Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
joke_explainer

Power has never gone out at my work... well, briefly, but we have backup battery that automatically kicks in and 1 week of diesel for a big ole generator. Only went on battery once for like 15 minutes that I recall and nobody noticed anything different in the office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joke_explainer

this thread title has been haunting me for days. its very poetic

joke_explainer

He ran the simulation again. The last eight had been with minimal life support, only a few of the hib modules powered on; the rest of the crew practically left for dead. This run was even more pessimistic.

The idea had been, just get them cold and then pump out the atmosphere, open the hull and expose the unplugged caskets to space. Save power that way. They didn't have the technology to revive those people, but they'd stay cold at least.

The simulation issued a ping and he began to browse the results. Again, no use. That was with zero sleepers, zero crew. The problem wasn't just the power but the fuel. Lost mass, lost distance, busted trajectory... No matter what provision he could dream up, the result was the same. Out goes the lights... and the heat... and the computers. They were doomed to be a cold husk drifting in the endless empty wasteland between the stars.

• Locked thread