Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

504 posted:

Schultz was in a death camp for realz, got tattooed and everything. Part of his agreement to take the role in HH was that the Germans could never "win" an episode (even for comedy purposes) and his character had to be shown expressing he believed Hitler was crazy, most commonly shown by the running joke where prisoners would all say something about Hitlers insanity, then all turn to Schultz who would let out a whistle while twirling his finger around his ear.

quote:

No one is more pleased with the success of "Hogan's Heroes" in Germany than Werner Klemperer, who played Col. Klink. A German Jew who fled his native Cologne before the war, Mr. Klemperer says he helped make sure the program showed the German army in a bad light. "I told the writers that if they ever made Col. Klink the hero of the show, I would quit. I wanted to make sure Col. Klink got it every time."

Mr. Klemperer, 72, adds that when the show first started running in the 1960s, the producers heard some of the same complaints one now hears in Germany. "People said we shouldn't be making fun of that period of time."

But he, like other participants in the original series, says the show shouldn't be taken too seriously. Robert Clary, who played a French prisoner named "Le Beau" on the show was, in real life, imprisoned in concentration camps in Poland. "I was an out-of-work actor," he says. "It didn't matter who I played."

One German veteran who wrote to Kabel 1 takes an equally philosophical view. "I myself served in that stupid war, and I lost a leg," the viewer wrote. "But I never thought that someone could make that part of our history amusing. My compliments!"

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB833513841417463500

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

YOUR BOY GOT KNOCKED OUT

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Suicide Watch posted:

Time to petition the White House to recognize furries as a protected minority. Sean Spicer would definitely be on board, he's probably one himself

close enough

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Professor Bling posted:

A couple Nazis tried to have a meetup at a bar in Rockford, IL.

Two of them had entire cans of bear mace emptied into their faces in the parking lot.

I'm just sad I didn't do it myself.

proud of il today

• Locked thread