Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
It will be very interesting to see how the raiders go now that they are expected to perform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Pick the Raiders we are by far the most entertaining team in the comp. Just dont have too much loyalty and be prepared to flee when they start to stink (around the year 2017)

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Panthers are actually a good choice for a new fan with no real alligence to anywhere in Australia to pick. A production line of talent and a team that really could win a premiership over the next couple of years.

A fun team too.

The panthers are a bit cursed though. They have shocking luck with injuries

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Obviously all of the coaches hate the nines but stuart is so blatant about it.,

Thurston bamboozled the raiders nsw cup players.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

So long as we arent paying taylor heaps of money i dont care if he sucks. So long as stuart doesnt insist on playing him for ages.

The last forward spot on the bench stuart was happy with clay priest there who is honest but not brilliant

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

I'm a bit pissed tbh. It's a pointless game. Hopefully it's his mcl and he only misses the first month or so of the season.

Awful.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

I dont want to come across as a bitter fuckwit here but its a dumb game for morons and should be thrown in the bin

But seriously back when it started the world team was pretty good and the indigenous team had more to play for so it was a good contest. Now the indigenous team still has all that pride to play for and the allstars are a piece of poo poo

Here is a far out crazy idea but enter an indigenous team in the 9s or have them play a pacific island team because right now its the indigenous team versus the footyplayers who are too dumb to get out of the game.

EDIT

Or play it at the end of the season before the grand final or something (obviously with all the grand finalists withdrawn)

Burn Down Canberra fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Feb 10, 2017

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

6 weeks is ok i guess

Should see him back by round 3. We have cover at goal kicking (sezer) and i expect the raiders to start slow anyway (physically large team over the hotter rounds is not good)

Still a lot of the raiders strength is outwide and croker is a pretty underrated centre. He is quite a smart player. Like last year against the warriors after defending most of the first half croker put a clever little kick in behind the line that turned the game.

Plus his point scoring

That said we started last year missing BJ over the first rounds because he forgot how to legally tackle for a period of time.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Our entire backline didnt play.

Very concerned with our depth to be honest. Any injuries at all and we are absolutely hosed.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

It was an audition for Crokers centre spot so they had plenty to play for. I would say that Nick Cotric was pretty good. Eddie Aioni could not have played any worse.

I would have Cotric in the lead as far as replacing Croker in the first few weeks go.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

bowmore posted:

considering one win in 2016 this is just confusing me and making me more optimistic than I should be

The funny thing is that you should have beat us twice last year. Maybe you guys are just a good match for the Raiders.

That said you guys will be WAY better than last year.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Good game

When we get all hands on deck and maybe dial back the insanity a notch could do alright this year

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Im not a huge fan of stuart getting us to grub it up. Thought we crossed the line tonight. Aggression is good but that was too far

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Wow we played bad in the second half last night. Raiders are doomed !

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Wow Paulo on Brooks

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

The tigers are our dream opponents right now. Small across the park and they slide terribly.

I think the tigers need good edge players more than the big four (tedesco should be a priority obviously)

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

iajanus posted:

The worst part is that I think we have the core of a good team, but we're completely hamstrung by having to pay out a dozen of contracts and can't afford any decent players in the backs or forwards.

At our lowest point in 2013 we had stupid money tied up in tilse, shillington, tll and white. Only really shillo we got near value from.

The tigers big four are better players but you guys need size. I'd let go of Brooks and offer his money to a player like Josh papalii or coen Hess.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

The tigers need to bring in a real prick of a coach with instructions to clean the place out and the board MUST back him over the players.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Simple jack wighton has really turned it around since his disaster of a game against the dragons last year. Im not saying he should be playing origin or anything but hes doing a good job. He hits extremely hard too.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

It really suits him

The thing with the tigers is this just from the last times the raiders have played them and the dragons game

Is that the edges are very exploitable. I often think its harsh when a half gets called a bad defender. Most halves are giving up a lot of size. What i think is more common is a half is exposed in a bad system and protected in good ones.

The tigers issue is simply a matter of systems. Do i think moses is a bad defender ? I think he is if the opposition gets a second rower running on him and he doesn't have a friend to help him out. To use the raiders left edge how many times out of 10 should moses be expected to shut down josh papalii one on one. Its crazy to me that he gets bumped by a guy who outweighs him by like 30 kilos and people say oh he is a bad defender.

The dragons also exploited the tigers terrible communication on the fringes. They made widdop look like wally Lewis

its quite crazy to me that the problem that literally ended their season last year is being exploited again this year. The tigers shouldnt worry about anything until they get their fringes and in particular the right communicating and sliding properly

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Weird im very happy with wighton right now. Yeah he is going to get pressure from cotric if cotric hits his potential (cotric has played only a handful of games though so lets slow the roll) but wighton has been really good since "that" pass

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Its going to sound silly to say this because we won 42-16 but i thought we played shithouse. Constantly took the wrong option.

We won that game because the raiders have a lot of players who can score a try out of nothing and the titans are a reserve grade side right now

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Big JT is a cheat player. Even more so than small JT

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Wow that was a blown try

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Not to take anything away from the tigers because they did defend well but boy do the cowboys miss granville.

Morgan and thurston looked out of ideas and the service from hampton was shocking so they were always on the backfoot.

So the ideas were basically

1. Pass to big JT
2. Pass to Hess
3. ???????

Now the tigers did well to mostly defend this because taumalolo and hess are tough to defend but yeah cowboys need to hit the drawing board. Also now that thurston looks dead they need ideas fast

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

The raiders bench is real bad. I know stuart wants to make Taylor earn it but sticky mate that bench stinks.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

I reckon you guys knocked on with the first try so swings and roundabouts.

Really good half tbh. I cant help but feel we are just hanging on. The warriors spine when it clicks is awesome.

Also blocker really deathrides them lol

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Im the most biased man in the world but even i was like really blocker ?

He just hates the warriors

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Think we were pretty lucky there. We got the rub of the green from the refs in the second half.

Still a good win. The warriors when the spine click are scary. I dont get benching luke unless he was injured because hes the type of bloke who causes a team like ours trouble.

Still good signs boyd and paulo are looking great. Hodgson for a guy playing busted is doing really good. All the outside men look great. Cotric impresses me more every week.

So we got a bit lucky but a good win

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Maybe we did hang in well.

Just the hodgson try that iced the game came off the back of a terrible call. Its not like the pocket ref missed it either. He was clearly yelling strip strip strip.

I think the croker tackle on RTS was ths turning point as well as the 5 minute period where the warriors decided to murder elliot whitehead

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

That was an enjoyable first half. A bit messy though.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Tedesco would have been a lot happier if he honoured his canberra deal imo

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

This sucks it really does. We were gutted in 2013 and 2014.

The tigers are cashed up they will find some good players. The knights is the bigger problem because nobody wants to go there.

I remember when we signed waqa (on overs) and he didnt backflip. I was so loving happy. A lot of the Raiders recent signings have been lucky/clever. Rapana was just playing local footy after he got cut by the brumbies training squad. How weird/lucky is that.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

I dont think ive ever been this angry after a game lol.

Just at how loving stupid we are. How can a team be this dumb. I just dont get it. I really dont. Im literally flabbergasted at that display.

Dont get me wrong manly were the better side but we could have probably stole that if we werent so loving stupid

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Stop with the bullshit
Stop acting like the biggest dickheads this side of the australian cricket team of the 90s
Just put your head down and play some footy you dimwitted clownshow.

You can play stupid or you can play like thugs. Stupid thugs arent winning poo poo

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rug...427-gvtjss.html

In this latest incident, police discovered the anonymous tip off that led them to the player had come from Papalii's phone. He admitted he twice called triple zero to report his own car driving erratically "to prove a point". The court did not hear what point Papalii was trying to prove.

:confused:

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

bowmore posted:

Papalli axed from the kangaroos for drink driving but is allowed to play for Canberra....

:crossarms:

Fifita wasnt picked for australia on character grounds but was allowed to play for cronulla.

Papalii will probably get a club ban on monday for the knights game and that will be that. Its in line with tamous punishment a couple of years ago

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Had a bit of a breakdown tonight but looking at the Raiders critically we have too many structural issues right now.

Too dependent on individual efforts. The defensive structures actually confuse me

There is the potential for a good team hidden away there but stuart must sign a decent metre eater prop for 2018. Doesnt have to be a superstar but first grade standard, big fuel tank who can go 100m most weeks. A David Shillington style player.

Sia looks like he suffered a brain injury. Next time any one in the thread watches a raiders game see if soa just looks lost and ends up in weird positions.

Wighton is way too vulnerable to a defensive line getting in his face. When the line hangs off him he looks amazing but under pressure he drops a heck of a lot of passes.

The bench is real bad. Tapine was good tonight and priest gets a low pass but the rest so meh.

With papalii likely out and the knights being a bit of a boogeyside for us i cant see us winning next week.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Smorgasbord posted:

They really hosed up in discarding Paul Vaughn.

I think there was a lot going on there. I think vaughan wasnt taking his footy as seriously as he should have been and his fitness wasnt the best. He could be quite lazy defending back on the inside.

I think he was the best prop at the club at his best but for a club like canberra balancing the salary cap is very hard because we dont have heaps of tpas. We do ok i think but certainly we arent in the top 6 or so tpa clubs.

So i agree that paul vaughan is a heck of a prop but he has been way better at the dragons than he was at canberra in his last 12 months. I think Paulo has been really good as an aside. Its just the third prop position thats an issue and boyd being down on form.

Paulo is good, boyd has been good in the past and priest is fine as a fourth prop but we are just missing a shillo/woods character to just do a lot of hitups. Tapine is going to be a great player but he isnt that type of bloke. I think he will be our starting lock eventually. Bateman is that type of player in theory but he is too small imo.

Teams are covering our outside backs better by flying off their line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

bowmore posted:

character grounds is a bit different from drinking and driving

also

nrl is silly

I believe its pretty much the exact same punishment tamou got. A rep game and a club game.

• Locked thread