Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I babysat a guy who outranked me but got kicked off his crew for being annoying and incompetent. Gave him a busywork project that should've taken roughly an hour...three weeks later he'd miserably failed at it. But that was three weeks he didn't bother anyone. He got a "definite promote" from the wing commander during that deployment. Despite losing his aircrew qual twice in the previous 18 months or so.

An achievement medal I honestly feel I earned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I got a coin for literal B&E.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Terrible Robot posted:

You can't just post that and not tell the story, come on dude.

It was a "spirit mission" type thing. An old-school heritage item vanished and nobody noticed for months, because it had been stashed out of sight. Word got out that it was located at a base a few hours away, so two of us went to recover it. We knew what building and room it was in. The building was unlocked, the room was not. We found enough furniture in the hallways to get above the drop ceiling and get into the room. We then spent a good portion of the day with an angle grinder to actually remove the object. At some point, we heard someone in the building, so I went out to see who it was...I found some young dude who was probably an E-2 or E-3 in one of the back offices, and promptly questioned his motives for being in the building on a Saturday and whether he was really supposed to be there. He stammered and left. After recovering it and putting their ghetto display stand on top of their smoke pit in front of the commander's parking spot, we went to our contact/source of info's house...he was an O-5 stationed there. And when we got there, he was on the back patio drinking with the security forces squadron commander and the OSI detachment commander. We left out some of the details to avoid needing the "hopefully get out of jail free" card from one of our O-6s, and the fuzz got a kick out of the story. I'm not sure if that's my favorite part, or when I chased that guy out of his own office.

We got coined and got some patches from a group of 1970s era old-timers.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 29, 2017

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

If you're eligible (but missing) a campaign medal, get it. That can have an impact on benefits, job preference, etc.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

My sep medal and an aerial achievement got lost somewhere between my flight and the awards&decs shop, I guess. Found out later I should've had another unit award...meritorious or outstanding, whichever is the common one.

:effort:

• Locked thread