Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Toronto Wolfpack feat. Fuifui Moimoi, who is still apparently alive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

bowmore posted:

Tohu Harris is a massive signing

Watch him get the Hoffman treatment

:siren: NRL fantasy is up btw :siren:, I created a goon league for the thread: YOUR LEAGUE INVITATION CODE: EKY2ZAU4

It's H2H even though I got knocked out by the auto-include Lone Scout guy last year in the finals :argh:

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

bowmore posted:

i'd be keen for a low key cash tournament if anyone is interested

I'd be keen as long as it wasn't H2H

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Alain Post posted:

Since this is my first real season following league and I know jack poo poo, are performances in the Auckland Nines at all predictive of how the season will turn out

Not at all really, the only thing it's good for predicting is exciting young injury replacement players who might get a run in the normal season, like Bevan French did last year

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

I've only been watching bits but I don't think I've seen a half time team chat without the F or C bomb being dropped by the coach yet lmao

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Titans are definitely legit as gently caress this year so he might win a premiership yet

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

bowmore posted:

Our team is probably worth half of yours salary cap wise

i'm not confident at all of a win

It's basically a toss up to find which team can wildly gently caress up more

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Pretty shameful poo poo from Brisbane this morning, a full strength team as well (minus Blair and Sims) so no excuses.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Smorgasbord posted:

Rebecca loving Wilson still getting poisonous articles about the private lives of players out there even in death. She was a muck raking hack who made a career out of concern-trolling the NRL about off-field issues/rumours and frankly deserved whatever came her way. Still dumb from Foran but he obviously wasn't in the right headspace to let it pass by.

They both seem like equally lovely people tbh

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

I don't give a poo poo about the Sharks or Wigan and I'm probably happier to see the Sharks lose, but those first two disallowed tries against the Sharks were both loving awful decisions

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Dirty Frank posted:

Actually I'm not sure, so I looked it up. Here are the official rules for English RL (although maybe this match was international rules which are different again) http://www.rugby-league.com/the_rfl/rules/laws_of_the_game/offside

I prefer the NRL rules, I can't be arsed to look for the international ones.

Edit: the ref in commentary just said this is under international rules, so we should really look at them.

I watched the second try finally now, it possibly/maybe hits his left elbow on the way through, and the ref sent it up as no try, knock on, so its correctly no try, you need proof against the refs opinion to overrule. If the ref had ruled try it should have been given. I don't think he's been bad so far and Cronulla are niggly as gently caress.

The second try was much less questionable for sure, but this is coming from a league where the video ref generally has no expectation of "going with" an on-field decision anymore. Watching the video I just don't think he touches the ball before it hits his leg and for me that is a try.

Sharks deserved to lose either way but I can understand why they might have been tilted

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

BCR posted:

:horse:

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

AH ONLY TWO MORE DAYS UNTIL WE ARE AGAIN AWASH IN GLORIOUS RUGBY LEAGUE

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

He kept playing on despite an ACL injury, thats completely nuts. Entire Rabbitohs medical staff and Madge should be ashamed

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Sounds like the cows were the biggest losers in that game in the end: Coote may be out for 4-8 weeks with a torn calf, Matt Scott with an ACL injury, Winterstein broke his wrist and Taumalolo is out for a few weeks after that shoulder charge.

On the bright side we might actually see Ponga get a run.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Panthers have such a ridiculous team on paper even without Mansour, Hiku and DWZ and this game still feels like it could go either way.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Nevermind it's the tigers

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

I love how even though this round has been filled with very average refereeing Perenara steps up to show everyone he really is far and away the worst loving ref in the game

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

For every SJ or Foran it seems you guys have a dozen Maumalos

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

That forward pass call was one of the worst I've seen, lucky it didn't influence the result

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Apparently we're paying Bird $1m a season which is pretty hosed up

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

I know people complain a lot about the Broncos and the salary cap in here but in what universe can the Roosters afford James Tedesco

e: actually reading about it SKD, Fergo and Tupou are all off contract and Teddy is a pretty good trade for those spuds, who would all be on pretty big overs

Thinking fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Apr 20, 2017

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Bit of a silver lining losing Woods though surely? He's a lazy gently caress these days and is on massive coin

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Happy to call that Rapana try the try of the year so far

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Yeah souths completely robbed hahah

Shameful

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

The Queensland team usually picks itself but with the retirement of CP13 and injuries to a few key players I think it'll be pretty interesting this year. McGuire hasn't really been inspirational at lock for us so far this year but I don't see any better options. I think Walters will be pretty loyal and pick Myles and Lillyman even though they haven't impressed in the regular season, though I think Wallace will definitely get a look in, maybe Napa as well if he shows some form coming off injury.

My pick

1. Slater
2. Holmes
3. Gagai
4. ONeill
5. Boyd
6. JT
7. Cronk
8. Wallace
9. CS9
10. Lillyman
11. Gillett
12. Thaiday
13. McGuire

14. Oates
15. Napa
16. Papalii
17. Cooper

I like Morgan and I think he's the next Queensland 5/8 but he's not in great form and Oates gives us the size we need against NSW as well as being a utility. Napa and Papalii give us size and aggression on the bench, and Cooper comes on to run those deadly lines with JT that win games. I don't think we can afford to run a halfback utility anymore, especially since the NSW pack will be even bigger and better than ours this year.

If JT is still injured I think DCE will go alright alongside Cronk, but if it's the other way around obviously loving avoid, and you'd just throw Morgan in there instead.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

At least the Tigers will now have someone who looks like he gives a poo poo now that Tedesco is gone

He'll be good alongside Brooks probably, not great, but much better than Moses.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Dirty Frank posted:

Its weird being a Broncos fan, I'm not used to this level of love from the refs for any other team I support. I think I like it though, lol.

They walked the Panthers over with their revisionist poo poo in the second half though, once they realised how badly they hosed up that first no try decision.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

gently caress this is a sad game to watch

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Smorgasbord posted:

They really hosed up in discarding Paul Vaughn.

I mean Boyd and Paulo are both excellent props and I think it's just a bit of poor luck that they're both out of form this year (Boyd massively so) and Vaughn is in killer form. St George also gave Vaughan ridiculous amounts of money and people were a bit flabbergasted by it last year but he's put in a good case so far this season that he is earning his coin

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

ili posted:

Cronk took so long to go after he was given 10, should have been sent off for it.

Counterpoint: James Maloney has never been sin binned

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

The plan was to turn the Warriors into the Kiwis but it turns out they turned the Kiwis into the Warriors

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Looks like the Storm are getting cleaned out next year with Chambers signing with the Roosters

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Jono C posted:

The Warriors scoring points? What is this world coming to?

Don't worry there is a second half

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

iajanus posted:

Also does anyone else think the bullshit double header tonight is literally the NRL apologising to Brisbane for them not having a Thursday or Friday night home game this week? I could just about understand it if either they or the titans had a home game this week but to have two games from other states moved to be a double header at Suncorp makes no logical sense at all.

Brisbane doesn't want to play Thursday/Friday night games because they make more ticket sales for Saturday/Sunday games. Broncos games draw the biggest TV audience on Friday/Thursdays though so thats why channel 9 basically force them to play then

Better ticket sales is also the exact same reason Manly are playing their home game at Suncorp

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

iajanus posted:

Yes, I fully agree that the Broncos, widely regarded as one of the least powerful teams in the NRL with no pull whatsoever in the political sphere of the game, has been secretly seething and doing nothing about it for the last few years as they consistently got the same timeslot and had a regular length recovery time that every team in the league was jealous of :rolleyes:

If the Broncos could just play whenever they wanted they would play on Saturday when Foxtel has exclusive rights, and when they get better ticket sales?

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

I mean not to get in the way of your meltdown about club disparity but you were baffled as to why Manly would play their home game at Suncorp outside of a systemic Broncos conspiracy and the very simple answer is because Manly will get 40-50k ticket sales for a home game at Suncorp compared to 10k at Lottoland

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

I'm not saying Brisbane isn't a powerful club, I'm just saying the reason the double header is being played is because the teams will make a lot more money from ticket sales, not because of some nonsense garbage about appeasing them for not having a Friday home game or whatever

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

iajanus posted:

Also lol, it's funny that you don't even have this bit right. (using figures for the last two years)

http://www.theroar.com.au/2016/10/27/bums-seats-truth-nrl-draw/amp/

I mean that is great if you ignore the fact the article has a sample size of two for Saturday games (and doesn't make any reference to what teams they played, which makes a huge difference), agrees with my point about higher attendance on Sundays (which is also worthless information with a sample size of 1) and agrees with my point about the double header being a massive success in terms of ticket sales

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

iajanus posted:

Whilst I was making a joke with my first post, your logic here is hilarious since if we used it as a basis for decisions we should just move 90% of all home games for all clubs to Suncorp since almost nobody makes near the money they could by doing this.

There's literally no basis in logic for Melbourne and Manly to just decide to move their games to Brisbane this weekend apropos of nothing and it smells completely like there's someone who's pulled strings somewhere to make this happen for some reason that isn't being disclosed.

I was just making a joke but yes actually in fact there is a giant conspiracy and clubs making a shitload of money out of ticket sales for a once a year event that has been massively successful previously is just a staggeringly stupid and arrogant explanation that I've come to expect from a Broncos supporter

• Locked thread