Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 226 days!
It's super relevant to all sorts of aspects of Canadian culture and is a really important topic. It's a great topic to watch people who have done grad-level work on the subject post on.

It's also frustrating bullshit.

itt post about how gently caress this poo poo we're gonna watch some anime or a king fu movie or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 226 days!

Fidel Castronaut posted:

Are you talking about cultural appropriation or criticizing cultural appropriation?

Both. The whole topic is frustrating bullshit and instead of talking about it I'm going to post a classic photoshop phriday that is loving sweet:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 226 days!
To clarify you can totally effortpost about it, it's just not required because holy poo poo gently caress that noise.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 226 days!

Fidel Castronaut posted:

I think the Oberlin College thing with protesting the sushi in the cafeteria on the grounds of cultural appropriation was cringey poo poo because rich kids (e.g. Lena Dunham) go to Oberlin and they never seemed to give a poo poo about the poor, likely brown, woman who was serving them that sushi and her working conditions. But cultural appropriation is an actual concern because, like, rock and roll and rap are mediums that communicate the black experience and involve tons of black labor and then we erase the labor and the black experience and sell Macklemore and Elvis tracks. It's bad stuff. But people oversimplify it for sure.

Ironically the actual cultural appropriation in this case and the one above is the appropriation of the right of Japanese people, both American and otherwise, to decide what they're okay with. (Assuming these summaries are accurate; goons are usually good but who the gently caress even knows with all the white noise on the subject). Doing something to show solidarity with the cause of people who are not happy or in control of how their culture is depicted in America or The West is completely laid aside in favour of hilarious bullshit about loving sushi.

Instead of bullshit here is a picture of Darth Vader, a character whose depiction is deeply rooted in Samurai and Kung Fu movies:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 226 days!

passionate dongs posted:

me reading this thread

see if you are white this might be orientalist, or it might be a clever subversion. if you're black or muslim it sort of doesn't matter. if you're phillipino (but not muslim), ?

in conclusion who the gently caress cares cool pic

here's a pic by a Westerner based on Norse mythology and therefore Not Appropriation i think:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 226 days!
I haven't seen La La Land, but I understand a) that it is up for a million Oscars and b) that it is basically a story about it being okay for a white guy to passionately love jazz. Evidently this message resonates deeply with the people who nominate films for the Oscars.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 226 days!

rudatron posted:

Cultural appropriation is rad as hell, the best cultures always steal the best bits from others and make it their own. Eg- The persians had their culture stolen by the greeks, which was stolen by the romans, which was stolen by goths/franks, which was stolen by the normans, which was stolen by the english, which was stolen by America. And we all know that 'Merica is #1.

Black/minority artists getting plagarized or marginalized is not rad. They should get recognized.

My hot take.

This is called syncretism and is cool and good, but in the context of colonialism and imperialism it ends up being "replaced" to one extent or another by appropriation.

Example: when Evangelion uses Christian symbolism, the referent is not the West's experience with those symbols. That's cool.

When movies by black directors only get mainstream attention if they're about the white experience of blackness, ie as a source of guilt, that's appropriation and bad and literally everyone is sick of it and this has been public knowledge since at least Crash.

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 15:56 on Jan 26, 2017

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 226 days!

Man Musk posted:

F I R S T W O R L D P R O B L E M S

complaining about first world problems is kind of c-spam's thing

even in that context appropriation is kind of a luxury problem though because it isn't Trump

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 226 days!

Yup, specifically his Marvel Comics incarnation and basically a kicking rad fire demon/giant.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 226 days!

Man Musk posted:

he put peas in the guacamole

is this that effect where "he" actually refers specifically to trump now?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 226 days!

Squalid posted:

Have you considered that cultural imperialism is just as inconsistent and ill-defined a concept as cultural appropriation

This kind of cargo cult anthropology is universally incomprehensible imo

Anyone getting a bee up their bonnet about uppity college kids complaining about cafeteria food needs to take a chill pill and try and put themselves in their place for a moment.

I would think that it would be for their benefit to be taught the concept properly, since they clearly don't get it

I know 99% of the whining is code for "stop talking about the subject altogether" though

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 226 days!
tradition was invented in the 19th Century so Scotsmen could wear skirts and troll the English with bagpipes.

the most traditional sport is actually golf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 226 days!
The Redskins are an obvious red herring (npi). There's an issue which actual native americans do care about these days.

• Locked thread