Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Bolow posted:

I don't disagree with anything that dude says but fascism has to be met with a shitload of resistance and it can't be debated with or allowed to have any platform to speak on. I'd say it's about time to have actual proper hate speech laws but not with this loving administration at the helm

And therein lies the rub.
How would you write such a law?

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Canada has hate speech laws

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Stop trying so hard to be devils advocate
Maybe Bolow doesn't want to move to Canada?

joat mon fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Bolow posted:

Speech promoting hate or encouraging genocide against minorities, religion, or sexual orientation seems like a pretty solid place to start.

But again this is like some pie in the sky poo poo for like 2024 and beyond provided we all don't die in a nuclear holocaust

What words would promote hate? Would intent matter?
Are 'minorities' racial or demographic minorities?

MA-Horus posted:

brb gonna go back in time to 1941-1945 and tell my grandma's brothers not to murder nazis because we have to respect their feelings

(They were in the Dutch Resistance. They were good at killing Nazis. Their dad got thrown in a concentration camp because he was a judge, which is why they joined up.)

Punch all Nazis, bash the fash.
Good on them. It sounds like the Nazis were doing more than talking on the internet and that the Dutch were suffering more than hurt feelings.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 26, 2017

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Well, I'm glad I'm not in Canada.
(I hope no Canadians find that hateful)

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Robert Clary (LeBeau) was the one in concentration camps

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Heh. I like it.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

So, girl with MAGA hat = Nazi.
Got it.
How about sexually assaulting "nazis"?
Good to go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

It's not arguing in bad faith, it's pointing out what should be an absurdity.

How's this - the thread consensus is that punching who speak of disenfranchising others is acceptable at worst, good and necessary at best.
Does macing people who wear the apparel of an opposing political faction fall under the same exception?
Where is the line?

• Locked thread