Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

American culture doesn't exist without appropriation, and I dunno how you can possibly get around that fact. Cultural appropriation critique hit its zenith when those kids protested a Japanese culture event in California, which was being sponsored by the Japanese government.

I'd rather live in a country like America that tries to experience foreign cultures even if only superficially, over a multicultural European state that effectively ghettoizes all foreign elements and tries to force people to take their clothes off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Comparing Macklemore to Elvis is extremely disingenuous. The vast majority of Macklemore fans also buy the albums of black artists regularly and go to their concerts. It's not a major out for white people to engage with the black experience like they could with Elvis. I'm sure it does happen for some dorks, but that's an extremely marginal problem compared to half a century ago.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Fidel Castronaut posted:

Sure, maybe Macklemore wasn't a perfect comparison, not that I was trying to make a 1:1 comparison but the fact is that he won his Grammy against Kendrick Lamar because his rap was more pleasant to white sensibilities than Lamar's confrontational politics. Compare Macklemore's "Downtown" to Lamar's "Alright" where he says 'We hate the popo when they shoot us down in the streets fo' sho'." Their audiences do not overlap as much as you seem to think they do.

The constituency of Grammy electorates represents the industry, not their audiences.

i.e. gently caress the Grammies.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

rudatron posted:

Cultural appropriation is rad as hell, the best cultures always steal the best bits from others and make it their own. Eg- The persians had their culture stolen by the greeks, which was stolen by the romans, which was stolen by goths/franks, which was stolen by the normans, which was stolen by the english, which was stolen by America. And we all know that 'Merica is #1.

Black/minority artists getting plagarized or marginalized is not rad. They should get recognized.

My hot take.

Can't wait to be stolen by China.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Crowsbeak posted:

I wonder what if some guys in Zambia start putting on corpse paint and doing music which involves guitar riffs and screaming about how life is meaningless/ paganism are they culturally appropriating Scandinavians?

There's a heavy metal leather movement in Botswana and it loving rules.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/29/world/africa/botswana-heavy-metal-heads/

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Sorgrid posted:

While passing out flyers at Malcolm X plaza, I saw a white male approaching with dreads. Triggered, I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDlQ4H0Kdg8

I forgot what his mannerisms were like. She should have dunked him in the trash.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

shut the gently caress up Al!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Al! posted:

you down with fdb? Nah, you know me i find the left wing version if identity politics so tiresome id rather watch a 24 hour marathon of hillary clinton's fight song intercut with youtube clips of a white 20 year old girl with a tumblr read through a dictionary and explain which of the words are racist

use the dang edit button Al!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The real problem with dreadlocks is that people think they're an excuse to be groty as Hell.

Terror Sweat posted:

this image is very funny

the "Japanese narrative" is chauvinist as Hell lmao

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

gobbagool posted:

Native Americans clearly need the help of D&D to know by what they should be offended.

I'm gonna steal your trust fund bitch

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I whipped out my cock and your father knew instantly that it was my right to carry his line. You're disinherited, bub. Everything you own is in my name now. I'm cashing your 401k and spending it all on cigarettes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I like typing Al! at the end of a sentence because it looks like I'm yelling on the last word

• Locked thread