity and a 2 second glance into the steam community forum says: lmao nope

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Guillermus posted:

I like how cheese the book is but yes, most RainbowSix games have better plot except Vegas 2, that one was dumb as hell but drat fun to play. Blindfiring that SPAS-12... :discourse:

God the whole thing where the book makes a big spiel about how Dr Evil Lady drives a environmentally friendly Toyota and is the only one to do so still makes me cringe thinking about it. Remember Bart Mancuso, the cool as hell US Sub captain I really liked from Hunt for Red October played by Scott Glen? By Debt of Honor he's giving speeches about how those punkass environmentalists were all wrong and the whales are actually doing just fine.

The thing that always struck me about his books is that no one is ever kind of a fuckup in an organization. My dad and grandpa always had trouble taking his "THESE WERE THE FINEST HUMANS AMERICA HAD TO OFFER" speeches about the military without snickering. Getting drafted and not being special forces gives you a whole different perspective, oddly enough. Although now that I think about it, Vegas 2's plot was about a fuckup. Which was actually pretty similar to Rogue Spear which I also liked - that one was about a guy who was disqualified from Rainbow, I think?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Quicksilver6 posted:

God the whole thing where the book makes a big spiel about how Dr Evil Lady drives a environmentally friendly Toyota and is the only one to do so still makes me cringe thinking about it. Remember Bart Mancuso, the cool as hell US Sub captain I really liked from Hunt for Red October played by Scott Glen? By Debt of Honor he's giving speeches about how those punkass environmentalists were all wrong and the whales are actually doing just fine.

The thing that always struck me about his books is that no one is ever kind of a fuckup in an organization. My dad and grandpa always had trouble taking his "THESE WERE THE FINEST HUMANS AMERICA HAD TO OFFER" speeches about the military without snickering. Getting drafted and not being special forces gives you a whole different perspective, oddly enough. Although now that I think about it, Vegas 2's plot was about a fuckup. Which was actually pretty similar to Rogue Spear which I also liked - that one was about a guy who was disqualified from Rainbow, I think?

ya we get it you identify with losers

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Quicksilver6 posted:

I didn't even think far cry 5 had a central theme.

I am however glad that Wildlands made a solid if flawed attempt at deconstructing why the intervention was a bad idea. I was always baffled at how much poo poo this and the Division got for being supposed mouthpieces when they at least tried to question the player and their organizations.

I think they ought to just ditch the Tom Clancy name. I feel like people see that and lose their poo poo. Not that I blame them. His later books were just poo poo... Everything after Red Storm Rising should have gone in the shredder. Hell, the Rainbow Six games have better plot and nuance than the book it's based on.

basicaly the theme of FC5 was "sometimes its better to walk away" which is really awful considering the various poo poo you see and learn. especially since this isn't invading some country, its chasing insane monsters off US soil.

i liked wildlands plot and they sorta hit the cartel feel about as well as they could, there is a free short podcast through audible about how in 2011 the DEA hosed up on a major case and got like 300 people massacred by the zeta cartel. its called making of massacre.

and yeah the point is correct. people just see the title and think its evil Chud trash that endorses trump. i remember a few articles/posts talking about how vulgar/reactionary sounding the ghosts were in wildlands, like, what the gently caress did you expect them to sound like, they are jaded sanctioned government clean up crew who do wet work, not academic types or stephen universe. pretty sure alot of spec ops people irl are like that, can't really blame them.

Guillermus posted:

I like how cheese the book is but yes, most RainbowSix games have better plot except Vegas 2, that one was dumb as hell but drat fun to play. Blindfiring that SPAS-12... :discourse:

what the gently caress is the plot of the vegas games? i know the main baddie is some fuckboi who was lovely agent and got mad because he hosed up and became an evil super agent or some poo poo. and i think their are narco terrorists? idk.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 7, 2018

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Statutory Ape posted:

ya we get it you identify with losers

I yam what I yam

E: The plot of the Vegas games is Vegas 1: You are chasing a mexican drug lady when all of a sudden Vegas is attacked by 10 billion mercenaries. You kill them all with 2 other guys. It turns out one of your squadmates in the prologue is a traitor, the other one dies. I think the drug baron lady escapes too? Extremely forgettable story wise.

Vegas 2: You are a new customizable PC now because no one cared about the first game's protagonist. You get a prologue years in the past where the future traitor, apparently your friend and protege, screws up a hostage rescue by being overly aggressive. You decide you're too old for this poo poo and you're going to not shoot people anymore. Suddenly you're in the present, out of retirement, and have to kill 10 billion mercenaries with the same 2 squadmates from game 1. Again. Also with a co-op partner if you want. He's called Knight, you're called Bishop. You kill the traitor by yourself and save America and Vegas. Ding Chavez "punishes" you for going off by yourself with a promotion to something. I forget. Incredibly stupid but at least I remember it.

Quicksilver6 fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 7, 2018

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. it went far enough to piss off chuds but not far enough to make internet liberals happy, hell sites like waypoint and polygon were pissed that the locals didn't call you the N word if played as a POC and that none of the enemies screamed "hail trump". anyway, a cult could have been a cool idea if they had gone in really deep with their beliefs and wants and poo poo. i mean Dead Space created an entire fake death cult religion and put a ton of work into it. Far cry 5 did jack poo poo about anything. Didnt help that the central theme is loving dumb and terrible and doesn't work in the game.

Now I want to have seen some loving ~*both sides*~ internet liberal quisling finger wagging everyone fighting the cult.

Anyway each update for Wildlands I hope adds a FAL and my hopes are dashed each time :(

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Quicksilver6 posted:

I yam what I yam

E: The plot of the Vegas games is Vegas 1: You are chasing a mexican drug lady when all of a sudden Vegas is attacked by 10 billion mercenaries. You kill them all with 2 other guys. It turns out one of your squadmates in the prologue is a traitor, the other one dies. I think the drug baron lady escapes too? Extremely forgettable story wise.

Vegas 2: You are a new customizable PC now because no one cared about the first game's protagonist. You get a prologue years in the past where the future traitor, apparently your friend and protege, screws up a hostage rescue by being overly aggressive. You decide you're too old for this poo poo and you're going to not shoot people anymore. Suddenly you're in the present, out of retirement, and have to kill 10 billion mercenaries with the same 2 squadmates from game 1. Again. Also with a co-op partner if you want. He's called Knight, you're called Bishop. You kill the traitor by yourself and save America and Vegas. Ding Chavez "punishes" you for going off by yourself with a promotion to something. I forget. Incredibly stupid but at least I remember it.

lol, thats some amusingly bad poo poo. i know its obviously digging to deep in to dumbshit but I am always amused what the 10 billion mercenaries think they are gonna get out of this deal. this is'nt some erick price type evil where you can basicaly do awful poo poo in country with some western protection and total US protection with big pay day at the end. you out and out blowing poo poo up in US mainland that will probably end in the deaths of affluent well off people which means the US would probaly give a poo poo about your terrorist actions. they arnt religious or nationalist nuts and your probably not gonna get payed at the end of the day.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

basicaly the theme of FC5 was "sometimes its better to walk away" which is really awful considering the various poo poo you see and learn. especially since this isn't invading some country, its chasing insane monsters off US soil.

That's the theme of FC3, 4 and 5.

e: and it's just ubisoft trying to be cleverer than they are and making a point about whether or not their video game glorifies violence in a 'have cake and eat it' kind of way

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Capn Beeb posted:

Now I want to have seen some loving ~*both sides*~ internet liberal quisling finger wagging everyone fighting the cult.

Anyway each update for Wildlands I hope adds a FAL and my hopes are dashed each time :(

its less both sidism and more a bunch of loving terrible lovely "critiques" that came out when the game released and had been building while the game was in development "why arn't the enemies trumpists" "why are their so many black people in montana" and "why arnt the towns folk insane redneck bigots.". a smart critique is "why is the cult so shallow and afraid of touching religion or politics in any sort of way, what does the cult want to accomplish, whats its beliefs, why did people join them,do they have a political slant. etc"
yeah the "why black people" one is real and not by alt right types.
https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/paxwzg/wait-why-are-there-so-many-black-people-in-far-cry-5

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 7, 2018

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Alchenar posted:

That's the theme of FC3, 4 and 5.

e: and it's just ubisoft trying to be cleverer than they are and making a point about whether or not their video game glorifies violence in a 'have cake and eat it' kind of way

4 is more that and it works to an extent there. 3 is more, "everyone is lying awful fuckhead" and its written by a pretentious moron who thinks he is smart if he include Lewis carol quotes.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

So how do i kill the predator? so far i just use thermal and shoot him when he pops up.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

4 is more that and it works to an extent there. 3 is more, "everyone is lying awful fuckhead" and its written by a pretentious moron who thinks he is smart if he include Lewis carol quotes.

Nah the ending of 3 is explicitly a choice between 'continue power fantasy' and 'it's time to walk away' and the player is told in no uncertain terms that one is a wrong choice. 4 places the choice at the beginning rather than the end of the story (it's executed in a better way, but I actually like the idea of 3 better because both the PC and player are being told 'time to leave the fantasy island behind').

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Alchenar posted:

Nah the ending of 3 is explicitly a choice between 'continue power fantasy' and 'it's time to walk away' and the player is told in no uncertain terms that one is a wrong choice. 4 places the choice at the beginning rather than the end of the story (it's executed in a better way, but I actually like the idea of 3 better because both the PC and player are being told 'time to leave the fantasy island behind').

good point.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Dapper_Swindler posted:

So how do i kill the predator? so far i just use thermal and shoot him when he pops up.

Yes.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

FadedReality and I ran around ducking behind trees and around the hillock blasting him with HTIs, rezzing other when one of us ate a plasmacaster shot. I used the NVGs at first because we engaged him at night but switched to regular mkI eyeball when the sun started coming up.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Aug 7, 2018

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Rocks and Trees are the strongest cover nature has devised and you should always be near one at all times.

Also don't forget what happened in the movies if you start winning.

There were much earlier posts complaining about how tough and difficult the Predator or beings surprised by the nuke that made me lol cuz YEAH THAT'S THE FILM YOU IDIOTS

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Dapper_Swindler posted:

It's pretty much that, it just takes forever. I got good mileage out of the Stoner LMG as well as any of the 12,000 anti-materiel rifles in that fight.

e: if you're trying to do it in solo it helps to order your team to stand out in the open like morons so that they can eat plasma bolts while you cower behind a nearby rock and take shots opportunistically provide cover fire.

GHOST_BUTT fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Aug 7, 2018

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

GHOST_BUTT posted:

It's pretty much that, it just takes forever. I got good mileage out of the Stoner LMG as well as any of the 12,000 anti-materiel rifles in that fight.

e: if you're trying to do it in solo it helps to order your team to stand out in the open like morons so that they can eat plasma bolts while you cower behind a nearby rock and take shots opportunistically provide cover fire.

thats what i have been doing, he keeps nailing me with the plasma rounds even behind cover.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

what the gently caress is the plot of the vegas games? i know the main baddie is some fuckboi who was lovely agent and got mad because he hosed up and became an evil super agent or some poo poo. and i think their are narco terrorists? idk.

That's basically it but whatever. You get to shoot bad guys with cool guns and the breach and cover system were actually good. And again, blindfiring was superb and when I played it first on the 360 I got the achievement "I like the sound it makes" for killing 150 terrorists with a shotgun. It was the first RainbowSix game I played where shotguns weren't garbage tier (coming from the old PC tittles up to RS3). Vegas 2 was a console game but it had shitloads of pretty princess options and different armor sets etc...

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

thats what i have been doing, he keeps nailing me with the plasma rounds even behind cover.

Have you tried quoting Arnie over voice chat, this is important and may give you the edge you need to not get Carl Weathers'd

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Yeah they kind of home in and any exposed body part is fair game. There's a kind of shallow ravine near where he spawns that has a series of rocks that you can lay down behind, if you position your team members in front of you then all you have to do is wait until he's lining up a shot and follow the laser.

If you have Fallen Ghosts, the M82 they give you works wonders because it's a semi-auto rifle, so you may be able to get two shots on him per appearance. I could only ever get one with the HTI but I am dogshit at this game, so your mileage may vary.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Dapper_Swindler posted:

its less both sidism and more a bunch of loving terrible lovely "critiques" that came out when the game released and had been building while the game was in development "why arn't the enemies trumpists" "why are their so many black people in montana" and "why arnt the towns folk insane redneck bigots.". a smart critique is "why is the cult so shallow and afraid of touching religion or politics in any sort of way, what does the cult want to accomplish, whats its beliefs, why did people join them,do they have a political slant. etc"
yeah the "why black people" one is real and not by alt right types.
https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/paxwzg/wait-why-are-there-so-many-black-people-in-far-cry-5

Oh I know all that, what I mean is the standard "if you fight back that makes you just as bad!!" gutless bootlicker would've been to see in FC5 and now that it's been mentioned it feels like a missed opportunity :v:

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I had plasma come out of the drat ground and blow my junk to bits, gently caress to all that.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

PROTIP: Cheese it by calling in a ton of rebels before entering the Predator-Ring-O-Death.

Gives him more targets and he dies way quicker!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Capn Beeb posted:

Oh I know all that, what I mean is the standard "if you fight back that makes you just as bad!!" gutless bootlicker would've been to see in FC5 and now that it's been mentioned it feels like a missed opportunity :v:

I had plasma come out of the drat ground and blow my junk to bits, gently caress to all that.

oh yeah, i hate that troupe/theme. it works sometimes but it loving stupid/guttless/horrible here.

Snuffman posted:

PROTIP: Cheese it by calling in a ton of rebels before entering the Predator-Ring-O-Death.

Gives him more targets and he dies way quicker!

thanks i am gonna try that.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

For Predator call in rebels & reinforcements, use an LMG and sniper so you don't have to use the ammo box. use a bunch of rocks to hide behind. I made a video you can skip through
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZUl3MXmQ6I

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Other tips for fighting the Predator:

- NEVER revive your AI buddies. They'll always manage to revive themselves and more importantly, you'll almost definitely be killed if you stick your neck out. Be patient.

- Don't shoot the Predator while he's running around cloaked. He's only vulnerable when he's completely uncloaked, and only for a shot or two then.

- If you don't like the rocks, there are two large trees pretty close to the ammo box. When you start the mission and run to the ammo box, I believe they're on your right. Hang around and between them (mostly between them) for really good cover.

- When in doubt, get back behind cover. Don't risk taking the shot if you're being targeted. You'll likely get hit and killed and have to start the whole loving thing over.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
So basically as it stands at the moment

- every time I launch the game the opposite of the previous mode I played between main campaign and ghost mode gives the impression it's going to start a new game. Ghost mode still then launches okay, but campaign terrifyingly loads a new character creation screen, then slowly loads my character, then when I select that character it loads my 250 hour game, but with no textures and poo poo but that's okay because
- all my keybinds and audio settings and hud settings are lost each time so I have to reset them every time so that gives the game time to load in all the assets
- stage 2 of the R6 mission, where you have to meet Twitch at the guys apartment is no longer triggering. I've done it the first time with just shotguns and QCQ, but now in extreme with no hud, I can complete the first part but I just never get the call. It even says I've completed the first two parts, so I'm doing it right, it just won't trigger the third.
- no hud can kiss my rear end. Everything else is kind of okay if you hate yourself I guess, but not knowing what throwable item you've got selected is just stupid.
- if all I get out of this is some voice emote and a t-shirt then I don't care, but is that all you get? I'm reading about some gloves/cqc animation.

This is a pretty impressively tested patch, especially given basic poo poo like not savings settings and appearing like you've lost you save games haven't just been hotfixed yet.

e: Also, do resources work with no hud? I can see stuff but it won't let me collect them.

markgreyam fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Aug 10, 2018

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
You get the gloves with a unique CQC animation just from beating the mission at all. If you've done it once, you should have the gloves. I'm not sure if they are character bound or account bound though, so you may have to run through it again to get it on a specific character.

I know when redoing the missions the opening radio stopped playing for me too, but just going to the truck/apartment worked fine.

Resources should work with no HUD. Are you hitting the right button? The button that you can't actually confirm is the right button?

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
Yeah I don't change the activate button, I can still get into vehicles etc.

I'll have to check for the gloves, thanks. I actually did go to the building but Twitch wasn't there. Maybe she'll appear if I just wander on in anyway.

E: I've got the gloves. I give up. I'll try for 25 cages on Extreme but otherwise whatever. All of these add-on missions have been garbage but at least they were all doable as opposed to buggy garbage.

markgreyam fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 10, 2018

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Here's a few tips for the Rainbow Six mission. Barring any bugs you encounter, it works pretty well.

For the little shack where you get ambushed, just stay in the building. Use your explosive drone and mortars to take out choppers and cars. Let your squad and rebels deal with the enemies. You won't even have to fire a shot.

For the big building at the end, hang out on the other side of river behind the shrubs. Use sync shots to to take out all the enemies. This will take some time as you need to do it in a way that doesn't trigger anything. There's a group of 4 guys that make a circle around the building. Save them for last. Mark 3 of them and you get the last one. Once the outside is clear, take the nearby chopper and land on the roof of the building. Land it on the lower roof. This is the part that can be tricky. Slowly walk off the roof, hugging the wall on the way down. If you do it right you won't take any damage. Clear the building. One thing to remember is that you don't have clear every room. Just take the most direct path to the dude. Take a shotgun and stand back. Blast the wooden panels open. You can have your teammates go in first, or call in a rebel diversion in that room. Anything to take the heat off you. Anyway, once you get to the dude you have to rescue, when you exit the room, you'll see a metal door. Open it, and you'll see the helicopter you placed there. Hop in, make sure the rainbow lady and her brother are on the chopper, and fly to the rally point.

It's slow, it's cheap, but it works.

edit: For the challenge with the rebel prisons, fast travel to La Cruz Bravo. South of that is a monastery with 7 prison cells. Free them, fast travel back to Bravo, rinse repeat. I just did the one for the PS4 task force this way.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Aug 12, 2018

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
Okay so apparently for the second time (and presumably third, I'm not there yet) you do the solo mission you have to manually trigger the second archangel mission. In hindsight that makes sense I guess because you're redoing a mission but ugh whatever.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

markgreyam posted:

Okay so apparently for the second time (and presumably third, I'm not there yet) you do the solo mission you have to manually trigger the second archangel mission. In hindsight that makes sense I guess because you're redoing a mission but ugh whatever.

I had to do it first time around. Only reason I knew was because of a post here.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Do you get any loot or anything for finishing the r6 mission?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Caveira's gloves, which apparently come with a unique CQC animation.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

So I figure with some time in between some games out later this year I may as well go through more of the content in this game. What's the best way to approach Tier 1 mode? Should I start a new game or just replay missions to get points? Any suggestions?

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Jose Oquendo posted:

So I figure with some time in between some games out later this year I may as well go through more of the content in this game. What's the best way to approach Tier 1 mode? Should I start a new game or just replay missions to get points? Any suggestions?

You can replay the entire game if you like, you'll get into Tier mode before you kill off all the bad guys for what it's worth.

Tier 1 mode is a lovely long grind though tbh.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Otoh playing on the hardest difficulty is refreshing because it changes up how you have to attack things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

doctor 7 posted:

You can replay the entire game if you like, you'll get into Tier mode before you kill off all the bad guys for what it's worth.

Tier 1 mode is a lovely long grind though tbh.

Can you do Tier One while playing Ghost mode? Might be a good way for me to kill two birds with one stone.

• Locked thread