Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Tikka Masalla is British though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HailHorrorHail
Jun 9, 2015

Man Musk posted:

he put peas in the guacamole

Fusion cuisine

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

rudatron posted:

the really funny thing with complaining about appropriation, is that you're essentially guaranteeing that the majority culture will never, ever be influenced by the minority culture, in any positive way, because bastardization is like the first step to introducing something foreign

and since it's not appropriation when the minority culture takes from the majority, that's just normal poo poo, you're also guaranteeing that all cultural impact will be in exactly one direction, majority -> minority

you get so hosed in the head about racism, that you're literally enabling cultural imperialism, and giving it a nice 'progressive' curtain to hide behind

Have you considered that cultural imperialism is just as inconsistent and ill-defined a concept as cultural appropriation

This kind of cargo cult anthropology is universally incomprehensible imo

Anyone getting a bee up their bonnet about uppity college kids complaining about cafeteria food needs to take a chill pill and try and put themselves in their place for a moment.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

PleasingFungus posted:

knowledge is generally nice, but i don't see why knowledge of food/musical history is particularly important.

i don't think that consumption of culture should be dependent on a deep understanding of the history behind that culture. i'm gonna make some curry for lunch; am i doing the people of India a great disservice by not first researching the two-thousand-year history of curry?

i feel like i'm probably misunderstanding you here, because what you're saying really makes no sense to me.

The interest, is what is being referenced. If you want Indian curry for lunch, try actually going to the Indian place for it and if you are approached by an Indian person later, try not to zone out when they start talking about their culture because what you ate is an important parcel of that culture.

Put simply: show interest in the people who produce the things you like, since after all, they are people too.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Tikka Masalla is British though.

only in the same sense that American Chinese food is "American" - it might have been invented in America, but it was invented by Chinese immigrants adapting Chinese cuisine to American tastes and sensibilities

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 241 days!

Squalid posted:

Have you considered that cultural imperialism is just as inconsistent and ill-defined a concept as cultural appropriation

Anyone getting a bee up their bonnet about uppity college kids complaining about cafeteria food needs to take a chill pill and try and put themselves in their place for a moment.

I would think that it would be for their benefit to be taught the concept properly, since they clearly don't get it

I know 99% of the whining is code for "stop talking about the subject altogether" though

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

The interest, is what is being referenced. If you want Indian curry for lunch, try actually going to the Indian place for it and if you are approached by an Indian person later, try not to zone out when they start talking about their culture because what you ate is an important parcel of that culture.

Put simply: show interest in the people who produce the things you like, since after all, they are people too.

i'm the person who produces the things i like. i make the curry. it's good.

i'm not the person who invented curry, of course. if i said that, it'd be dumb!

but the thing is, the inventor of curry is dead. their children are dead, too. ditto, their grandchildren. their creation has spread across the globe, and now people of all races and creeds can enjoy curry freely. that's a good thing.

it is absurd to say that, by eating curry, i am placing myself in the debt of any currently living person or group of people. i do not have a moral obligation to go out for lunch!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

you would be doing the people of India a disservice if you thought that curry was British food

although I can't imagine anyone being dumb enough to mistake good-tasting food for British cuisine

would i be doing the people of india a disservice if i thought that curry was japanese food? it was introduced to japan by indian sailors on british vessels, after all. does that mean that japanese curry is properly considered indian food?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Squalid posted:

I accepted that college might involve having to eat some lovely cafeteria food and so did everyone else I was there with, people bitched about the food but they didn't complain to the food services and call them racist over it.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
is being super quick to express how you are not culiturally insensitive a white person thing or

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
i believe it is Woke.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Main Paineframe posted:

only in the same sense that American Chinese food is "American" - it might have been invented in America, but it was invented by Chinese immigrants adapting Chinese cuisine to American tastes and sensibilities

Yep. But it's still British food, and it's delicious. The exception for sure as far as British food goes.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Main Paineframe posted:

So it's definitely British then?

breaklaw
May 12, 2008
"stop talking about the subject altogether" is the only way to address this bullshit. There is no such loving thing as cultural appropriation. There is only the marketplace of ideas. Yes people borrow and steal within that market, but the only thing that would be "appropriation"would be trying to pass off borrowed and stolen ideas as authentic and from the original source. As long as you acknowledge the origin you're doing nothing wrong.

HailHorrorHail
Jun 9, 2015

"There's no such thing as cultural appropriation, there's only *describes textbook definition of cultural appropriation*"

also lol at "marketplace of ideas". the invisible hand of the free market of ideas will solve this oh poo poo someones telling me not to demean their heritage, don't they know the only way to address this is to shut up?

HailHorrorHail
Jun 9, 2015

If you want to laugh at dumb college kids whining about white people wearing kimonos at festivals run by Japanese people or ordering curry at Indian restaurants "extra spicy, really I can take it", then I don't think you have to worry about anything because that's stupid people being stupid and is hilarious.

Dismissing the concept of Cultural Appropriation as a whole, especially pointing to examples like this as an excuse, is bad because there are concrete examples of minority cultures being harmed by the majority cultures attempt at "cultural exchange".

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Its not the appropriation that actually harms the minority culture though, it's just plain old racism that's denying them opportunity or whatever

It's the dumb college kids that are using the term correctly, not you, so yeah gently caress that noise

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Like you don't get to deploy the No True Scotsman fallacy because you don't like the implications of your idea, either appropriation is bad or it's not

breaklaw
May 12, 2008
Yeah if one group was actually appropriating another's culture under the proper definition, then they were probably also doing much, much, worse things to that group at the same time. Like, if you're being loving enslaved or colonized, not getting credit for your cultural contributions is the least of your worries.

HailHorrorHail
Jun 9, 2015

rudatron posted:

Like you don't get to deploy the No True Scotsman fallacy because you don't like the implications of your idea, either appropriation is bad or it's not

Anime Avatars are an example of harmful cultural appropriation because usually they are attached to bad posts

I'm not sure how to respond because now you're whipping out "fallacies!". Is Cultural Appropriation to you any and all mixing of other cultures? If so, isn't "either appropriation is bad or it's not" a false dilemma?

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
everything can only be either insanely good or insanely bad

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Matey, you're the one talking about how college kids crap totes 'doesn't count', because you said so, don't try this Just Asking Questions routine on me. Also all my posts are all insanely good, fyi, it's not my fault you have bad taste.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

don't cross the cultures. try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of life. also imagine a white dude with dreadlocks

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
I wonder what if some guys in Zambia start putting on corpse paint and doing music which involves guitar riffs and screaming about how life is meaningless/ paganism are they culturally appropriating Scandinavians?

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

thanx 4 this next time I go out to eat "ethnic" food I'll patronizingly badger the below minimum wage wait staff by insisting they explain their rich culture to me because clearly any brown person serving you chicken tikka just got off the flying carpet from the motherland yesterday and they're not just some guy who grew up in Jersey and is trying to avoid showing irritation at the patronizing yet self-loathing bourgey white liberal because he doesn't want to get shorted on the tip you dumbass

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Crowsbeak posted:

I wonder what if some guys in Zambia start putting on corpse paint and doing music which involves guitar riffs and screaming about how life is meaningless/ paganism are they culturally appropriating Scandinavians?

There's a heavy metal leather movement in Botswana and it loving rules.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/29/world/africa/botswana-heavy-metal-heads/

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Not that this scenario would ever actually happen, but why should I give a gently caress about his culture??

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

I find this thing confusing, and it makes me wonder whether I've misunderstood the broad objectives of what're generally called "progressives" now or if I'm just not American enough to get it.

The whole idea of "cultural appropriation" seems to be supporting the notion that people come in distinct tribes and that those tribes a) can own ideas and b) are really super important.

Isn't getting rid of that sort of thing what we're meant to be aiming for?

HailHorrorHail
Jun 9, 2015

Crowsbeak posted:

PoC shouldn't subjugate themselves with that oppressive black metal culture, yeah

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

Dzhay posted:

I find this thing confusing, and it makes me wonder whether I've misunderstood the broad objectives of what're generally called "progressives" now or if I'm just not American enough to get it.

The whole idea of "cultural appropriation" seems to be supporting the notion that people come in distinct tribes and that those tribes a) can own ideas and b) are really super important.

Isn't getting rid of that sort of thing what we're meant to be aiming for?

cool yeah *puts on headdress*

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
equality doesnt mean culturally homogenous holy poo poo

Qwazes
Sep 29, 2014
Fun Shoe

HailHorrorHail posted:

If you want to laugh at dumb college kids whining about white people wearing kimonos at festivals run by Japanese people or ordering curry at Indian restaurants "extra spicy, really I can take it", then I don't think you have to worry about anything because that's stupid people being stupid and is hilarious.

Counterpoint, I live in New England and nobody will make spicy food at restaurants for me :'(

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Is it horseshoe theory when the far-left and far-right both don't want anyone else's culture in ours

HailHorrorHail
Jun 9, 2015

Qwazes posted:

Counterpoint, I live in New England and nobody will make spicy food at restaurants for me :'(

be happy with your clam chowder white boi

once i went to a Chinese restaurant that had pork intestines on the menu and when i tried to order it, the nice lady refused because actually pork intestines are disgusting so i didn't argue about wanting to eat Pig rear end in public and got pork belly instead.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Main Paineframe posted:

Are you under the impression that Chinese immigrants to America aren't American? Because that's bullshit.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

^Liberals have their own special kind of racism

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

passionate dongs posted:

equality doesnt mean culturally homogenous holy poo poo

No, but it means that "cultural inhomogeneity" shouldn't be in any way enforced.

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.

HailHorrorHail posted:

PoC shouldn't subjugate themselves with that oppressive black metal culture, yeah
Black metal culture was heavily rooted as a rebellion against what the pioneers considered oppressive white christian middle class bourgeoisie

but with satan and nazis

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Is it horseshoe theory when the far-left and far-right both don't want anyone else's culture in ours

It would require the far left doing it rather than bourgie centrist liberals trying to stay relevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

Dzhay posted:

No, but it means that "cultural inhomogeneity" shouldn't be in any way enforced.

it's not and i have no idea what you are talking about

• Locked thread