Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Fidel Castronaut posted:

I think the Oberlin College thing with protesting the sushi in the cafeteria on the grounds of cultural appropriation was cringey poo poo because rich kids (e.g. Lena Dunham) go to Oberlin and they never seemed to give a poo poo about the poor, likely brown, woman who was serving them that sushi and her working conditions. But cultural appropriation is an actual concern because, like, rock and roll and rap are mediums that communicate the black experience and involve tons of black labor and then we erase the labor and the black experience and sell Macklemore and Elvis tracks. It's bad stuff. But people oversimplify it for sure.

Not only that but most of their criticism seemed to be over the quality of the food. It was a bunch of rich kids mad that their school cafeteria isn't as good as the $100/plate place back home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

HailHorrorHail posted:

White people can't make good food.

They can only take a trip to some other country on their parents money, eat some cultural dish once, then incorrectly think that they can make the same stuff as well, so they come home to start a ramen shop or whatever in some rapidly gentrifying neighborhood, churn out an overpriced disgusting knockoff and ramble about the "artistry" oblivious to the fact that thier implementation is devoid of charm until either they go under or get bored with it and move on to the next thing.

This usually happens in waves of whatever the fad of the time is, so any attempt by actual people of said culture to serve the same thing is either blocked out cause there's already 80 white hipster joints catering to specific time sensitive taste of urbanites or left to scrap for the leftover business after the fad dies out.

I can see why people would be sensitive of any cultural artifacts catching the eye of white people.

If this isn't a troll or a c/p from somewhere, where on earth do you live where this is the case? Maine? I live in loving Minnesota and I don't think I've seen a single ethnic food place where it was just a bunch of white dudes in the kitchen.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Fidel Castronaut posted:

"Hey, as a person who belongs to the dominant culture, you really should do a solid and learn some stuff about the culture that created the things you enjoy."

That's reasonable, it also doesn't resemble HailHorrorHail's post at all.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Squalid posted:

Have you considered that cultural imperialism is just as inconsistent and ill-defined a concept as cultural appropriation

This kind of cargo cult anthropology is universally incomprehensible imo

Anyone getting a bee up their bonnet about uppity college kids complaining about cafeteria food needs to take a chill pill and try and put themselves in their place for a moment.

I accepted that college might involve having to eat some lovely cafeteria food and so did everyone else I was there with, people bitched about the food but they didn't complain to the food services and call them racist over it.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Way to stick it to the 100lbs hippie vegan white dudes that wear dreads, that's definitely a productive political target after 46℅ of the country voted for Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Issue polling isn't the same as election polling, if the methodology is bad sure that's an issue but we can't just throw out all polling going forward because Trump won.

• Locked thread