Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Grem posted:

Also knew a guy who got a NAM for with a loving V for pulling a captain out of a burning humvee. The Captain got a bronze star with a V.

My dad was an Air Force command post guy from '69 to '92 (with a stint as a fuel guy on Titan IIs from '67 to '69) and knew a guy who'd been at the command post in Saigon when Tet kicked off.

So dad's buddy is the NCO for the command post and their watch officer was holed up in his billet while the goddamned Tet Offensive is happening in Saigon. The NCO grabs the other guy in the command post, grab M16s and a jeep, and go out into fuckin' Saigon in the middle of fuckin' Tet to grab their watch officer and bring him back to the safety of the command post.

The watch officer got a Silver Star, I believe. The two guys who rescued him did not.

Comedy option: They got Article 15s for not signing out their weapons and taking a jeep without authorization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

The Rat posted:

I misread that as being your dad at first and thought to myself that you must have genetically terrible luck.

I'm picturing the scene in Forrest Gump where he's talking about LT Dan's ancestors all dying in wars throughout history, except it's McNally's ancestors all getting horribly hosed over in ridiculous circumstances.

I do have a great-great-granduncle who joined the Union Army a month after his 18th birthday, was sent to a heavy artillery unit defending DC (a pretty sweet assignment), then after a few months was ripped from DC and told "you're infantry now" and sent to the 1st Vermont Brigade in time for Grant's Wilderness Campaign.

According to his records, he was promoted to corporal for bravery in battle on June 8, 1864, had court martial charges written up for him for "straggling from his battery and regiment without permission from proper authority" and for "marauding on the march" on June 13th. There is no record of a court martial, however.

And then in July or August he was sent to a hospital in Burlington, VT, due to illness. And then deserted from the Army that October.

Though he did get his desertion expunged and had the records changed to show that he was discharged from the Army, effective the day he deserted.

He and I share a birthday, it turns out.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

McNally posted:

My dad was an Air Force command post guy from '69 to '92 (with a stint as a fuel guy on Titan IIs from '67 to '69) and knew a guy who'd been at the command post in Saigon when Tet kicked off.

So dad's buddy is the NCO for the command post and their watch officer was holed up in his billet while the goddamned Tet Offensive is happening in Saigon. The NCO grabs the other guy in the command post, grab M16s and a jeep, and go out into fuckin' Saigon in the middle of fuckin' Tet to grab their watch officer and bring him back to the safety of the command post.

The watch officer got a Silver Star, I believe. The two guys who rescued him did not.

Comedy option: They got Article 15s for not signing out their weapons and taking a jeep without authorization.

This story happened to come up in conversation.

McNally's Dad posted:

The officer got a Silver Star. Bob got a Commendation Medal.

As an end of tour award when he left Vietnam.

• Locked thread