Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Oscar bait movies are visible a mile away, because they're always either about the movie industry itself, or super serious poo poo like the Holocaust or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Cultural appropriation is rad as hell, the best cultures always steal the best bits from others and make it their own. Eg- The persians had their culture stolen by the greeks, which was stolen by the romans, which was stolen by goths/franks, which was stolen by the normans, which was stolen by the english, which was stolen by America. And we all know that 'Merica is #1.

Black/minority artists getting plagarized or marginalized is not rad. They should get recognized.

My hot take.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Can't wait to be stolen by China.
That's less likely to happen then you think, China doesn't like foreigners or anything they represent, so that won't be happening for a while.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Make Persia Great Again

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
the really funny thing with complaining about appropriation, is that you're essentially guaranteeing that the majority culture will never, ever be influenced by the minority culture, in any positive way, because bastardization is like the first step to introducing something foreign

and since it's not appropriation when the minority culture takes from the majority, that's just normal poo poo, you're also guaranteeing that all cultural impact will be in exactly one direction, majority -> minority

you get so hosed in the head about racism, that you're literally enabling cultural imperialism, and giving it a nice 'progressive' curtain to hide behind

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
like if you want to prevent white people stealing rock and roll, go back in time and give all the young kids listening to 'black music' your nice little primer on cultural appropriation, how it's actually just violence against black people and bad, and congrats you'll have prevented all that nasty appropriation

the downside is, we'll be stuck with whatever stupid poo poo white people music evolves into, and all the racists white people at the time will be super happy with that, because they have bad taste in music, and didn't want all their white kids to listen to anything but boring & stupid swing or whaever, but you can't make omelettes with breaking some eggs

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Its not the appropriation that actually harms the minority culture though, it's just plain old racism that's denying them opportunity or whatever

It's the dumb college kids that are using the term correctly, not you, so yeah gently caress that noise

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Like you don't get to deploy the No True Scotsman fallacy because you don't like the implications of your idea, either appropriation is bad or it's not

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Matey, you're the one talking about how college kids crap totes 'doesn't count', because you said so, don't try this Just Asking Questions routine on me. Also all my posts are all insanely good, fyi, it's not my fault you have bad taste.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Sorgrid posted:

While passing out flyers at Malcolm X plaza, I saw a white male approaching with dreads. Triggered, I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDlQ4H0Kdg8
What a terrible loving lady, you don't harass people over their hair, goddamn.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
That sort of leads into the discussion of "are safe spaces a good idea", with the answer over time turning out to be "loving nope" - for every dickhead you block from disrupting your space, you give a dickhead inside that space free reign on their bullshit, because calling them on that bullshit means threatening to be ejected. So the problem they exist to counter is real, but the cure itself introduces its own problems.

But the issue then is 'okay, but does that mean we're back to square one, where it comes to there being no space where oppressed people can talk and organize openly?', with my reply being 'I hope not'. Can reasonable norms be enforced without corruption talking root? Can security be guaranteed without relying on identity profiling? My hypothesis is: yes, but not without a structured, systems-based approach.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
you know a joke is really good, when you have to say it 8 times

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
no no, by all means, keep going

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
wearing dreadlocks is not some slipperly slope to blackface/mocking american indians, so if you label both as the same CultureCrime, then your label is dumb and stupid

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Al! posted:

yeah he's a whiny equivocating coward, you'd love him
In what way do you think he's equivocating?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Dude, you made the same joke 9 times in a row, believe it or not 'pee pee doo doo he is a bad man' isnt a reply.

• Locked thread