Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.
Are you talking about cultural appropriation or criticizing cultural appropriation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

I think the Oberlin College thing with protesting the sushi in the cafeteria on the grounds of cultural appropriation was cringey poo poo because rich kids (e.g. Lena Dunham) go to Oberlin and they never seemed to give a poo poo about the poor, likely brown, woman who was serving them that sushi and her working conditions. But cultural appropriation is an actual concern because, like, rock and roll and rap are mediums that communicate the black experience and involve tons of black labor and then we erase the labor and the black experience and sell Macklemore and Elvis tracks. It's bad stuff. But people oversimplify it for sure.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Comparing Macklemore to Elvis is extremely disingenuous. The vast majority of Macklemore fans also buy the albums of black artists regularly and go to their concerts. It's not a major out for white people to engage with the black experience like they could with Elvis. I'm sure it does happen for some dorks, but that's an extremely marginal problem compared to half a century ago.

Sure, maybe Macklemore wasn't a perfect comparison, not that I was trying to make a 1:1 comparison but the fact is that he won his Grammy against Kendrick Lamar because his rap was more pleasant to white sensibilities than Lamar's confrontational politics. Compare Macklemore's "Downtown" to Lamar's "Alright" where he says 'We hate the popo when they shoot us down in the streets fo' sho'." Their audiences do not overlap as much as you seem to think they do.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Uncle Wemus posted:

so should all culture be hidden away and guarded so as not to taint or be tainted by outside forces?

like senator graham said, if you're a white kid from the suburbs blasting nwa it would be good to maybe do just like five minutes research into the war on drugs and white flight to understand exactly the cultural moment that dre and the gang were speaking from instead of just that thing that we white people do where we're like "yeah, baller!"

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

itt white people getting irritated about the imaginary people in their head who are getting mad at them for eating chipotle.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Mirthless posted:

lol dude he's right here:

Oh man, that's tough. I hope you're able to cope with that guy's comment that is totally the same as being mad at you for eating at Chipotle.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

"Hey, as a person who belongs to the dominant culture, you really should do a solid and learn some stuff about the culture that created the things you enjoy."

"OH MY GOD, CAN I NOT EAT A CHALUPA IN PEACE!??!?!"

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

"Rock and roll was created by the grandkids of slaves who weren't allowed to play certain venues and had white record execs serve them with lovely contracts and some of them outright had their music stolen by white artists."

"I AM REALLY THE BURDENED PARTY HERE BECAUSE YOU ARE DEFINITELY DEMANDING I BURN MY LED ZEPPELIN SHIRT!"

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

LinYutang posted:

fun fact: members of non-dominant cultures don't learn about this poo poo either, nobody cares

Thanks for this!

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

"A lot of people don't know a thing so, you see, there's no good reason to want people to learn about cultures. Bing bong, so simple."

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Let's just like, not teach history because like a lot of people don't know about it so like what's the point, you know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Control Volume posted:

I dont think anyone cares about people not learning the deep and storied history of foreign cuisine. but, I think we can all agree that it would be remarkably stupid for someone to say guy fieri is the authority on authentic texmex

e: except this guy ^^^^

I'm responding to somebody whose entire argument was premised on the fact that a lot of people don't know a thing so nobody cares. This might be controversial, but I don't find ignorance to be a virtue. And, honestly, nobody thinks ignorance is a virtue but what we value as knowledge worth knowing is largely based on what the dominant culture values. So, of course who cares about the black people who got hosed over when rock and roll was in its infancy. Promoting the idea that people might want to know that if they are going to consume music is obnoxious for some reason.

• Locked thread