Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

I summon NSA WIZARD to stop lurking/putting us on watchlists and :justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

http://www.stripes.com/news/army-looking-at-direct-commissions-for-civilian-cybersecurity-experts-1.453101

Story originates on Stars & Stripes and I don't think they're one for jokes

lotta officers gonna flip lol

There's no way in gently caress they're going to get people who A: actually know what the gently caress they're doing, B: will actually have the stomach to join the military, and C: be able to be taken seriously by anyone currently involved in 'cyber'.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

I seriously want to meet the first person who does this, because I imagine it would be like watching Gordon Ramsey walk into a kitchen where all of the salads are prepared on the same cutting boards they use for raw chicken and the only explanation the staff can give is "But this is how we've always done it and nobody's ever complained before!"

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

And G_d beheld His creation, and saw that it was good, and directed Shim to go forth and inform the masses of the new covenant, one not made of law or flesh but of steel beams that could not be melted by any jet fuel.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

i could have got any job i wanted based on ASVAB scores but my recruiter talked me out of infantry because i'm a borderline aspergers and now I work in a basement with no windows

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Echoing the "Don't join the military" sentiment, especially if you already make decent money.

If you're hellbent on joining, signal or MI are my vote over cyber. With your stated background, signal or SIGINT are the ways to go.

Cyber in the military sense is not your poo poo, unless your poo poo is "I like not using any of the skills I've developed in ten years of work and also I enjoy dealing with people who genuinely believe in the concept of 'cyber bombs' because I watched The Net/Hackers/Swordfish at one point".

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

I don't know how much you're making currently, but you can probably save a fuckton of money on public patriotic masochism by buying a webcam, a stereo with "Proud to be an American", and hiring a chubby dominatrix to kick you in the balls on a monthly basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

My career shamming started when I ended up assigned to a two-star MAJCOM as a PFC. They didn't even have any junior enlisted slots in my shop. My closest peers were a retiring E-6 and a CW2.

For the first three months, I was asked the following questions several times:

A: What the hell rank is that again?
B: How the gently caress did we get a PFC here?
C: What'd you do to get busted down?

• Locked thread