Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pablo Gigante posted:

Around sixty nine minutes into the flight,

"Nice." Said Marth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
Avey gets up first “I’ll check out the cockpit.” He opens the door, and finds that nobody is inside, and every fuel tank is empty, so they can’t use Deakin’s piloting skills to leave.

“drat” says Avey, shaking his fist. “What the hell are we gonna do?”

“AC time?” asks Geologist….

“Hell yeah, AC time!” chants Panda.

Suddenly, the band pulls out a bunch of pots and pans, they bang on them for hours, yelling and dancing. You can kind of hear something resembling a song underneath all the noise, but it’s too nauseating to focus on.

After that, the band gets hungry, they leave the plane looking for food.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Pablo Gigante posted:

Around sixty nine minutes into the flight,

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
animal collective tactics

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.
Btw question im wondering about FFTA2....

In FFT for playstation the jobs abilities worked kinda like Final fantasy 5 where if you kept playing as that job you learned more stuff. But in FFTA, the job skills were tied to weapons and you learned the skills from them while using them, whcih basically means for example, you ahve to get far in the game's story before you can buy the ninja weapon that teaches you Two Sword, so you cant just grind it out like in the other games i said. How does ffta 2 work....

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Skylark posted:

Btw question im wondering about FFTA2....

In FFT for playstation the jobs abilities worked kinda like Final fantasy 5 where if you kept playing as that job you learned more stuff. But in FFTA, the job skills were tied to weapons and you learned the skills from them while using them, whcih basically means for example, you ahve to get far in the game's story before you can buy the ninja weapon that teaches you Two Sword, so you cant just grind it out like in the other games i said. How does ffta 2 work....

skills are still tied to weapons. you get a certain number of weapons through shops, and rarer stuff (like the two sword ability), have to be crafted through something called the bazaar. there's also a thing called the auction house, which is a bidding minigame you play against other clans, and you can get a lot of the more powerful stuff through that. if you're playing on an emulator, it's pretty easy to cheese.

i like it, personally, but if you didn't like it in ffta then it hasn't changed that much.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I liked the stupid poo poo you could do like dual wielding books as a sage and use magick frenzy illusion to whack everyone in the field with your books

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I've never played Final Fantasy Tactics but, I just want to say, that Deakin's album is good.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

I.N.R.I posted:

I love the original fft. please play the psp version if any of you play it. ive never played the original but i heard it had a bad translation

I thought war of the lions was considered the bad translation

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

NickRoweFillea posted:

No WoTL has shakespearian purple prose while original had infamous engrish lines such as "I got a good feeling!"

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Which one had the good Algus dialogue

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Also play Tactics Ogre/Ogre Battle games everyone. They are good as hell too.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
I loved the Calculator class in the original Final Fantasy Tactics.

They could use their Math Skill to nuke tons of enemies with a spell like Holy, with no mana cost or casting time. Or you could use them to cast Priest/healing spells on a bunch of your party members. Cure caused damage to undead enemies, too.

Captain Fuck Face
May 6, 2007

:] i like to read post :]

Plutonis posted:

tactics ogre: let us cling together freaking owns

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

Who knows man....(gazes forlornly to the stars) who knows.....He look. Orion's belt.

folder
Oct 9, 2016

Plutonis posted:

i love the art style of let us cling together (yoshida ftw every time) but i definitely hit a bit of a rough patch with the game at about chapter 3. i feel like i wasn't realising the full potential of my guys/classes and most fights were a real struggle

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

In FFTA, I used to have my low level units attack my main character for experience which is an insanely good strat unless you forget to unequip counter. The little reaction animation followed by Marche exacting revenge on the poor level 1 character is my most vivid memory of that game.

White Genocide
Feb 22, 2010

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

Who knows man....(gazes forlornly to the stars) who knows.....He look. Orion's belt.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

NickRoweFillea posted:

War of the lions is the one with the slowdown for magic

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

War of the lions is the one with the slowdown for magic

that was fixed in the android port, at least. although the rest of the game is a nightmare in terms of crashing and burning through phone life / battery

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.

tao of lmao posted:

In FFTA, I used to have my low level units attack my main character for experience which is an insanely good strat unless you forget to unequip counter. The little reaction animation followed by Marche exacting revenge on the poor level 1 character is my most vivid memory of that game.

Tbh I kind of feel like that stuff is a problem with the game design, and i love FFT but like.. I think its lame how you have to attack your own characters, equip junk skills to ppl just so they can get exp for taking some kind of action every turn, etc, if you wan tto 'make the most' of your time. Idk what the answer is but once you realize you can do this stuff, it creates this weird pressure on you and it feels like its contrary or at least unrelated to what the game is supposed to be about and I think ideally it wouldnt be like that. Maybe im alone here but i hope this wont be part of Kingdom Hearts Tactics.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Skylark posted:

Tbh I kind of feel like that stuff is a problem with the game design, and i love FFT but like.. I think its lame how you have to attack your own characters, equip junk skills to ppl just so they can get exp for taking some kind of action every turn, etc, if you wan tto 'make the most' of your time. Idk what the answer is but once you realize you can do this stuff, it creates this weird pressure on you and it feels like its contrary or at least unrelated to what the game is supposed to be about and I think ideally it wouldnt be like that. Maybe im alone here but i hope this wont be part of Kingdom Hearts Tactics.

Having an EXP bank would be chill

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Plutonis posted:

Having an EXP bank would be chill

This was my fave part of FE PoR

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Skylark posted:

i guess i don't do that kind of thing because i typically take the same 5 or 6 characters through the whole game, but i agree, it could be better. an experience bank is a good idea. a base with a training room or something where you can plop characters in their down time and they accrue jp and exp would also be good. maybe cap it so that characters can only get a certain amount at a time before they need to be taken on a story mission to make sure that you eventually take them out. doesn't x-com have something like that?

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Skylark posted:

Agreed. By the time I was doing that stuff I was in post-game just trying to get all the classes unlocked. I think it's really weird how counter-intuitive a lot of SRPGs can get. Disgaea like someone mentioned earlier is a real big offender, where you're creating giant stacks of dudes to set up a throwing chain to get to the next floor without fighting anyone because that's the best way to level up your items. It just doesn't feel right.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Is Divinity: Original Sin a SRPG or a CRPG?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

tao of lmao posted:

Agreed. By the time I was doing that stuff I was in post-game just trying to get all the classes unlocked. I think it's really weird how counter-intuitive a lot of SRPGs can get. Disgaea like someone mentioned earlier is a real big offender, where you're creating giant stacks of dudes to set up a throwing chain to get to the next floor without fighting anyone because that's the best way to level up your items. It just doesn't feel right.

I'm playing this game on steam that is a TRPG with mechanics that involve throwing people or stuff at other characters but it's not for pedophiles and has no insane grinding for turbo OCD people http://store.steampowered.com/app/540690/

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
See how an industrial revolution transformed the cultures of ancient Greece. From the luddite mobs threatening Athenian democracy to the great railroad of Thebes, Hellenica brings steamwork wonders to a brand new setting.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Plutonis posted:

I'm playing this game on steam that is a TRPG with mechanics that involve throwing people or stuff at other characters but it's not for pedophiles and has no insane grinding for turbo OCD people http://store.steampowered.com/app/540690/

That looks kinda neat. Is the main character a ware-bear?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

tao of lmao posted:

That looks kinda neat. Is the main character a ware-bear?

She changes out of bear form and to every 3 turns

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

tao of lmao posted:

Is Divinity: Original Sin a SRPG or a CRPG?

first one, then the other, but mostly the other

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Skylark posted:

true .. but at the same time, its not strictly necessary. but i like games to be challenging so its ok for me if i dont play "optimally" so long as i can show my skill in other ways

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Calculator ftw.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
is the psp version of tactics ogre much different to the ps1 version?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I.N.R.I posted:

is the psp version of tactics ogre much different to the ps1 version?

Fully redone graphics and a new system where you can warp to previous decisions and take them differently

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

sector_corrector posted:

it's the right balance between depth and insane grindy poo poo, imo. every disgaea game i've ever tried to play has been way too much on the grindy poo poo side. but yeah, SRPGS are my favorite kind of party based rpg, but not many people make them for whatever reason.

The reason is if you play enough 3rd rate poo poo srpgs they're really hard to balance in a way where the combat and skills are interesting but you have to use them to win instead of just like, hey grind for an hour and this one unit will destroy everyone

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Plutonis posted:

Fully redone graphics and a new system where you can warp to previous decisions and take them differently

ty, vita it is then :-]

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

has anyone played ogre battle 64

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

I missed the chance to buy it used from a video game store for like 5 bux a very long time ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

It sucks that marvel blows now because a 90s marvel tactics game wouldve been loving awesome

• Locked thread