Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
feels like the internet has all these assumptions floating around about the proper behavior expected by "minorities"

have yall considered that it's just a tiny fringe of outspoken internet liberals policing your etiquette

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.

LinYutang posted:

fun fact: members of non-dominant cultures don't learn about this poo poo either, nobody cares

Thanks for this!

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

"A lot of people don't know a thing so, you see, there's no good reason to want people to learn about cultures. Bing bong, so simple."

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Let's just like, not teach history because like a lot of people don't know about it so like what's the point, you know?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I dont think anyone cares about people not learning the deep and storied history of foreign cuisine. but, I think we can all agree that it would be remarkably stupid for someone to say guy fieri is the authority on authentic texmex

e: except this guy ^^^^

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Control Volume posted:

I dont think anyone cares about people not learning the deep and storied history of foreign cuisine. but, I think we can all agree that it would be remarkably stupid for someone to say guy fieri is the authority on authentic texmex

garlic fries, donkey sauce

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

As a gay I give every guy permission to wear extremely tight pants, fishnets, and leather. Thanks

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
'learning about cultures' is also great because it means you can battle the appropriators without giving anything up or changing your habits or doing anything

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Control Volume posted:

I'm responding to somebody whose entire argument was premised on the fact that a lot of people don't know a thing so nobody cares. This might be controversial, but I don't find ignorance to be a virtue. And, honestly, nobody thinks ignorance is a virtue but what we value as knowledge worth knowing is largely based on what the dominant culture values. So, of course who cares about the black people who got hosed over when rock and roll was in its infancy. Promoting the idea that people might want to know that if they are going to consume music is obnoxious for some reason.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The history of rock and roll and how it stampeded over black people is really interesting, and it would be really interesting if you posted about it instead of melting down in a cspam thread

HailHorrorHail
Jun 9, 2015

I never said that white people shouldn't eat food, I just said they should stop making it.

Chalupas rule, but Taco Bell is mostly staffed by PoC in my experience so

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Control Volume posted:

As a gay I give every guy permission to wear extremely tight pants, fishnets, and leather. Thanks

I remember some guy posting in ask/tell about how sick and tired he was of straights overwhelming the leather scene and loving up their events and he might of even used the term cultural appropriation. Sorry sickos, your extremely weird sex expos are now main stream so get used to the fact suburban moms are going to come with their kids and complain about the loud music

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

LinYutang posted:

hosed up that Mexicans use limes for guacamole if you ask me, that poo poo is not native to the americas

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

how can u be such a square and yet have a PhD in South America??

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

I'll stop dressing like a geisha when the Japanese stop wearing blue jeans

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Squalid posted:

I remember some guy posting in ask/tell about how sick and tired he was of straights overwhelming the leather scene and loving up their events and he might of even used the term cultural appropriation. Sorry sickos, your extremely weird sex expos are now main stream so get used to the fact suburban moms are going to come with their kids and complain about the loud music

They can appropriate having sex with men too if they want to show up to gay events

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Crap I didn't realize I was posting in a D&D thread I meant to post in the funny forum C-SPAM. Sorry dudes.

HailHorrorHail
Jun 9, 2015

Carmant posted:

I'll stop dressing like a geisha when the Japanese stop wearing blue jeans

Actually that's an example of white supremacy and imperialism since the Japanese had blue jeans forced on them when Commodore Perry forced open their ports.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I like food from S-named companies like Sysco and Sodexo

they make a fine microwaved hamburger

tower time
Jul 30, 2008

Fidel Castronaut posted:

"Rock and roll was created by the grandkids of slaves who weren't allowed to play certain venues and had white record execs serve them with lovely contracts and some of them outright had their music stolen by white artists."

"I AM REALLY THE BURDENED PARTY HERE BECAUSE YOU ARE DEFINITELY DEMANDING I BURN MY LED ZEPPELIN SHIRT!"

Lady Gaga's entire performance style was lifted from drag performers and sanitized a bit for a more mainstream audience, and has liberals and gays love her for it.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I'm pretty sure that white guys invented burgers and fries

Trumpenproletariat
Nov 26, 2016

by zen death robot

Hodgepodge posted:

here's a pic by a Westerner based on Norse mythology and therefore Not Appropriation i think:

Is that Surtr?

Trumpenproletariat
Nov 26, 2016

by zen death robot

The Kingfish posted:

I'm pretty sure that white guys invented burgers and fries

FIVE [WHITE] GUYS

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Squalid posted:

imagine being so white that getting dressed up in assless chaps and whipped while u jerk of is an inherent part of your cultural identity like lmao

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

do you think there were a whole bunch of super-outraged ancient dudes writing long treatises about how the aenid is extremely problematic because it appropriates greek culture

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Fallen Hamprince posted:

imagine being so white that getting dressed up in assless chaps and whipped while u jerk of is an inherent part of your cultural identity like lmao

Dude..... dude. thats good, actually.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Fallen Hamprince posted:

what do you mean imagine?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Fallen Hamprince posted:

I don't think you'd like to see when they wear boar masks and shove their arms up butts

tower time
Jul 30, 2008

I believe laughing at bad fanfiction is a sport that transcends all.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Fallen Hamprince posted:

d
e
g
e
n
e
r
a
c
y

is a real thing that people should consciously avoid.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
When it comes down to it, most of the complaints and demands about cultural appropriation are basically people wanting to bring back racial segregation and make miscegenation a crime again. That is the logical endpoint of ending cultural appropriation.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 241 days!

Yup, specifically his Marvel Comics incarnation and basically a kicking rad fire demon/giant.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

he put peas in the guacamole

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 241 days!

Man Musk posted:

he put peas in the guacamole

is this that effect where "he" actually refers specifically to trump now?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
the really funny thing with complaining about appropriation, is that you're essentially guaranteeing that the majority culture will never, ever be influenced by the minority culture, in any positive way, because bastardization is like the first step to introducing something foreign

and since it's not appropriation when the minority culture takes from the majority, that's just normal poo poo, you're also guaranteeing that all cultural impact will be in exactly one direction, majority -> minority

you get so hosed in the head about racism, that you're literally enabling cultural imperialism, and giving it a nice 'progressive' curtain to hide behind

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
like if you want to prevent white people stealing rock and roll, go back in time and give all the young kids listening to 'black music' your nice little primer on cultural appropriation, how it's actually just violence against black people and bad, and congrats you'll have prevented all that nasty appropriation

the downside is, we'll be stuck with whatever stupid poo poo white people music evolves into, and all the racists white people at the time will be super happy with that, because they have bad taste in music, and didn't want all their white kids to listen to anything but boring & stupid swing or whaever, but you can't make omelettes with breaking some eggs

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Halloween is an Irish holiday, please stop dressing up in any costume at all unless youre white, because the Irish have so successfully melded into the common white American identity that Halloween can probably just be considered a white holiday now. Just dont dress up as anything else to keep the cultures divided.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Fidel Castronaut posted:

I'm responding to somebody whose entire argument was premised on the fact that a lot of people don't know a thing so nobody cares. This might be controversial, but I don't find ignorance to be a virtue. And, honestly, nobody thinks ignorance is a virtue but what we value as knowledge worth knowing is largely based on what the dominant culture values. So, of course who cares about the black people who got hosed over when rock and roll was in its infancy. Promoting the idea that people might want to know that if they are going to consume music is obnoxious for some reason.

knowledge is generally nice, but i don't see why knowledge of food/musical history is particularly important.

i don't think that consumption of culture should be dependent on a deep understanding of the history behind that culture. i'm gonna make some curry for lunch; am i doing the people of India a great disservice by not first researching the two-thousand-year history of curry?

i feel like i'm probably misunderstanding you here, because what you're saying really makes no sense to me.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

rudatron posted:

the really funny thing with complaining about appropriation, is that you're essentially guaranteeing that the majority culture will never, ever be influenced by the minority culture, in any positive way, because bastardization is like the first step to introducing something foreign

and since it's not appropriation when the minority culture takes from the majority, that's just normal poo poo, you're also guaranteeing that all cultural impact will be in exactly one direction, majority -> minority

you get so hosed in the head about racism, that you're literally enabling cultural imperialism, and giving it a nice 'progressive' curtain to hide behind

there's an interesting article i was reading about this recently (you might've already seen it?). it runs a little long for what it actually has to say, but this section in particular was good:

quote:

It may come as some surprise on both sides of the battlefield, but the Left has not always understood “cultural appropriation” as a form of oppression. This connotation of the term has become ubiquitous in today’s social media-driven political climate. But when it first came into use, “cultural appropriation” denoted very nearly the opposite of its contemporary meaning.

The idea preceded the term, as a product of the Center for Contemporary Cultural Studies at the University of Birmingham. For thinkers like Stuart Hall, cultural appropriation described the way subcultures were created. The contemporary objects of inquiry, in studies like 1975’s Resistance Through Rituals, were youth cultures in England: teddy boys, mods, skinheads and so on.

But the precedents ran deeper. Indian food in England, Negro spirituals in America, bathhouses in 19th-century France — these were all contexts in which members of what we might now call “marginalized groups” used elements of a dominant culture in altered forms, generating their own communities that could hide in plain sight.

i hadn't encountered the history of 'cultural appropriation' being used to describe minority cultures borrowing from/repurposing majority culture for their own purposes, but it makes a lot of sense!

another good bit

quote:

This is what leads someone like Richard Spencer to voice approval for incidents like one at the University of Ottawa, when a free yoga class for students with disabilities was shut down for “cultural issues of implication.” A Student Federation statement on the matter went as far as to link it to the threat of “cultural genocide.” At the blog for Radix Journal, an alt-right publication he founded, Spencer could barely contain his excitement...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

PleasingFungus posted:

knowledge is generally nice, but i don't see why knowledge of food/musical history is particularly important.

i don't think that consumption of culture should be dependent on a deep understanding of the history behind that culture. i'm gonna make some curry for lunch; am i doing the people of India a great disservice by not first researching the two-thousand-year history of curry?

i feel like i'm probably misunderstanding you here, because what you're saying really makes no sense to me.

you would be doing the people of India a disservice if you thought that curry was British food

although I can't imagine anyone being dumb enough to mistake good-tasting food for British cuisine

• Locked thread