Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Arven posted:

Like everyone else, I lurk here for the current events thread. D&D is full of broke brained man-children, while this forum is full of adults with real world experience.

I also had two friends who joined the Marines right out of highschool a decade ago, and I always was disappointed because I was disqualified because of an acute medical issue. Once I started lurking here I realized how lucky I was that I didn't make such a stupid mistake. Both friends have since admitted if they could go back they wouldn't have done it.

We're adults?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

guns for tits posted:

Huh. I'm just a civilian but it seems to me like it might be a bad idea.

Direct commissions are a thing for other jobs, like Doctors, Lawyers and such. I don't think any of them commission at Colonel which seems crazy as hell to me.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

On paper? Yes.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
:stare:

Hmmm, that would be a jump from E5 to O6...

No, no no no.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
be a COL dude please and just roleplay Trautmann from Rambo that's what I'd do

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

I would have to give up my beard, and that is one sacrifice I am not willing to make.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I'm not opposed to direct commissioning. It'd be just like medical. No one gives a poo poo about doc outside of his office. No one will give a poo poo about nerd colonel outside of his office.

It's not like they are asking direct commission folks to lead SF teams on daring raids in the congo or anything.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Have you read D&D?

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

That's news to me.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
gonna go crazy here and say the term "adulting" is dumb AF

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Direct commissions are a thing for other jobs, like Doctors, Lawyers and such. I don't think any of them commission at Colonel which seems crazy as hell to me.

I've met full bird captain doctors with nothing but a national defense ribbon. Recruiting good cyber people is a major problem that's been identified and there's been talk for a while at bringing them in at higher ranks just so they can offer competitive pay. They're comlletely isolated to their community and wont be line officers so they'll never be in command.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

gonna go crazy here and say the term "adulting" is dumb AF

This checks out.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Neurosurgeons have been known to direct commission @ O-5/O-6 if they're exceptionally qualified.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

we had a heart surgeon that direct commissioned as a O-5. Nice guy.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

I have the M.A.S.H. Box set. And I'm not an AARP member. My heros were direct commissioned O3's.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

TV M*A*S*H* was way too cheerful. Movie M*A*S*H* is where it's at.

Suicide is painless.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Movie mash sucked balls. The show was depressing as hell in a lot of episodes. Just not most of them that get played on tv the most.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

http://www.stripes.com/news/army-looking-at-direct-commissions-for-civilian-cybersecurity-experts-1.453101

Story originates on Stars & Stripes and I don't think they're one for jokes

lotta officers gonna flip lol

There's no way in gently caress they're going to get people who A: actually know what the gently caress they're doing, B: will actually have the stomach to join the military, and C: be able to be taken seriously by anyone currently involved in 'cyber'.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

IT WASN'T A CHICKEN

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

redneck nazgul posted:

There's no way in gently caress they're going to get people who A: actually know what the gently caress they're doing, B: will actually have the stomach to join the military, and C: be able to be taken seriously by anyone currently involved in 'cyber'.

Bingo.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

Movie mash sucked balls. The show was depressing as hell in a lot of episodes. Just not most of them that get played on tv the most.

the movie was the first major film to use the f word

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

I seriously want to meet the first person who does this, because I imagine it would be like watching Gordon Ramsey walk into a kitchen where all of the salads are prepared on the same cutting boards they use for raw chicken and the only explanation the staff can give is "But this is how we've always done it and nobody's ever complained before!"

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

the movie was the first major film to use the f word

Okay, and it had boobs. But the show was so much better story wise.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

Guess I should post ITT...

Also here for the least retarded CE thread and the idiots thread.

Got tons of mildudes on both sides of my family, my paternal grandfather was a badass seabee in the South Pacific during WWII. I talked a bit about him in the old drunk thread and sometime soon I'm gonna make a thread about what I've been able to put together from his time in the poo poo. Hopefully you guys could help fill in some blanks. My dad was a maintainer in the AF from 1960 - 68 (thuds, buffs, phantoms) but the limit of his excitement consisted of picking up radioactive debris from the Palomares broken arrow incident and catching malaria while on the Coral Sea. Like, actually on the boat, never set foot on Vietnamese soil lol.

I tried to join the AF after high school to work on A-10s. That was in 1992 when hogs were still based at Myrtle Beach AFB. That was also in the middle of the massive drawdown post Desert Storm and the recruiter told me straight up he had nothing to offer besides cook or MP. So I went to community college, promptly flunked out, then discovered the rave scene with all the fantastic drugs and loose women contained therein. Wound up working at the record store and DJing for years before I had to get an adult job.

Still think I made the right decision.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

You had an excellent recruiter.

Also, my dad was an A-10 maintainer until 1990, and a bunch of their forward bases in Europe were being shut down and the community was shrinking. They were offering awesome early retirement deals throughout the 90s. You probably had almost as good a chance at becoming an A-10 pilot as a maintainer.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

we had a heart surgeon that direct commissioned as a O-5. Nice guy.

The O6 I met at officer training command in Newport was a heart surgeon. Dude had a son that died while deployed and felt guilty. He left a multiple million dollar practice so he could go work at hospitals in Iraq/Afghanistan. This was in 2008.

While at OTCN I was thumbing through one of the navy newspapers there. One was listing bonuses for various doctor specialties. Experienced anesthesiologists were given a 250k bonus and guaranteed to start as an O3 or O4. I only remember that because I think it was the highest bonus offered.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

Godholio posted:

You had an excellent recruiter.

Yeah I did. He went to the same church as my family so he kept the bullshit to a minimum. Also I knew at age 13 I wouldn't be flying A-10s because I'm way too tall.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

redneck nazgul posted:

The especially funny thing about this is that O6 would not be even remotely good pay for the actual, no-poo poo experts (with those years of experience) they want to attract. "Competitive" pay would mean direct commissioning them as an MG, and :lol: you know that's not gonna happen.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Naked Bear posted:

The especially funny thing about this is that O6 would not be even remotely good pay for the actual, no-poo poo experts (with those years of experience) they want to attract. "Competitive" pay would mean direct commissioning them as an MG, and :lol: you know that's not gonna happen.

I don't know about other fields, but the bulk of medical pay comes in the form of annual/monthly bonuses. While it makes sense that most of your pay is not tied to rank, it has a major drawback if you retire, as retirement pay is based off of base rank pay only. For comparison, a GS physician gets a single salary and thus a higher pension; they have to work longer to get it, though.

The other downside of bonus pay is that you have to go through multiple sets of paperwork for each bonus, watch AFPC like a hawk as they will randomly disappear and they will never pay you back if you don't catch their mistake in time. And if you have a question, I hope you called Karen on the third Thurdsay in May after the chicken bones AND a Magic 8-Ball both said "Signs point to yes" or you will never get a straight answer.

The only point of rank is 1) a slight pay increase and 2) fewer people whose poo poo I have to put up with. I would be much happier if they would just make doctors and nurses G.S. or Public Health Service or something with a straight salary like GS. This would also help with the glut of godawful Nurnels (Nurse Colonels) turning everything they touch to poo poo.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Yeah, GS would make a lot more sense. I'm still wondering why the Army wants its own software people instead of just, you know, GS or contractors.

Granted, contracting poo poo out is probably why we have a huge mess of systems that are all lovely and redundant and don't work with each other, so let's just go with hiring them on as GS.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
bump

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Bring back Slippery

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

GoGoGadget posted:

Bring back Slippery

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

As long as this is on page 1, where can I find the much-vaunted Cold War thread?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

TFR.

I also recommend AI's airplane thread, it's a solid mash of military and civilian stuff.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
What is all this shim business?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

He is our IK. He always has been, really, but now he has the powers too.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Godholio posted:

He is our IK. He always has been, really, but now he has the powers too.

Was shim a previous username or something?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Was shim a previous username or something?

It's an acronym
Stupid
Homo
Idiot
Motard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer