Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 241 days!
It's super relevant to all sorts of aspects of Canadian culture and is a really important topic. It's a great topic to watch people who have done grad-level work on the subject post on.

It's also frustrating bullshit.

itt post about how gently caress this poo poo we're gonna watch some anime or a king fu movie or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.
Are you talking about cultural appropriation or criticizing cultural appropriation?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 241 days!

Fidel Castronaut posted:

Are you talking about cultural appropriation or criticizing cultural appropriation?

Both. The whole topic is frustrating bullshit and instead of talking about it I'm going to post a classic photoshop phriday that is loving sweet:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 241 days!
To clarify you can totally effortpost about it, it's just not required because holy poo poo gently caress that noise.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

American culture doesn't exist without appropriation, and I dunno how you can possibly get around that fact. Cultural appropriation critique hit its zenith when those kids protested a Japanese culture event in California, which was being sponsored by the Japanese government.

I'd rather live in a country like America that tries to experience foreign cultures even if only superficially, over a multicultural European state that effectively ghettoizes all foreign elements and tries to force people to take their clothes off.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

I think the Oberlin College thing with protesting the sushi in the cafeteria on the grounds of cultural appropriation was cringey poo poo because rich kids (e.g. Lena Dunham) go to Oberlin and they never seemed to give a poo poo about the poor, likely brown, woman who was serving them that sushi and her working conditions. But cultural appropriation is an actual concern because, like, rock and roll and rap are mediums that communicate the black experience and involve tons of black labor and then we erase the labor and the black experience and sell Macklemore and Elvis tracks. It's bad stuff. But people oversimplify it for sure.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Comparing Macklemore to Elvis is extremely disingenuous. The vast majority of Macklemore fans also buy the albums of black artists regularly and go to their concerts. It's not a major out for white people to engage with the black experience like they could with Elvis. I'm sure it does happen for some dorks, but that's an extremely marginal problem compared to half a century ago.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 241 days!

Fidel Castronaut posted:

I think the Oberlin College thing with protesting the sushi in the cafeteria on the grounds of cultural appropriation was cringey poo poo because rich kids (e.g. Lena Dunham) go to Oberlin and they never seemed to give a poo poo about the poor, likely brown, woman who was serving them that sushi and her working conditions. But cultural appropriation is an actual concern because, like, rock and roll and rap are mediums that communicate the black experience and involve tons of black labor and then we erase the labor and the black experience and sell Macklemore and Elvis tracks. It's bad stuff. But people oversimplify it for sure.

Ironically the actual cultural appropriation in this case and the one above is the appropriation of the right of Japanese people, both American and otherwise, to decide what they're okay with. (Assuming these summaries are accurate; goons are usually good but who the gently caress even knows with all the white noise on the subject). Doing something to show solidarity with the cause of people who are not happy or in control of how their culture is depicted in America or The West is completely laid aside in favour of hilarious bullshit about loving sushi.

Instead of bullshit here is a picture of Darth Vader, a character whose depiction is deeply rooted in Samurai and Kung Fu movies:

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
me reading this thread

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Comparing Macklemore to Elvis is extremely disingenuous. The vast majority of Macklemore fans also buy the albums of black artists regularly and go to their concerts. It's not a major out for white people to engage with the black experience like they could with Elvis. I'm sure it does happen for some dorks, but that's an extremely marginal problem compared to half a century ago.

Sure, maybe Macklemore wasn't a perfect comparison, not that I was trying to make a 1:1 comparison but the fact is that he won his Grammy against Kendrick Lamar because his rap was more pleasant to white sensibilities than Lamar's confrontational politics. Compare Macklemore's "Downtown" to Lamar's "Alright" where he says 'We hate the popo when they shoot us down in the streets fo' sho'." Their audiences do not overlap as much as you seem to think they do.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 241 days!

passionate dongs posted:

me reading this thread

see if you are white this might be orientalist, or it might be a clever subversion. if you're black or muslim it sort of doesn't matter. if you're phillipino (but not muslim), ?

in conclusion who the gently caress cares cool pic

here's a pic by a Westerner based on Norse mythology and therefore Not Appropriation i think:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Fidel Castronaut posted:

Sure, maybe Macklemore wasn't a perfect comparison, not that I was trying to make a 1:1 comparison but the fact is that he won his Grammy against Kendrick Lamar because his rap was more pleasant to white sensibilities than Lamar's confrontational politics. Compare Macklemore's "Downtown" to Lamar's "Alright" where he says 'We hate the popo when they shoot us down in the streets fo' sho'." Their audiences do not overlap as much as you seem to think they do.

The constituency of Grammy electorates represents the industry, not their audiences.

i.e. gently caress the Grammies.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 241 days!
I haven't seen La La Land, but I understand a) that it is up for a million Oscars and b) that it is basically a story about it being okay for a white guy to passionately love jazz. Evidently this message resonates deeply with the people who nominate films for the Oscars.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Oscar bait movies are visible a mile away, because they're always either about the movie industry itself, or super serious poo poo like the Holocaust or whatever.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
It's incredibly frustrating to me that the only black films which get national attention are White Guilt movies.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
if anyone wants to drink scotch and eat haggis you have my persmission

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Cultural appropriation is rad as hell, the best cultures always steal the best bits from others and make it their own. Eg- The persians had their culture stolen by the greeks, which was stolen by the romans, which was stolen by goths/franks, which was stolen by the normans, which was stolen by the english, which was stolen by America. And we all know that 'Merica is #1.

Black/minority artists getting plagarized or marginalized is not rad. They should get recognized.

My hot take.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

stealing each others gods, myths, technologies and clothing is basically what everyone from persia on the east, egypt on the southwest, whoever ruled italy on the northwest, the armenian area on the north east and arabia on the southeast, and everywhere in-between, were doing for like, 5000 loving years. gently caress, nubia and aksum even got in on that poo poo.

and you had people living in south arizona taking art symbols and ball games and poo poo from west mexicans, also beans. people been jacking aspects of others cultures forever.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Fidel Castronaut posted:

For whatever it's worth, we are :agreed: on this subject.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

rudatron posted:

Cultural appropriation is rad as hell, the best cultures always steal the best bits from others and make it their own. Eg- The persians had their culture stolen by the greeks, which was stolen by the romans, which was stolen by goths/franks, which was stolen by the normans, which was stolen by the english, which was stolen by America. And we all know that 'Merica is #1.

Black/minority artists getting plagarized or marginalized is not rad. They should get recognized.

My hot take.

Can't wait to be stolen by China.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Twee tumbler weirdos who complain about things like appropriation appropriated the ukulele from the Hawaiians, who in turn appropriated it from the Portuguese.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

:same:

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

so should all culture be hidden away and guarded so as not to taint or be tainted by outside forces?

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

Uncle Wemus posted:

so should all culture be hidden away and guarded so as not to taint or be tainted by outside forces?

No. Just show some interest in the people whose culture you are appropriating. This is what I've been told.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

That's less likely to happen then you think, China doesn't like foreigners or anything they represent, so that won't be happening for a while.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

rudatron posted:

That's less likely to happen then you think, China doesn't like foreigners or anything they represent, so that won't be happening for a while.

That doesn't mean they don't want to fully absorb our GDP.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Make Persia Great Again

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Uncle Wemus posted:

like senator graham said, if you're a white kid from the suburbs blasting nwa it would be good to maybe do just like five minutes research into the war on drugs and white flight to understand exactly the cultural moment that dre and the gang were speaking from instead of just that thing that we white people do where we're like "yeah, baller!"

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Uncle Wemus posted:

this is how the french do it

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

i have to protect my culture crystals from foreign fiends

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

Fidel Castronaut posted:

like senator graham said, if you're a white kid from the suburbs blasting nwa it would be good to maybe do just like five minutes research into the war on drugs and white flight to understand exactly the cultural moment that dre and the gang were speaking from instead of just that thing that we white people do where we're like "yeah, baller!"

:beerpal:

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
Appropriation is America's passive special ability - its just what we do because its literally who we are (hey we learned it from the masters :britain:) :dealwithit:

Mariana Horchata has issued a correction as of 15:50 on Jan 26, 2017

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Yinlock posted:

this is how the french do it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99phlP_e2Rw

:hai:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Uncle Wemus posted:

if a white person wants to eat sushi, that's okay

if a white person makes a list of best sushi chefs and everyone on the list is white, then they've appropriated the hell out of that culture

basically it's fine to eat sushi but don't start pretending sushi is a white person food invented by white people for white people. if a white hipster starts claiming the california roll as part of their goddamn heritage, poo poo is hosed

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

i want all of my international food made by immigrants in a truck. i will never trust kimchi or shwarma prepared by a white person

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 241 days!

rudatron posted:

My hot take.

This is called syncretism and is cool and good, but in the context of colonialism and imperialism it ends up being "replaced" to one extent or another by appropriation.

Example: when Evangelion uses Christian symbolism, the referent is not the West's experience with those symbols. That's cool.

When movies by black directors only get mainstream attention if they're about the white experience of blackness, ie as a source of guilt, that's appropriation and bad and literally everyone is sick of it and this has been public knowledge since at least Crash.

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 15:56 on Jan 26, 2017

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

heh China is p much the reason why Buick still exists...in fact they are just now starting to build models their for export to the USA - just wait until DJT hears about this outrage on :foxnews: esp since he has an alliance w/ FCA

:trumppop:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Fidel Castronaut posted:

You think Easy E was just making poo poo up?

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
also rap thrives on appropriation itself via sampling (which is one of the best things about rap imho)

in essence, as long as u dont steal ideas and seriously consider them ur own and be respectful of cultural aspects that may be held sacred by others i think cultural appropriation is more good than bad (although the effects of globalism in the past few decades may be pushing us all closer together on the flipside the interconnectedness and and collective awareness we have developed during this period has certainly raised consciousness w/r/t appropriation and now we are starting to no longer do certain things like use ridiculous ethnic caricatures as sports team mascots (vy goofus) but while at the same time a middle class white family in Iowa decides to try the new Indian place in town for dinner instead of Chilis and end up loving it (this is gallant)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006

rudatron posted:

Oscar bait movies are visible a mile away, because they're always either about the movie industry itself, or super serious poo poo like the Holocaust or whatever.

lol when is the hollywood sexual abuse movie coming out, because only children's video games are allowed to talk about that

• Locked thread