Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Hello, I am a Yank who just learned of this sport and think I may be already hooked. As we have only one professional team in all of the Americas it makes it very easy to pick one to root for.

iajanus posted:

You'd think he would be smart enough to get one of his mates to hold his stash by now

Also I'm putting off writing the new op until the thousands of player movements finish and some new funny scandals surface

Sunday February 4 is the first match of the season for the Toronto Wolfpack. How's the OP coming? Would it be helpful if I contributed a little blurb about the Wolfpack and the rest of the Championship rugby league?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I definitely enjoy the drunken bitter humor but it doesn't hurt to highlight some positive aspects. I stumbled on this article recently:
http://intheloose.com/2014/03/04/10-reasons-rugby-better-football/

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Smorgasbord posted:

Welcome. The Toronto Wolfpack will be very interesting to watch the next few years as they move up the divisions and get more regular games v professional sides - they had a good Challenge Cup run last season from memory. Any word on why FuiFui MoiMoi and Dave Taylor's contracts were torn up just before the season? Details have been scant down here.

I think details are scant period. The Canadian press simply said "it appears there was some kind of incident at training camp with the club moving swiftly to nip the problem in the bud" and the Australian report was that they were "released for what's believed to be twice breaking team protocols while they were on a week-long training camp in Portugal". Whatever they did hopefully no dogs were harmed.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Smorgasbord posted:

Any word on why FuiFui MoiMoi and Dave Taylor's contracts were torn up just before the season? Details have been scant down here.

All three men who were cut from the Toronto Wolfpack have found new homes:

Fuifui Moimoi joined Bradford & Bingley RFC (Rugby Union)
Dave Taylor signed a two-year deal with Central Queensland Capras
Ryan Bailey signed with Workington Town

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Is anybody excited about the 2018 World Club Challenge match tomorrow (Friday) between the Melbourne Storm and Leeds Rhinos?

It's going to be 5am in my time zone but my cat usually wakes me up at that time anyway...

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Puckish Rogue posted:

i like the storm and hate the Rhinos yet am still not excited.

it's kind of like international rugby league: inconsequential

What if I root for the Rhinos, then we can internet fight

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The Storm were founded in 1997

Leeds was already a team in 1897

The Storm won the Premiership in 2012 and 2017

Leeds Rhinos were league champions in 2012 and 2017
And 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, and 2015

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Thanks for doing the OP iajanus, especially since you had to do it twice

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I guess there's some griping about the Rhino sponsorship of the balls this year

https://twitter.com/RLPA13/status/961704066840715266

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Well I think that club challenge match went about how people were predicting, I do think it wasn't quite as one sided as the score would make it seem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Stupid newbie question:

What is the difference between this style of field painting:

And this style (with some of the horizontal hashes being between the 10 meter lines instead of touching them):

• Locked thread