Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

E Depois do Adeus posted:

Hello fellow american military members please let us have the informative discussion of opplans and color coded task forces

Let me tell you about Wing Attack Plan R.

R for "Romeo."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Dude McAwesome posted:

i have a pony avatar because in auspol i talked about how retarded the military is and how retarded army mans are, where does this fall on your spectrum of avatars?

If somebody bought you an avatar, I respect you way more for keeping it instead of throwing down your own money to replace it.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

TV M*A*S*H* was way too cheerful. Movie M*A*S*H* is where it's at.

Suicide is painless.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

gently caress.

So who's real, and who's the terminator pretending to be Sarah Connorbeloved forums mascot HCT?

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

ughhhh posted:

I'm just drunk and tomorrow is a blizzard. Plus I would like to secure my ability to stay in this country.

Nothing I say in this post is a joke.

If you join, enlist in the Air Force Reserve or Air National Guard and become a Services troop. AFSC 3M0X1. Get your citizenship while you're still in basic training. Hand out towels in the gym or cook mediocre omelettes at the chow hall. Get paid the exact same as the aircraft maintainer working 16-hour days outdoors. Do it one weekend a month, two weeks a year, for the six years required by your contract, then bounce.

I'm sure the Army and Navy have similar zero-effort jobs, if you don't have an Air Guard/Reserve station nearby.

If you want a job skill more complex than "Would you like a towel, sir/ma'am," then become a sysad or something. But I'm dead serious, the smart choice is to take a job that requires no effort, skill, or education, turn off your mind, and shuffle through your enlistment. The pay is the same as it would be for a job where someone's life is in your hands.

Edit: Whoops. I didn't think that all the way through. In order to be a sysad or network engineer or any of the other comm jobs, you need to be able to get a security clearance. Depending on the level associated with the job, you'd likely be disqualified because citizenship is a prerequisite for advanced clearances. The make-work jobs like Services are still an option, though.

Arc Light fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Mar 14, 2017

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Kick-Puncher posted:

For the air force do you have to wear all your badges along with your ribbons? I am actually in the Air Guard but I transferred over from Army guard and I have no loving clue and I am getting mixed answers.

Aviator's wings, chaplain's badges, and cyberspace or space "wings" are mandatory. If you're a medic or doctor, that medical badge is also required.

Otherwise, they're optional. I make a point of not wearing ribbons or badges, because I hate uncle sam, plain and simple.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Just wait until the Space Corps gets off the ground (so to speak) and start a new retarded family tradition of service there. In IT, because the pay is the same as most any other enlisted job, but you get an air conditioned office.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

1337JiveTurkey posted:

I'm 35, red colorblind and have the stereotypical goon physique along with a masters degree in computer science. What branches should I enlist in if I'm dissatisfied with all the stupid bullshit in my current job?

Despite working with colored wires that must be precisely arranged, the Air Force allows (allowed?) colorblind people to enlist for IT jobs. On my first deployment, we had a colorblind sergeant earnestly try to win a bet by wiring up 100 cat 5 connections in a single work order.

Followed immediately by a non-colorblind guy redoing most of his RJ-45 terminations so they would actually work.

Don't enlist with a degree.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

In all seriousness, go guard or reserves comm for the TS clearance and commercial certs, then leverage that for a walk-in contracting or GS job.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

i could have got any job i wanted based on ASVAB scores but my recruiter talked me out of military police and now I sit in a big office with a window.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

I lived in a crummy old postwar Italian Army barracks as an E3.

One day, they needed someone to clean up an unoccupied room so that its plumbing could be repaired. See, the toilet's pipes had been leaking liquid poo poo for the last weeks or months, and someone finally noticed when the sludge began seeping out the room's door into the hallway outside. The whole room was covered in a thin layer of poo poo.

So Airman First Class me had to clean it up. I put plastic bags over my boots, and waded in to the middle of the room. The stench was unbelievably awful; I wore a gas mask just to deaden the smell. I dumped a couple bottles of bleach onto the soggy ground to kill the swarms of flies and maggots. Then, in 45-second increments (so I could run outside and breath clean air), I spent the next two hours mopping up the mess.

That was 8 years ago. It is the single clearest memory I have of the past. Clearer than any joyous moment. Clearer than any of the deaths I've witnessed. Clearer even than the 5-year old kid I watched die from a headshot.

What I'm getting at is,

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

the moments that sucked about the military will be the ones you miss the most
is bullllllllllshit. That's Stockholm Syndrome speaking.

Life actually gets great once you're a free man, or once you get promoted up to the point you never pull sucky details. The moments you miss are the ones where you're getting hammered with your friends and you forget for a minute that you're Uncle Sam's bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Man, do they not teach lower enlisted air force to sham? When the whisp of a detail starts wafting through the wind, you find something not detail related to do.

The terrible details, like playing with literal poo poo, were doled out to extra duty dipshits.

I had already been assigned to bay orderly detail for the week. Dunno if that exists in the Army/Navy/Marines, but in the Air Force it means that you do all the cleanup bitchwork in the dorms/barracks. No way to pretend I was already tasked with something worse. I had the most seniority of all the E3s assigned that week, so I chose to fall on my sword instead of making one of them do it. I'm still salty about it almost a decade later.

McNally posted:

... put overlays in the...Blue Force Tracker

Fuuuuuuck that. When you demonstrate that you're good at your job, you get the privilege of doing other peoples' jobs, too.

BFT, CPOF, FalconView, and all the other bullshit geo trackers are the devil. Adding zone/building identifiers is a special sort of hell.

• Locked thread