Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Fidel Castronaut posted:

Sure, maybe Macklemore wasn't a perfect comparison, not that I was trying to make a 1:1 comparison but the fact is that he won his Grammy against Kendrick Lamar because his rap was more pleasant to white sensibilities than Lamar's confrontational politics. Compare Macklemore's "Downtown" to Lamar's "Alright" where he says 'We hate the popo when they shoot us down in the streets fo' sho'." Their audiences do not overlap as much as you seem to think they do.

For whatever it's worth, we are :agreed: on this subject.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Can't wait to be stolen by China.

:same:

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

Uncle Wemus posted:

so should all culture be hidden away and guarded so as not to taint or be tainted by outside forces?

No. Just show some interest in the people whose culture you are appropriating. This is what I've been told.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

rudatron posted:

That's less likely to happen then you think, China doesn't like foreigners or anything they represent, so that won't be happening for a while.

That doesn't mean they don't want to fully absorb our GDP.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

Fidel Castronaut posted:

like senator graham said, if you're a white kid from the suburbs blasting nwa it would be good to maybe do just like five minutes research into the war on drugs and white flight to understand exactly the cultural moment that dre and the gang were speaking from instead of just that thing that we white people do where we're like "yeah, baller!"

:beerpal:

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

PleasingFungus posted:

knowledge is generally nice, but i don't see why knowledge of food/musical history is particularly important.

i don't think that consumption of culture should be dependent on a deep understanding of the history behind that culture. i'm gonna make some curry for lunch; am i doing the people of India a great disservice by not first researching the two-thousand-year history of curry?

i feel like i'm probably misunderstanding you here, because what you're saying really makes no sense to me.

The interest, is what is being referenced. If you want Indian curry for lunch, try actually going to the Indian place for it and if you are approached by an Indian person later, try not to zone out when they start talking about their culture because what you ate is an important parcel of that culture.

Put simply: show interest in the people who produce the things you like, since after all, they are people too.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

The Kingfish posted:

Not that this scenario would ever actually happen, but why should I give a gently caress about his culture??

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

rudatron posted:

no no, by all means, keep going

this, but ironically
humor is in short supply at this point in the thread, as the recent posters, other than Al and the poster above me, seem to find the concept of humor puzzling

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

passionate dongs posted:

try reading all identity politics rants in a batman voice

Nice! :omarcomin:

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

gobbagool posted:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news on this particular topic but

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...m=.1b475dbce1d8

There's about the same percentage of native americans mad about the Redskins name/emblem as there are people who think that earth is flat or that trump==hitler. We call that the magical caremad ratio

Yes, the Washington Post only publishes the best polls, big league! These are the most luxurious polls, you've got to see 'em, simply the best.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

Al! posted:

I just posted like a dozen different substantive reasons why i didnt like him on the last page what were you expecting a fuckin literature review

No, as that would suppose a college reading level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

mormonpartyboat posted:

i wandered over to his blog and the first thing he says is "My current obsession is thinking not just “How does Trump go down?” but “How can Trump go down without strengthening the hand of Paul Ryan and his movement?”"

sorry ur waifu has a broke brain

:golfclap:

• Locked thread