Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That one fuckin' Battle Minigame swung the whole thing in a terrible collapse of random chance.

So, good to see Mario Party hasn't changed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

There were two times that the AI could have taken a path that got them a star, but instead decided to go the other way. :psyduck:

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

It is. Especially since you don't get the stamp just for winning. We spent hours trying to beat that map and Wario just waltzes in and says he should get it.

Callifornia2
Oct 16, 2014

If it was up to Michael we would not be playing the single mode at all. He would just say f-it to the two boards we need to unlock and just move on with his life but I am too dumb to accept this. Therefore single player must be finished and this means we must suffer.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
At least you'll already have everything in 4 right? :v:

On the bright side by the time you get to the real competition you'll both have a lot of familiarity with the mini games.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Warmal posted:

It is. Especially since you don't get the stamp just for winning. We spent hours trying to beat that map and Wario just waltzes in and says he should get it.

But at least Wario won't show up as an opponent for Chilly Waters at all, no matter what you do.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I think it would have been better if he was one of the computers on the board. That way he can at least claim that it should have been him that won. Since the person who gets the stamps is supposed to be the one who gets the board.

MR. J posted:

At least you'll already have everything in 4 right? :v:

Dear god, lets hope I still have the memory card with the saves.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Warmal posted:

I think it would have been better if he was one of the computers on the board. That way he can at least claim that it should have been him that won. Since the person who gets the stamps is supposed to be the one who gets the board.

Dear god, lets hope I still have the memory card with the saves.

Well... He doesn't show up for Chilly Waters because he's the designated Wit Star Stamp Duel Map Opponent (because he has the best "wit" of them all) because Mario Party 3's Story Mode takes you through every normal and Duel board in order (sans a certain part of the game). Think of him as a boss in game terms.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I totally get that they are supposed to be like bosses that you duel. I just don't think it fits when the idea is the person who gets the stamp is the one who wins the main board. I think it would fit better into the story thats being presented if the Duel Board character was also in the main board part.

But anyway. Neither Calli nor I knew about the Duel Boards or what they were really. So of course we go into this without reading the rules. ENJOY!

Story Mode - Gate Guy

So we are going to be doing all of story mode. But it's going to be broken up. So next week everyone will be getting to vote since we will be putting out the multiplayer episodes.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Yeah I remembered the Story Mode being a pain in the rear end, but once you "get" the gimmick, it's quite fun.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Warmal posted:

I totally get that they are supposed to be like bosses that you duel. I just don't think it fits when the idea is the person who gets the stamp is the one who wins the main board. I think it would fit better into the story thats being presented if the Duel Board character was also in the main board part.

But anyway. Neither Calli nor I knew about the Duel Boards or what they were really. So of course we go into this without reading the rules. ENJOY!

Story Mode - Gate Guy

So we are going to be doing all of story mode. But it's going to be broken up. So next week everyone will be getting to vote since we will be putting out the multiplayer episodes.

I think the idea is that they argue that because they're the prime representative of the quality indicated by the Stamp, they deserve special treatment. This is something that's going to happen again.

In terms of my own experience with it, I don't find Wario to be a very hard opponent to play against because I think Bob-Omb is probably one of the worst ones (it's only advantage is that it can bypass your shield for a direct hit, but Wario will lose it afterwards which leaves that side of Wario unprotected). His biggest threat to you might be through the minigames since I think Wario is touted as specializing in exactly the type of minigame that appears in Duel Mode. The other characters you'll meet have more dangerous starting partners for the most part.

As for Peach's partner, Toad is alright. He has the worst offensive and defensive parameters, but is extremely cheap and stops your opponent from taking your money whenever you land on a space that they own. He's a tactical investment.

Every Duel Map also has a gimmick associated with it. Gate Guy is one of the simplest because there's two gates blocking the middle path who you'll need to pay to get access to.

Also, I agree that doing Story Mode in-between multiplayer is probably for the best. You might want to play some duel boards against each other too, just so you know what you're doing.

It's also probably a good idea to get to know the partners you can get because some are of course better than the others.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
So I think this game was hot off the heels of Paper Mario, given the general aesthetic of the game and the basic RPG-ish nature of the duel boards. It's a cool mode, nonetheless.
You should totally look over the partner info in-game. It tells you all the little tricks each partner has.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

When I went with Duel Mode, I'd generally favorize getting the Goomba and Boo over the other partners; Goomba for being a generally cheap partner with good offense, and Boo because gently caress your partner killing my Boo here's the damage you gave me back!

(So I always picked Luigi because he starts with Goomba.)

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I will say that we have recorded half of the game before we've started posting this. Does this mean we got better? I think the other games can answer that question.

MR. J posted:

So I think this game was hot off the heels of Paper Mario, given the general aesthetic of the game and the basic RPG-ish nature of the duel boards. It's a cool mode, nonetheless.

There was a Mario Party that used the stars from Paper Mario and I thought that that was this one simply because of the paper marioesque aesthetic.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I do like that you're enjoying the duel map.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

The duel map is actually a lot of fun. I think it might be the best part of the story mode. One nice thing about them is if you fail, it didn't take 45 minutes to get there.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Duel Mode I think is one of the legit best modes in Mario Party you never knew you wanted.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Please disregard us talking about the order of uploading, it took a while to figure out how we were going to schedule this. But since we are now on multiplayer, it's time to vote! Who's going to win? Calli, Michael, The Normal, or the Hard Computer?

Multiplayer - Chilly Waters Part 1

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Peach Daisy's got it!

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

I'm just going to go with whoever has the most coins at the end of 10 turns for the Mario Party 3 voting (and spoil tag it for anybody who hasn't watched yet).

So this time around I'll go with -----Calli----- to win.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Calli

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Hi I'm Daisy!

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Daisy, Daisy, Give me your answer do.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Sorry Warmal, but you lost my vote when you didn't choose to play as Waluigi

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
Hi, I'm voting Daisy!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Despite being heavily based in random fuckery, Mario Party 3 can still serve up some hubris now and then.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

It's all Yoshi!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I'm going with Calli again, she's got the momentum, the confidence, and the swagger of a champion.

Personally, I don't want a Waluigi game. No, what I want is a game where Wario and Waluigi go around pulling pranks on people, sort of like an anti-Mario & Luigi RPG. I will pay all the money for that game.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

Kilza posted:

I'm just going to go with whoever has the most coins at the end of 10 turns for the Mario Party 3 voting (and spoil tag it for anybody who hasn't watched yet).

Dangerous thinking given Game Guy's existence.

I must vote for Waluigi every time he's present.

Callifornia2
Oct 16, 2014

get that OUT of my face posted:

I'm going with Calli again, she's got the momentum, the confidence, and the swagger of a champion.

I didn't know my body contained any swagger. I will try not to let you down with this statement.

nonrev
Jul 15, 2012

Putting the vote in for Daisy

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I can see after Calli's previous win streak it's going to be hard for me to pull in the votes.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Sorry Michael but I'm jumping ship and voting Calli.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
To bring in a meme from a different Mario Party LP, I'm voting for the devil power of Daisy

RydogZeta
Feb 14, 2016
Daisy will pull off the win.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

We conclude our time in this frozen waste land. I didn't think we would make it to this point and I would say, "Mario Party 3 is the best Mario Party so far." And yet here I am, saying just that. Difficult Story Mode aside, it's a pretty solid one that's a lot of fun to play with someone else.

Multiplayer - Chilly Waters 2

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

video, around 17 minutes in posted:

Michael: As we can tell from Horror Land, as soon as Calli is a little bit ahead, everyone votes there
Calli: Why?
Michael: Cause no one's voted for me
Calli: Really?
Michael: No one

Kilza posted:

(for Horror Land voting)
Michael, Michael, he's our man! If he can't do it, no one can!

:negative:

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I'm so sorry Kilza. We recorded that before your vote came in for sure.

Callifornia2
Oct 16, 2014

I thought I was the heart breaker until Kilza came along with this statement. Bad Michael.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

oldskool posted:

It's all Yoshi!

:colbert: I believed in you

• Locked thread