Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

iajanus posted:

Cheers Jono, but the Tigers have the Warriors beaten with our new and improved 7 man leadership group (Aaron Woods, Chris Lawrence, Matt Ballin, Tim Grant, Mitchell Moses, Elijah Taylor and James Tedesco). Woods is still main captain with Lawrence and Ballin as vice-captains.

At some point we may as well make the entire team the leadership group.

lol Tigers.

RTS captain is a head scratcher but ok, Hoffman sucks anyway. Tohu Harris signing is loving awesome because as mentioned, Hoffman sucks and is paid a lot of money so we get a massive upgrade for not much more than we'd be paying Hoffman. Hoffman is really, really bad.

Jim Doyle has made some loving epic signings since he's taken over, time to get it together on the field though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Fanatic posted:

https://twitter.com/FULLBOONTA/status/827285787372720129

I know Mundine likes to rig favourable fights, but come on lol

:lol: Quade's gonna make himself feel like a big man by beating up some chubby 14 year old

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

All of the bullshit aside, Hayne is really, really good at rugby league.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Alain Post posted:

Since this is my first real season following league and I know jack poo poo, are performances in the Auckland Nines at all predictive of how the season will turn out

Yes Newcastle likely to continue to an undefeated season

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

to be fair the Warriors game was probably a glimpse of things to come - repeated unforced dropped balls leading to a frustrating loss to a team we should beat.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Warriors playing absolute dogshit football.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

George Rose is about twice as big as his playing weight :lol:

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

iajanus posted:

Was pleasantly surprised about which singer sung which version of the anthem.

Although the English rendition was a pretty horrific attempt.

Yeah I was amused by that too. Both versions were poor though, and the aboriginal war dance continues to be dull as gently caress.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Who had Canberra for the injury sweepstakes? RIP Croker.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

The latest rort from grubby clubs like Parramatta and Manly:

Fox Sports posted:

NRL 2017: Manly Sea Eagles apply for medical retirement clearances for Brett Stewart and Steve Matai

Dan Walsh
February 10, 2017 8:10pm
DAN WALSH@dan_walsh64
Source: FOX SPORTS
MANLY have all but brought the curtain down on the champion careers of Brett Stewart and Steve Matai, but they face an uphill battle in getting their salaries excluded from the 2017 salary cap.

The club confirmed via a statement on Friday afternoon that they are in talks with the NRL, RLPA and the pair’s respective managers on managing their retirement from the game due to ongoing injuries.

As revealed by foxsports.com.au last month, neither Stewart or Matai returned to Sea Eagles training at the start of 2017 after both were sidelined midway through last season.

Stewart has battled chronic knee injuries that severely hampered both his playing time and form in 2016, while Matai has dealt with various neck, shoulder and back injuries throughout his 230-game career.

With both players understood to be on back-ended contracts, Manly could struggle to receive salary cap dispensation from the NRL for the final year of their respective deals.

The club must prove that neither injury was not pre-existing when either Matai or Stewart signed their last deals with the club, otherwise their wages will count towards the Sea Eagles salary cap for 2017.

Complicating that decision is the fact it’s likely to land with the NRL’s chief medical officer Dr Paul Bloomfield, who was the Sea Eagles club doctor for over a decade and the majority of both Stewart and Matai’s careers.

Stewart inked a two-year extension with the only club he has ever known in August 2015, but has only managed 13 games in the 18 months since.

Matai, meanwhile, penned a new Manly deal six months earlier having previously requested a release to join the Warriors, and has played 27 of 48 possible games for the maroon and whites since.

Both clocked at least 18 games a year between 2011 and 2015.

It was Dr. Bloomfield who last season ruled Anthony Watmough, a former premiership winning teammate of Matai and Stewart’s at Manly, to be medically retired in the midst of Parramatta’s salary cap scandal.

That decision ensured that the final three years of Watmough’s estimated $700,000 deal with the Eels did not count towards the club’s cap, and was critical in getting them back in the black and playing for competition points last season.

Watmough’s situation has since been complicated by insurance company QBE rejecting a $1.2 million payout on the grounds that his injury was pre-existing, and saw the retired forward vow to return to training to ensure he received his payout from Parramatta.

The Watmough saga, along with other cases across the game, pushed the NRL to scrutinise ‘long-term contracts for older players towards the end of their careers to minimise the risk of career-ending injuries resulting in big payouts,” according to a statement in August last year.

Under revised NRL rules around medically retiring players, Matai and Stewart could receive full cap-exempt payment of their salaries.

The previous 2013 CBA meant clubs were only liable for 25 per cent of a player’s contract if they were unable to play a game due to injury.

With the veteran pair playing crucial roles in the Manly’s 2008 and 2011 title wins as well as a combined 462 games, the Sea Eagles have vowed to “give the players a dignified and respectful exit from their brilliant careers.

“ ... Manly Sea Eagles are working with the management of both players to give them the farewell they deserve in front of their thousands of adoring fans,” the club’s statement said.

Desperately resign ageing veterans on big backended contracts then weasel out of the cap hit on the back end by getting a friendly doctor to medically retire him.

edit: in light of QBE turning down Watmough's claim and him vowing to return to training I loving hope that puts them back over the cap this year and last because of his un-retirement.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Saul Goode posted:

Thank god the brave insurance companies are here to protect us from those dastardly NRL teams.

Says a lot that I cheer for the insurance companies over loving Parramatta and Manly.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Jono C posted:

Any attempt to get Matai's money off the cap is laughable, his neck and shoulder were wrecked years ago.

If Parra is going to screw Watmough around, I hope he gets them back. They got a huge break when his salary came off the books, denying him his option (which he's contractually allowed to exercise) is just dirty.

Imagine the court case, they could play an uninterupted 2 hour long clipvideo of Matai crouched on the ground holding his shoulder spliced from his career while Manly's lawyers shuffle around awkwardly in their seats looking embarrassed.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

The Warriors are such traditionally poor starters that I'm nervous as gently caress about this home game v Newcastle. This fixture is as good as a bye for every other club but it's exactly the kind of thing we routinely gently caress up :ohdear:

edit: ugh you reminded me of that loving putrid first half in last year's season opener

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Simona always carves up the Warriors so this is great news.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Warriors looking good, 2017 is our year boys :smugdog:

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Smorgasbord posted:

Warriors looking good, 2017 is our year boys :smugdog:

*Placeholder post for after the inevitable collapse*

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

MiniSune posted:

The smh ran a story a couple of days ago about the text messages to r.wilson. Let me guess there is more and it is worse?

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...215-gue44d.html

Rebecca loving Wilson still getting poisonous articles about the private lives of players out there even in death. She was a muck raking hack who made a career out of concern-trolling the NRL about off-field issues/rumours and frankly deserved whatever came her way. Still dumb from Foran but he obviously wasn't in the right headspace to let it pass by.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Pretty good game so far by early round standards

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Dirty Frank posted:

Why the gently caress is Inglis still on? He should sue the poo poo out of the coach.

So loving dumb, almost all of the Wests tries involved Inglis being an invalid to varying degrees of blame. Reckless coaching from an innury management perspective and just plain stupid for their chances of winning.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Dirty Frank posted:

Why the gently caress is Inglis still on? He should sue the poo poo out of the coach.

Did his ACL according to initial scans.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Saul Goode posted:

What happened at the end of the Cowboys v Raiders game? I was watching golden point up until Morgan botched his field goal and the Raiders went back up the field to score a try? Figured that was game and turned it off. How come the try was disallowed?

Forward pass. Eventually, Thurston attempted a drop goal which hit the underside of the crossbar then stopped just before the dead ball line. Santo was wrongfooted, ended up being Cooper beating JT to the ball for a try.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Problem with being a Warriors fan is you can't even enjoy the good periods, since you know the next soft conceded try or stone cold drop is just a few minutes away.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna choose to focus on the positives - RTS and Johnson looked good with the ball, the props actually ran with purpose and generally fought for metres after contact, and most of all we got the motherfucking 2 points.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

MiniSune posted:

Listening from inner mongolia. Seems my picking the Warriors was rather poor.

Changed my tip to Melbourne once I saw the weather.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Divorced And Curious posted:

hey everyone, just checking in for another year to make sure that souths are continuing to get worse every year that i support them

okay yep

good to know carry on

The pride of the league :thumbsup:

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

What a try!

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

iajanus posted:

Lol at such a try off the big forward pass from the initial catch.

The pass was fine, deflected off a Knight.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

For someone on the inside of the games and his bets, Tim Simona was a spectacularly bad punter: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/su...mtype=anonymous

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Wow we played bad in the second half last night. Raiders are doomed !

It's an off year for the Raiders, surely you know the pattern by now?

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

iajanus posted:

Did they actually give Taylor stiches last week or just a bit of tape. He's gushing blood under the headgear.

It's a new cut. Modelling career in danger.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Brooks is just an embarrassment out there especially on defence.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

ili posted:

Is it just me or are Melbourne being even grubbier than usual?

Slater is back.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Peak Tigers?

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

iajanus posted:

So how's the last twenty minutes been, I'm enjoying Zelda a lot :suicide:

Massive Tigers comeback, Brooks & Moses have it on a string

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

I honestly can't see a single NRL club having interest in Brooks at his current $400kish price let alone the $1mil plus he's reportedly asking. I wouldn't use a top 25 spot on him regardless of the asking price.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Out of all the Tiger's highest paid players I'd say Farah was pretty disappointing tonight, didn't hear his name called all game.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

bowmore posted:

Brian Smith would do a decent job

Isn't Brian Smith already heavily involved in the current shitfest? Word is Cleary has agreed to terms anyway.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

bowmore posted:

not sure how it's stupid for Taumololo

that payout when he retires in 5 years is going to be good

Reminds me of that medical retirement loophole Manly and Parra are trying to work right now to get out of the cap hit of backended contracts. They're maybe getting value from that contract for the first 3-4 years but the way Taumalolo plays he's going to get pretty beat up over the years. Sweet deal if you're Taumalolo though.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

iajanus posted:

He's 23, he should still be playing in 10 years*. Considering his quality and the fact that the salary cap will continue to rise he's hamstringing his future earnings considerably.

I mean, taking the million per year is obviously nice cash, but he could easily potentially do better in 5 years time if he renegotiated when the salary cap is higher (if he's still playing well). He could easily earn considerably more at that point.

It's stupid for the reverse reason for the Cowboys; if he ends up tanking then they're going to be in a big Tigers-shaped hole overpaying for him, or having to pay out his contract way over the adjusted market price.

It's just bad business for both sides.

(i would obv take the money, but I'm a useless park footballer so lol if I wouldn't take any amount they offered).

* especially since he's been pretty good with injuries, from memory

You're one injury away from the end of your career, ask Alex McKinnon or Simon Dwyer etc about that. If I'm Taumalolo and I'm offered $10million I sign that poo poo for sure. I may be leaving some dollars on the table over by my career but really what's the worst case for him - he has an even better career than anyone dreams possible and this is an undervalued contract leaving him a theoretical $2 million short over his career? I'll take the secure 10 over the risky 12 thanks. Also if it does turn out undervalued then he still benefits from the club being able to put better players around him due to extra cap flexibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

We always lose at Wollongong.

• Locked thread