Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Rugby League 2018: at least the sex scandal this year involves a human. ALLEGEDLY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Smorgasbord posted:

He may only be an (alleged) rapist at this point but he's definitely a (confirmed) dickhead.

I do like this.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
Rugby League 2018: Confirmed dogfuckers, comfirmed mouthpissers, confirmed buttfingerers, alleged rapists

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Who makes more: Greg Inglis or your average NRL lawyer?

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

NRL 2018: Fortunately only a breach of basic human rights and not the salary cap

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
NRL 2018: allegedly abused a woman/dog, definitely abused the salary cap

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
NRL 2018: We didn’t abuse the salary cap (human) we just “managed” it better

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
NRL 2018: What did I tell you about thinking, you’ve been doing it you’re whole life and where did that get you

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NRL 2018: finally, a use for complex maths.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

NRL 2018: still better than any of the other football codes.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

NRL 2018: Bet everything you have on the Warriors to win it all

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
NRL 2018: Sydney's salary cap breach isn't marginal and haynes' rape isn't chargable

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Rugby League 2018: He may be a mouthpisser, a dogfucker and a rapist, but he is NOT a fullback

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Also NRL fantasy is going to be crazy different this year with only 21 players per team, a 9.4m salary cap and a positionally freeform bench. Should be a lot more easy for casual players now, it opens up in a few days, get amongst it

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
1 year of coaching the Warriors

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

bowmore posted:

1 year of coaching the Warriors

He looks quite a lot like david milliband
look!

:D I have no idea how imgur works
fuckit just take my word for it he looks like an english ex-politician

Dirty Frank fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 24, 2018

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Hello, I am a Yank who just learned of this sport and think I may be already hooked. As we have only one professional team in all of the Americas it makes it very easy to pick one to root for.

iajanus posted:

You'd think he would be smart enough to get one of his mates to hold his stash by now

Also I'm putting off writing the new op until the thousands of player movements finish and some new funny scandals surface

Sunday February 4 is the first match of the season for the Toronto Wolfpack. How's the OP coming? Would it be helpful if I contributed a little blurb about the Wolfpack and the rest of the Championship rugby league?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

First off, welcome to the thread. I apologise in advance for anyone (me) raining abuse on you for your opinions (we all support terrible teams and as such have a lot of frustration to vent).

Also, a heap of my family lives in Toronto and surrounds (and I was there a few weeks ago) so I'm definitely on their bandwagon.

So, the OP.... I'm totally most of the way through writing it. Totally. Unless anyone else wants to take up the reins... I'm happy to start getting drunk and formulating my vitriolic abuse but as always if anyone is interested in venting some bile please let me know. Otherwise I'll start in the next couple of days. If you'd like your stuff in the OP please pm me and I'll copy it in. Always happy to expand the world of rugby league, unlike the actual sport.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

I'm quite fond of the current OP - only things I'd add are something about scrums being an abortion and add "prescription opiates and Red Bull" to the list of Warriors supporters.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

I'd like to see a more positive OP to be honest. We've already got negativity pouring in from the media. Aside from specific wankers like Weidler who cheerfully reports any grubby nonsense which comes his way or, worse still, talk up Mitchell Pearce, Webster who never missed a chance to tell us how the Roosters are at least $3 milliin under the cap or how much of a horrible old oval office Wayne Bennett is, the media in general would gleefully gently caress the game to death if there was a headline in it.

Why not build the op around positive aspects of the game, like how it's the best football code bar none, players need to be strong and mentally tough and morw often do nice things like give fans lifts to the stadium? If you write a negative op then Buzz Rothfield wins. You don't want that do you?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I definitely enjoy the drunken bitter humor but it doesn't hurt to highlight some positive aspects. I stumbled on this article recently:
http://intheloose.com/2014/03/04/10-reasons-rugby-better-football/

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Rastor posted:

Hello, I am a Yank who just learned of this sport and think I may be already hooked. As we have only one professional team in all of the Americas it makes it very easy to pick one to root for.

Sunday February 4 is the first match of the season for the Toronto Wolfpack. How's the OP coming? Would it be helpful if I contributed a little blurb about the Wolfpack and the rest of the Championship rugby league?

Welcome. The Toronto Wolfpack will be very interesting to watch the next few years as they move up the divisions and get more regular games v professional sides - they had a good Challenge Cup run last season from memory. Any word on why FuiFui MoiMoi and Dave Taylor's contracts were torn up just before the season? Details have been scant down here.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I promise to write a drunken positive OP this year since I just had my birthday and am having a kid in the near future and have made a resolution to be more optimistic and positive

*there may be some positive takes on negative topics
**positivity will likely cease shortly after the first Tigers capitulation

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
Befoer we get the new thread, does anyone have the back story on Moses Suli?

Wests Tigers posted:

CEO Justin Pascoe said it was a difficult decision but is satisfied it is the right one for the club.
“Moses is an exceptionally talented player. That’s why over the last 12 months our coaching and personal development staff have dedicated so much time and energy in supporting Moses with his challenges, both on and off the field.”
Wests Tigers has been working closely with Moses’ manager Mario Tartak to reach today’s resolution.
Mr Tartak said, “While it’s always disappointing to see player part ways with a club, the Wests Tigers have been completely transparent, professional and empathetic throughout this process.”
Mr Pascoe said the decision was not made lightly and is about putting the club first.
“We are working really hard both on and off the field to build something special here at Wests Tigers. That includes building a culture and set of standards that cannot be compromised.
Mr Pascoe said that while this has been a challenging period for the 19-year-old, his on field contribution will always be valued at the club and Wests Tigers wishes him the best of luck in the future.
“I am sure If he’s willing to take responsibility, be a team player and commit to the demands of being a professional athlete he has the potential to have a successful career in rugby league.”

That makes it sound like he's been a bit of a naughty boy?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Apparently he came back twenty kg overweight and his ankle is still iffy

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

iajanus posted:

Apparently he came back twenty kg overweight and his ankle is still iffy

and eating up 400k

arn't bulldogs already in salary cap problems?

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Abalone Malone posted:

and eating up 400k

arn't bulldogs already in salary cap problems?

They have that same exemption the Roosters have

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

Smorgasbord posted:

They have that same exemption the Roosters have

surprised Roosters didn't make an offer, they are $750k under the cap according to Ian "Ex Roosters / Ex Salary Cap auditor" Schubert
https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&...GQp4ZUbB94nIow7

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

How dare you question the integrity of our wonderful foundation club, the mighty Roosters. For shame.

gently caress this positive poo poo is hard, it's leaking into my posting. I apologise, you wonderful people.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Smorgasbord posted:

Welcome. The Toronto Wolfpack will be very interesting to watch the next few years as they move up the divisions and get more regular games v professional sides - they had a good Challenge Cup run last season from memory. Any word on why FuiFui MoiMoi and Dave Taylor's contracts were torn up just before the season? Details have been scant down here.

I think details are scant period. The Canadian press simply said "it appears there was some kind of incident at training camp with the club moving swiftly to nip the problem in the bud" and the Australian report was that they were "released for what's believed to be twice breaking team protocols while they were on a week-long training camp in Portugal". Whatever they did hopefully no dogs were harmed.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Hey I just said it'd be nice to be positive about the sport as a whole. gently caress the Roosters, hang as much poo poo on those cunts as you can.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

ili posted:

Hey I just said it'd be nice to be positive about the sport as a whole. gently caress the Roosters, hang as much poo poo on those cunts as you can.

I have some plans for that section of the post. Although I'm crawling through it at the moment so at the rate I'm going it'll be next week till its done since I'm going to Sydney (HOME OF THE WONDERFUL ROOSTERS fuckhowdoiturnthisoff) for the weekend.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
need more positivity in my life pls so positive op

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The Roger Tuivasa-Sheck code switch that I mentioned previously is apparently a done deal. He's off contract with the Warriors and supposedly wants to challenge for a spot in the 2019 Rugby World Cup squad.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Super League kicking off chaps, Wire Leeds. 2018!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Who were we supposed to hate in the Super League again?

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Vagabundo posted:

Who were we supposed to hate in the Super League again?

Wigan, always Wigan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

In this game go for who the gently caress you want, neither are "the mighty Workington Town". Warrington on top atm.

• Locked thread