Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
i liked it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

rudatron posted:

no no, by all means, keep going

this, but ironically
humor is in short supply at this point in the thread, as the recent posters, other than Al and the poster above me, seem to find the concept of humor puzzling

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

this, but ironically
humor is in short supply at this point in the thread, as the recent posters, besides Al of course, seem to find the concept of humor puzzling

try reading all identity politics rants in a batman voice

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

passionate dongs posted:

try reading all identity politics rants in a batman voice

Nice! :omarcomin:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
i have no opinions about mr fred (tbh i'm still not quite sure who he is) but i'm always up for a good roast

HailHorrorHail
Jun 9, 2015

Probably why people are so against the idea of cultural appropriation being harmful is because in today's day and age, everything is a commodity to be consumed without worry and it's unfathomable that there would be something that they shouldn't partake in no matter what. Whenever you tell something someone isn't for them, their kneejerk reaction is to double down like an rear end in a top hat.

There is an American football team with a racial slur as a name that uses iconography of a people that has been almost genocided and is repeatedly asked to stop. Ironically the excuse "it's our tradition!" is thrown around to justify continuing misappropriation. Sports mascots are more important than real people, I guess.

Also lol "safe spaces are bad because they're too insulated" like the real problem support groups for sexual abuse victims have is the tyrants excluding people that don't have experience with the issue.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i like fred but this thread was too serious and needed some lightening up

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

HailHorrorHail posted:

Probably why people are so against the idea of cultural appropriation being harmful is because in today's day and age, everything is a commodity to be consumed without worry and it's unfathomable that there would be something that they shouldn't partake in no matter what. Whenever you tell something someone isn't for them, their kneejerk reaction is to double down like an rear end in a top hat.

There is an American football team with a racial slur as a name that uses iconography of a people that has been almost genocided and is repeatedly asked to stop. Ironically the excuse "it's our tradition!" is thrown around to justify continuing misappropriation. Sports mascots are more important than real people, I guess.

Also lol "safe spaces are bad because they're too insulated" like the real problem support groups for sexual abuse victims have is the tyrants excluding people that don't have experience with the issue.

instead of saying that the redskins are an issue because of 'cultural appropriation', why not just say that they're bad because they're using an ethnic slur and an ethnic stereotype for a mascot? that seems a lot simpler, and still more than enough to condemn them.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

people don't hate the team name "redskins" because it's cultural appropriation, it's because it's racist as hell. same with Chief Wahoo and the tomahawk chop

HailHorrorHail
Jun 9, 2015

get that OUT of my face posted:

i like fred but this thread was too serious and needed some lightening up

Actually this is D&D, a place for serious discussion and...

*Looks at forum title*

Oh poo poo

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 241 days!
tradition was invented in the 19th Century so Scotsmen could wear skirts and troll the English with bagpipes.

the most traditional sport is actually golf.

HailHorrorHail
Jun 9, 2015

It's racist because it's appropriative. Same thing with the Boy Scouts having the weird "tribal" camps where they make up Indian dances while chanting about how America is great.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

it's racist because it's a racial slur. chief wahoo is racist because it's a comically racist caricature of a native american

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

HailHorrorHail posted:

It's racist because it's appropriative. Same thing with the Boy Scouts having the weird "tribal" camps where they make up Indian dances while chanting about how America is great.

please stop appropriating my culture of "being a complete retard"

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

HailHorrorHail posted:

Those chants are fun. Why do you think they are bad?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
wearing dreadlocks is not some slipperly slope to blackface/mocking american indians, so if you label both as the same CultureCrime, then your label is dumb and stupid

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

this image is very funny

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The real problem with dreadlocks is that people think they're an excuse to be groty as Hell.

Terror Sweat posted:

this image is very funny

the "Japanese narrative" is chauvinist as Hell lmao

HailHorrorHail
Jun 9, 2015

Terror Sweat posted:

please stop appropriating my culture of "being a complete retard"

I'm actually 1/16 retarded on account of my great-granddad so its my culture too, brother.

The Kingfish posted:

Those chants are fun. Why do you think they are bad?

Because America actually isn't great. Otherwise, why would Trump run to "Make America Great Again"?

rudatron posted:

wearing dreadlocks is not some slipperly slope to blackface/mocking american indians, so if you label both as the same CultureCrime, then your label is dumb and stupid

If you can provide one example of a white person with dreadlocks that don't look like absolute trash, I'll let you continue to argue in bad faith that I think those are of the same severity.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Fred seems cool given Al's reaction to him.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
yeah he's a whiny equivocating coward, you'd love him

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

HailHorrorHail posted:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news on this particular topic but

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...m=.1b475dbce1d8

There's about the same percentage of native americans mad about the Redskins name/emblem as there are people who think that earth is flat or that trump==hitler. We call that the magical caremad ratio

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

white people with dreadlocks aren't committing a hate crime, they're just assholes

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

gobbagool posted:

There's about the same percentage of native americans mad about the Redskins name/emblem as there are people who think that earth is flat or that trump==hitler. We call that the magical caremad ratio

I love that survey so much

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Al! posted:

yeah he's a whiny equivocating coward, you'd love him

Did he hurt your special snow flake sensibilities?

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

gobbagool posted:

Yes, the Washington Post only publishes the best polls, big league! These are the most luxurious polls, you've got to see 'em, simply the best.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

The Kingfish posted:

I love that survey so much

Native Americans clearly need the help of D&D to know by what they should be offended.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Did he hurt your special snow flake sensibilities?

thats a seriously pathetic comeback powercrazy, i would have said something like "that's why i'm your biggest fan"

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

Yes, the Washington Post only publishes the best polls, big league! These are the most luxurious polls, you've got to see 'em, simply the best.

Do you have a specific objection to the methodology or conclusion of the poll, which, by the way, resulted in the same percentages as the same poll taken 10 years earlier? Or do you just not like that the poll is revealing an inconvenient truth? If the Washington Post is no longer considered reliable by libs, you might just be far enough outside the Overton window to be completely irrelevant (you are)

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Al! posted:

thats a seriously pathetic comeback powercrazy, i would have said something like "that's why i'm your biggest fan"

I honestly have no idea why you or I should care about the guy, so I was wondering he did to "trigger" you.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

oh, the triggered meme

HailHorrorHail
Jun 9, 2015

Recent events have shown that polls should be ignored bigly.

Also a quick Google search comes up with objections on the methodology used.

breaklaw
May 12, 2008

HailHorrorHail posted:

Lol the position of the silent majority is what we should really be focusing on here

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Issue polling isn't the same as election polling, if the methodology is bad sure that's an issue but we can't just throw out all polling going forward because Trump won.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

HailHorrorHail posted:

You're just *so sure* that Native Americans are deeply offended by the Redskins name/emblem that you're just going to ignore all evidence to the contrary. Isn't it weird that it's always white middle aged women taking up the cause rather than actual Native Americans? It's almost like they're missing out on all the blue hair problem glasses tumblrina stuff so they have to make up something more age appropriate in which to engage

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

gobbagool posted:

You're just *so sure* that Native Americans are deeply offended by the Redskins name/emblem that you're just going to ignore all evidence to the contrary. Isn't it weird that it's always white middle aged women taking up the cause rather than actual Native Americans? It's almost like they're missing out on all the blue hair problem glasses tumblrina stuff so they have to make up something more age appropriate in which to engage

Its almost like they don't actually care about the terrible conditions that many natives live in and would prefer to use them as weapons in a culture war.

HailHorrorHail
Jun 9, 2015

lol did that polls joke trigger you

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

gobbagool posted:

Native Americans clearly need the help of D&D to know by what they should be offended.

I'm gonna steal your trust fund bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I'm gonna steal your trust fund bitch

I have a healthy 401k, but no trust fund. Aren't those usually for the people wearing che tshirts to the LGBTQIA+ rally?

• Locked thread