Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

The Kingfish posted:

Not that this scenario would ever actually happen, but why should I give a gently caress about his culture??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

just a coconut going for a stroll

could someone please work up a short list of the unproblematic clothes, foods, and music white people are allowed to consume

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Rickshaw posted:

could someone please work up a short list of the unproblematic clothes, foods, and music white people are allowed to consume

sure here it is

breaklaw
May 12, 2008

Rickshaw posted:

Sorgrid
May 1, 2007
So it goes.
While passing out flyers at Malcolm X plaza, I saw a white male approaching with dreads. Triggered, I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDlQ4H0Kdg8

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Sorgrid posted:

While passing out flyers at Malcolm X plaza, I saw a white male approaching with dreads. Triggered, I

I forgot what his mannerisms were like. She should have dunked him in the trash.

Sorgrid
May 1, 2007
So it goes.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I forgot what his mannerisms were like. She should have dunked him in the trash.

The whole thing makes me cringe hard. gently caress this gay earth

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

it's so much easier and accurate to call a white guy in dreadlocks "rear end in a top hat." why didn't she just do that

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Patrick Spens posted:

Are you under the impression that Chinese immigrants to America aren't American? Because that's bullshit.

they're chinese-american

yes, they are American, but they also have a Chinese heritage that isn't shared with rando white people

Rickshaw posted:

eat whatever the gently caress you want, just don't be a dumb rear end in a top hat about it

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
How can one be dumb rear end in a top hat about what they eat. Unless they are as a whole a dumb rear end in a top hat?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Crowsbeak posted:

How can one be dumb rear end in a top hat about what they eat. Unless they are as a whole a dumb rear end in a top hat?
if you willingly call yourself a "foodie" then you fit the bill

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
no one has the slightest idea what is and isn’t cultural appropriation
Posted on 1 December 2016 by Freddie

The noble purpose of moral critiques is to try and inspire better behavior. The destructive purpose of moral critiques is to elevate the person making them in relation to those being critiqued – “you are bad and I am good and saying so gives me power over you.” Most of the time, I sincerely believe people are operating based on the first purpose, even when I disagree with them about what right behavior entails. But I have never encountered an argument about cultural appropriation that does not fall squarely in the second group. Not once.

Read this complaint (in Cosmopolitan, which is funny a number of levels) [update: memory holed] about how a Nepalese woman being inspired by other cultures for Victoria’s Secret is an act of shameful cultural appropriation. Then let’s ask ourselves: what vision of better, alternative behavior does the writer suggest? If this is indeed cultural appropriation, what would righteous inspiration from other cultures look like? In other words, what would it take to get to a place where you don’t get the righteous satisfaction (and clicks) of finding other people below your moral standards, but where people are no longer guilty of the behavior you say is immoral?

I think anyone who complains about cultural appropriation who actually cares about getting to a more just world, as opposed to getting the personal, social, and career benefits of sitting in judgment, has to answer these basic questions.

• What is “a culture”? What are the boundaries of “a culture”? Are they only national borders? Aren’t there very distinct cultures within national boundaries? Can a person from the Midwest appropriate Southern culture? Can someone from Guangdong province appropriate Sichuan cuisine? Are there varying degrees of appropriation based on your geographical proximity to “a culture”? When does “a culture” become sufficiently defined that it gains the right to demand that its cultural objects not be appropriated? What if someone is raised in two or more cultures, are they allowed to cross-pollinate them? What if they themselves were not raised in either cultures but their parents were?

• What cultural objects are not appropriated, given the vague boundaries of the term? Where does righteous inspiration end and shameful appropriation begin? Jung writes that Victoria’s Secret is guilty of “breaking apart aesthetic references from wherever they wanted and stitching them back together again.” What cultural object has ever been created that did not entail exactly that process? What is the alternative? Does it matter if inspiration is explicit? How can we prevent being inspired by cultural objects from other cultures even if we wanted to? If I go to an art museum and view art from another culture, and that influence later on subconsciously influences my production, am I guilty of cultural appropriation?

• Who is the arbiter of who gets to make decisions about cultural properties? People complaining about cultural appropriation often say that the problem is a lack of permission. But who gets to grant such permission, given that cultures are incredibly vast and necessarily house people who would disagree on questions of permission? Does it come down to a majority vote? Who would organize such a vote? If individual people get to act as representatives of a culture, who nominates them, and based on what criteria? White people doing yoga has been nominated as a form of shameful cultural appropriation. Does it matter that the Indian government deliberately spread the practice to other countries? If there is a dispute between different Indian people about whether yoga has been/should be appropriated, who should we listen to? Why do so many American writers assume that they have the right and ability to decide when members of other cultures have been appropriated? Aren’t college-educated liberals getting offended on behalf of other cultures themselves guilty of a form of moral and argumentative appropriation?

• How long ago must a cultural object have been integrated into a given culture before utilizing that object is no longer appropriative? Before Columbus, Italians had no tomatoes, the Irish had no potatoes, and the Spanish had no corn. Those crops were taken directly from indigenous people in the Western hemisphere. Is it therefore appropriation for Italian cooks to use tomatoes? If not, why not? What is the statute of limitations? If someone has a particular culture in their heritage, how far back can they go without being guilty of appropriation? Can I go back three generations? Ten? Do we use genetic testing to prove it?

• Do people from non-European, non-white cultures have agency in how their culture spreads? Don’t cultural appropriation arguments presume that the answer is no? Isn’t that indicative of a condescending and bigoted worldview that presumes all people of color merely have history enacted on them, rather than being agents themselves?
    Does it matter if a culture that has been “victimized” in this way is itself guilty of doing so? Japanese culture is often claimed to have been appropriated. But Japanese culture is one of the most aggressively borrowing cultures in the world, with Japanese artists and chefs drawing liberally from all variety of other cultures in their own cultural production. Is this relevant to our questions? Can one culture be a righteous borrower, while borrowing from it remains an act of shameful cultural appropriation?

• What defines the “relative power” of vast and complex cultures, when people claim that the problem is power imbalances? Given that any culture contains vast internal inequality in political power, economic power, social status, etc, what is the coherent meaning of a culture’s relative power? Is it perfectly congruent with the historical military and economic power of a given country? Is it simply an artifact of historical imperialism? Japan was both the victim of imperialism and guilty of imperialism. How does that historical complexity inform our understanding of its relative power? Do rising non-Western, non-European world powers like China count as appropriators or the appropriated? If the United States continues to decline in power relative to other non-Western, non-European countries, will it in time become a culture that is the victim of appropriation?

• Doesn’t a world without cultural appropriation look exactly the same as a world envisioned by white supremacists and other ultra-nationalist groups, who decry cross-cultural influence as “contamination”? How is the vision of a world without cultural appropriation meaningfully different in its conclusions than the Volkisch movement that preached cultural purity and which inspired the Nazi movement? Didn’t social liberals and leftists fight for decades precisely for the concept that other cultures have value which we should respect and emulate? How can you simultaneously pursue a world of diversity while policing strict and harshly limiting cultural borders?

• What is a consistent, practical, useful, non-contradictory, sufficiently broad, and livable-by-real-humans-in-real-life rule for how to avoid cultural appropriation while still permitting enriched and cosmopolitan lives that benefits from the vast diversity of human cultural production, rather than enforcing a drab landscape of restrictive norms and cannibalized, exhausted and mundane repetition?

These are not trick questions. They’re not a joke. I’m not asking them rhetorically. I’m asking for actual answers, for a simple reason: if cultural appropriation is an immoral behavior that should be stopped, then it’s the duty of people saying so to articulate a positive vision of how to avoid that bad behavior. I’ve never heard such a thing, and I’ve looked really hard.

I’ve asked some of these questions many times, of the people who complain about cultural appropriation. The answers I’ve gotten haven’t just been unsatisfying or unconvincing. They have been flatly contradictory. In other words, many people in the progressive world now complain about cultural appropriation, but almost none of them agree on what exactly it is, when and where it happens, who is guilty of it, what a world without it would look like, and how we can avoid it without living in a bankrupt, sclerotic, impossibly sad world without mutual cultural inspiration.

The people who are always on the lookout for cultural appropriation, most likely, won’t attempt to answer these questions. My experience suggests instead that they will roll their eyes, dismiss them, and act as though the answers to them are settled and obvious, even though different people within that group so often answer them in flatly contradictory ways. That’s because there’s no there there. There’s no bedrock to this moral complaint. There’s no coherent theory of cultural appropriation that can include all or most of the times that these claims are made that does not necessarily indict the people making the charge. No one will rise to this challenge. They can’t do it, and their attempts to do so will stand in direct and explicit contradiction with other people’s attempts.

You want a rule? Don’t mimic or perform being a type of person that you intend others to recognize as such, especially when that involves exaggeration or when intended to inspire contempt or humor. That is a rule about people, not a rule about culture. If you are knowingly attempting to look or act like a member of a group that others would recognize – if the point is to be recognized as doing so – then you are already guilty. That has nothing to do with cultural borrowing. It has to do with the mutual recognition of you and the people you are dressing up for that you are intentionally adopting another group as a role, costume, or similar. So no blackface, no Mexican “costumes” on Cinco de Mayo, no wearing a Native American headdress, no “talking ghetto.” If you intend to be seen as part of a group that you know you would not naturally be perceived as part of being, then it’s wrong. It’s not complicated.

You want to put a flower motif on your lingerie that is inspired by Japanese artwork? Go for it. Because no one – no one – can articulate a plausible, comprehensive vision of a world where you’re not allowed to do so.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
at work we have two drinking fountains and I've demanded that one be for whites only and the other be for coloreds only

not because I'm trying to make a political statement but because I'm the only minority in the office and I want my own fountain that I don't have to share

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

the trump tutelage posted:

The noble purpose of moral critiques is to try and inspire better behavior. The destructive purpose of moral critiques is to elevate the person making them in relation to those being critiqued – “you are bad and I am good and saying so gives me power over you.” Most of the time, I sincerely believe people are operating based on the first purpose, even when I disagree with them about what right behavior entails. But I have never encountered an argument about cultural appropriation that does not fall squarely in the second group. Not once.

Read this complaint (in Cosmopolitan, which is funny a number of levels) [update: memory holed] about how a Nepalese woman being inspired by other cultures for Victoria’s Secret is an act of shameful cultural appropriation. Then let’s ask ourselves: what vision of better, alternative behavior does the writer suggest? If this is indeed cultural appropriation, what would righteous inspiration from other cultures look like? In other words, what would it take to get to a place where you don’t get the righteous satisfaction (and clicks) of finding other people below your moral standards, but where people are no longer guilty of the behavior you say is immoral?

I think anyone who complains about cultural appropriation who actually cares about getting to a more just world, as opposed to getting the personal, social, and career benefits of sitting in judgment, has to answer these basic questions.

• What is “a culture”? What are the boundaries of “a culture”? Are they only national borders? Aren’t there very distinct cultures within national boundaries? Can a person from the Midwest appropriate Southern culture? Can someone from Guangdong province appropriate Sichuan cuisine? Are there varying degrees of appropriation based on your geographical proximity to “a culture”? When does “a culture” become sufficiently defined that it gains the right to demand that its cultural objects not be appropriated? What if someone is raised in two or more cultures, are they allowed to cross-pollinate them? What if they themselves were not raised in either cultures but their parents were?

• What cultural objects are not appropriated, given the vague boundaries of the term? Where does righteous inspiration end and shameful appropriation begin? Jung writes that Victoria’s Secret is guilty of “breaking apart aesthetic references from wherever they wanted and stitching them back together again.” What cultural object has ever been created that did not entail exactly that process? What is the alternative? Does it matter if inspiration is explicit? How can we prevent being inspired by cultural objects from other cultures even if we wanted to? If I go to an art museum and view art from another culture, and that influence later on subconsciously influences my production, am I guilty of cultural appropriation?

• Who is the arbiter of who gets to make decisions about cultural properties? People complaining about cultural appropriation often say that the problem is a lack of permission. But who gets to grant such permission, given that cultures are incredibly vast and necessarily house people who would disagree on questions of permission? Does it come down to a majority vote? Who would organize such a vote? If individual people get to act as representatives of a culture, who nominates them, and based on what criteria? White people doing yoga has been nominated as a form of shameful cultural appropriation. Does it matter that the Indian government deliberately spread the practice to other countries? If there is a dispute between different Indian people about whether yoga has been/should be appropriated, who should we listen to? Why do so many American writers assume that they have the right and ability to decide when members of other cultures have been appropriated? Aren’t college-educated liberals getting offended on behalf of other cultures themselves guilty of a form of moral and argumentative appropriation?

• How long ago must a cultural object have been integrated into a given culture before utilizing that object is no longer appropriative? Before Columbus, Italians had no tomatoes, the Irish had no potatoes, and the Spanish had no corn. Those crops were taken directly from indigenous people in the Western hemisphere. Is it therefore appropriation for Italian cooks to use tomatoes? If not, why not? What is the statute of limitations? If someone has a particular culture in their heritage, how far back can they go without being guilty of appropriation? Can I go back three generations? Ten? Do we use genetic testing to prove it?

• Do people from non-European, non-white cultures have agency in how their culture spreads? Don’t cultural appropriation arguments presume that the answer is no? Isn’t that indicative of a condescending and bigoted worldview that presumes all people of color merely have history enacted on them, rather than being agents themselves?
    Does it matter if a culture that has been “victimized” in this way is itself guilty of doing so? Japanese culture is often claimed to have been appropriated. But Japanese culture is one of the most aggressively borrowing cultures in the world, with Japanese artists and chefs drawing liberally from all variety of other cultures in their own cultural production. Is this relevant to our questions? Can one culture be a righteous borrower, while borrowing from it remains an act of shameful cultural appropriation?

• What defines the “relative power” of vast and complex cultures, when people claim that the problem is power imbalances? Given that any culture contains vast internal inequality in political power, economic power, social status, etc, what is the coherent meaning of a culture’s relative power? Is it perfectly congruent with the historical military and economic power of a given country? Is it simply an artifact of historical imperialism? Japan was both the victim of imperialism and guilty of imperialism. How does that historical complexity inform our understanding of its relative power? Do rising non-Western, non-European world powers like China count as appropriators or the appropriated? If the United States continues to decline in power relative to other non-Western, non-European countries, will it in time become a culture that is the victim of appropriation?

• Doesn’t a world without cultural appropriation look exactly the same as a world envisioned by white supremacists and other ultra-nationalist groups, who decry cross-cultural influence as “contamination”? How is the vision of a world without cultural appropriation meaningfully different in its conclusions than the Volkisch movement that preached cultural purity and which inspired the Nazi movement? Didn’t social liberals and leftists fight for decades precisely for the concept that other cultures have value which we should respect and emulate? How can you simultaneously pursue a world of diversity while policing strict and harshly limiting cultural borders?

• What is a consistent, practical, useful, non-contradictory, sufficiently broad, and livable-by-real-humans-in-real-life rule for how to avoid cultural appropriation while still permitting enriched and cosmopolitan lives that benefits from the vast diversity of human cultural production, rather than enforcing a drab landscape of restrictive norms and cannibalized, exhausted and mundane repetition?

These are not trick questions. They’re not a joke. I’m not asking them rhetorically. I’m asking for actual answers, for a simple reason: if cultural appropriation is an immoral behavior that should be stopped, then it’s the duty of people saying so to articulate a positive vision of how to avoid that bad behavior. I’ve never heard such a thing, and I’ve looked really hard.

I’ve asked some of these questions many times, of the people who complain about cultural appropriation. The answers I’ve gotten haven’t just been unsatisfying or unconvincing. They have been flatly contradictory. In other words, many people in the progressive world now complain about cultural appropriation, but almost none of them agree on what exactly it is, when and where it happens, who is guilty of it, what a world without it would look like, and how we can avoid it without living in a bankrupt, sclerotic, impossibly sad world without mutual cultural inspiration.

The people who are always on the lookout for cultural appropriation, most likely, won’t attempt to answer these questions. My experience suggests instead that they will roll their eyes, dismiss them, and act as though the answers to them are settled and obvious, even though different people within that group so often answer them in flatly contradictory ways. That’s because there’s no there there. There’s no bedrock to this moral complaint. There’s no coherent theory of cultural appropriation that can include all or most of the times that these claims are made that does not necessarily indict the people making the charge. No one will rise to this challenge. They can’t do it, and their attempts to do so will stand in direct and explicit contradiction with other people’s attempts.

You want a rule? Don’t mimic or perform being a type of person that you intend others to recognize as such, especially when that involves exaggeration or when intended to inspire contempt or humor. That is a rule about people, not a rule about culture. If you are knowingly attempting to look or act like a member of a group that others would recognize – if the point is to be recognized as doing so – then you are already guilty. That has nothing to do with cultural borrowing. It has to do with the mutual recognition of you and the people you are dressing up for that you are intentionally adopting another group as a role, costume, or similar. So no blackface, no Mexican “costumes” on Cinco de Mayo, no wearing a Native American headdress, no “talking ghetto.” If you intend to be seen as part of a group that you know you would not naturally be perceived as part of being, then it’s wrong. It’s not complicated.

You want to put a flower motif on your lingerie that is inspired by Japanese artwork? Go for it. Because no one – no one – can articulate a plausible, comprehensive vision of a world where you’re not allowed to do so.

what like this writer? i agree

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Sorgrid posted:

What a terrible loving lady, you don't harass people over their hair, goddamn.

HailHorrorHail
Jun 9, 2015

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Way to stick it to the 100lbs hippie vegan white dudes that wear dreads, that's definitely a productive political target after 46℅ of the country voted for Trump.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the trump tutelage posted:

why didn't you just post a link to the blog that you got this from

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
if anyone's actually looking to read more of the guy who wrote that he has his own blog

Sorgrid
May 1, 2007
So it goes.

Freddie posted:

a good caremad repost

I think that it's really simpler than all of this. Politicians have attempted to instrumentalize identity studies in general but it effectively turned into another social wedge, approved by bigots from both sides of the political spectrum. The endgame is the (re)appropriation of the identitarian discourse by the hard right, increasingly difficult intersectionality of the struggles (for the left, at least) and radicalization.

Reminds me of my milquetoast liberal friends who oppose gentrification not because how it negatively affects the living conditions of the poor living in those neigborhoods but because "minorities have the right to THEIR own neighborhoods", or believe it's okay to have political meetings that bar the entry to males or whites

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
That sort of leads into the discussion of "are safe spaces a good idea", with the answer over time turning out to be "loving nope" - for every dickhead you block from disrupting your space, you give a dickhead inside that space free reign on their bullshit, because calling them on that bullshit means threatening to be ejected. So the problem they exist to counter is real, but the cure itself introduces its own problems.

But the issue then is 'okay, but does that mean we're back to square one, where it comes to there being no space where oppressed people can talk and organize openly?', with my reply being 'I hope not'. Can reasonable norms be enforced without corruption talking root? Can security be guaranteed without relying on identity profiling? My hypothesis is: yes, but not without a structured, systems-based approach.

Sorgrid
May 1, 2007
So it goes.

tag youre fat posted:

if anyone's actually looking to read more of the guy who wrote that he has his own blog

This is a rather good blog btw.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

oh its freddy deboer i thought i smelled wet diaper

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Crowsbeak posted:

racists find a way

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

freddie deboer isnt so much a man as he is harlan hill's enchanted talking bowtie

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

freddie deboer cant get life insurance because the actuarial stables show hes got a 50/50 chance of dying in the next two years from jumping in front of a nazi to protect him from a flying punch

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

if you want to meet fredde deboer in your dreams, whisper "bernie would have won" unironically into your pillow three times and drink an entire bottle of codliver oil

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

freddie deboer lives in a literal ivory tower, as in made from elephant tusks but dont ask him whether theyre from african or asian elephants because he gets really sensitive about cultural appropriation

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

anyone who legitimately cares about cultural appropriation should probably kill themselves imo

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

the superhero origin story that turned fdb into the identity politickin' culture warrin' pissbaby he is today is when a white kid and a black kid came together to make fun of his spangled toby keith concert souvenir blouse (they only had girl's sizes left)

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

fdb coined and is the only one who unironically uses the term "reverse transphobia" which he explains on the first day of class every semester to a room full of bored teens and one very excited Internet Guy

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

old dirty deboer has a dartboard with malxom x's picture on it in his cramped adjunct's quarters but dont worry, youre going to get the long form version of why its Actually Not Racist and philosophically consistent with his leftism whether you like it or not

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

after a particularly heated debate with the egg xXx_BlackDiamond_xXx over whether the new yorker's use of the umlaut over the i in naïve is the real cultural appropriation, freddie deboer swerved to hit a black child in a crosswalk while screaming "is this what you want, liberals?!?!?!?" (Incidentally he was never charged because the police determined that the child could have theoretically been carrying a weapon)

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

shut the gently caress up Al!

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
you know a joke is really good, when you have to say it 8 times

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

shut the gently caress up Al!

you down with fdb? Nah, you know me i find the left wing version if identity politics so tiresome id rather watch a 24 hour marathon of hillary clinton's fight song intercut with youtube clips of a white 20 year old girl with a tumblr read through a dictionary and explain which of the words are racist

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Al! posted:

you down with fdb? Nah, you know me i find the left wing version if identity politics so tiresome id rather watch a 24 hour marathon of hillary clinton's fight song intercut with youtube clips of a white 20 year old girl with a tumblr read through a dictionary and explain which of the words are racist

use the dang edit button Al!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

this morning i asked my scrying pool to see the source of the economic anxiety meme and was instantly taken to an alpine steam where there, carved into the living rock, was the name freddie deboer

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

that last one isnt really a joke, hes the first and only person i ever remember seeing using the term "economic anxiety" unironically

ok im done now you can go back to your serious and productive discussion about whether dipping radishes in mayo constitutes a grave insult to people of mexican-american heritage or whether believing that is the greatest obstacle to the rise of global economic justice or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
no no, by all means, keep going

• Locked thread