Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Fidel Castronaut posted:

I'm responding to somebody whose entire argument was premised on the fact that a lot of people don't know a thing so nobody cares. This might be controversial, but I don't find ignorance to be a virtue. And, honestly, nobody thinks ignorance is a virtue but what we value as knowledge worth knowing is largely based on what the dominant culture values. So, of course who cares about the black people who got hosed over when rock and roll was in its infancy. Promoting the idea that people might want to know that if they are going to consume music is obnoxious for some reason.

knowledge is generally nice, but i don't see why knowledge of food/musical history is particularly important.

i don't think that consumption of culture should be dependent on a deep understanding of the history behind that culture. i'm gonna make some curry for lunch; am i doing the people of India a great disservice by not first researching the two-thousand-year history of curry?

i feel like i'm probably misunderstanding you here, because what you're saying really makes no sense to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

rudatron posted:

the really funny thing with complaining about appropriation, is that you're essentially guaranteeing that the majority culture will never, ever be influenced by the minority culture, in any positive way, because bastardization is like the first step to introducing something foreign

and since it's not appropriation when the minority culture takes from the majority, that's just normal poo poo, you're also guaranteeing that all cultural impact will be in exactly one direction, majority -> minority

you get so hosed in the head about racism, that you're literally enabling cultural imperialism, and giving it a nice 'progressive' curtain to hide behind

there's an interesting article i was reading about this recently (you might've already seen it?). it runs a little long for what it actually has to say, but this section in particular was good:

quote:

It may come as some surprise on both sides of the battlefield, but the Left has not always understood “cultural appropriation” as a form of oppression. This connotation of the term has become ubiquitous in today’s social media-driven political climate. But when it first came into use, “cultural appropriation” denoted very nearly the opposite of its contemporary meaning.

The idea preceded the term, as a product of the Center for Contemporary Cultural Studies at the University of Birmingham. For thinkers like Stuart Hall, cultural appropriation described the way subcultures were created. The contemporary objects of inquiry, in studies like 1975’s Resistance Through Rituals, were youth cultures in England: teddy boys, mods, skinheads and so on.

But the precedents ran deeper. Indian food in England, Negro spirituals in America, bathhouses in 19th-century France — these were all contexts in which members of what we might now call “marginalized groups” used elements of a dominant culture in altered forms, generating their own communities that could hide in plain sight.

i hadn't encountered the history of 'cultural appropriation' being used to describe minority cultures borrowing from/repurposing majority culture for their own purposes, but it makes a lot of sense!

another good bit

quote:

This is what leads someone like Richard Spencer to voice approval for incidents like one at the University of Ottawa, when a free yoga class for students with disabilities was shut down for “cultural issues of implication.” A Student Federation statement on the matter went as far as to link it to the threat of “cultural genocide.” At the blog for Radix Journal, an alt-right publication he founded, Spencer could barely contain his excitement...

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

The interest, is what is being referenced. If you want Indian curry for lunch, try actually going to the Indian place for it and if you are approached by an Indian person later, try not to zone out when they start talking about their culture because what you ate is an important parcel of that culture.

Put simply: show interest in the people who produce the things you like, since after all, they are people too.

i'm the person who produces the things i like. i make the curry. it's good.

i'm not the person who invented curry, of course. if i said that, it'd be dumb!

but the thing is, the inventor of curry is dead. their children are dead, too. ditto, their grandchildren. their creation has spread across the globe, and now people of all races and creeds can enjoy curry freely. that's a good thing.

it is absurd to say that, by eating curry, i am placing myself in the debt of any currently living person or group of people. i do not have a moral obligation to go out for lunch!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

you would be doing the people of India a disservice if you thought that curry was British food

although I can't imagine anyone being dumb enough to mistake good-tasting food for British cuisine

would i be doing the people of india a disservice if i thought that curry was japanese food? it was introduced to japan by indian sailors on british vessels, after all. does that mean that japanese curry is properly considered indian food?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
i believe it is Woke.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
i have no opinions about mr fred (tbh i'm still not quite sure who he is) but i'm always up for a good roast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

HailHorrorHail posted:

Probably why people are so against the idea of cultural appropriation being harmful is because in today's day and age, everything is a commodity to be consumed without worry and it's unfathomable that there would be something that they shouldn't partake in no matter what. Whenever you tell something someone isn't for them, their kneejerk reaction is to double down like an rear end in a top hat.

There is an American football team with a racial slur as a name that uses iconography of a people that has been almost genocided and is repeatedly asked to stop. Ironically the excuse "it's our tradition!" is thrown around to justify continuing misappropriation. Sports mascots are more important than real people, I guess.

Also lol "safe spaces are bad because they're too insulated" like the real problem support groups for sexual abuse victims have is the tyrants excluding people that don't have experience with the issue.

instead of saying that the redskins are an issue because of 'cultural appropriation', why not just say that they're bad because they're using an ethnic slur and an ethnic stereotype for a mascot? that seems a lot simpler, and still more than enough to condemn them.

• Locked thread