Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
"I don't know how to play this game!" / [dominates everyone]

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

You mention Mario Kart is a bigger catalyst for the breakdown for friendships and I can totally see that. If you gang up on a computer, it becomes a team thing. There is no such thing for that when you throw a Blue Shell.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

It's especially bad for us. We're both rather decent at Mario Kart. So it's a toss up on which of us will win. It get's pretty heated pretty quickly.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Tres cute. But you know what's cuter?

Backstabbing.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Welp. I suppose we'll have to see how long we can hold off that urge to screw each other over. It's definitely a lot easier in the first game. There are no items, so aside from Boo there isn't really a way to target each other. And thus far, it's been more beneficial to target the computers because the hard computers in the first game are actually rather competent. My prediction is that slowly through 2-8 we'll be taking jabs at each other more and more. And then 9-10 will basically just be random due to the nature of those games.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Double posting because I had a pretty relevant short twitter conversation last night.

This is pretty accurate to this series.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Would anyone be interested if we upped these uodates to once a week? My thought process was that itd get repetetive and boring if people tried to watch mario party weekly. But if you dont think itd get burnt out we'll update it more often.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I'd enjoy that. Worst case I'd have a backlog to watch, and watching a lot of mario party at once can be quite fun.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I'm all for increasing the amount of updates. Just don't wear yourselves out.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Well. If I increase to one update a week, from what I have recorded we should be good for 11 weeks.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

And it increases the odds of finishing the LP before 2020.

SplitScreenGamer
Feb 16, 2017

Bringing back the fun of local multiplayer gaming!
Love this. Too many hours of my life have been spent yelling at close friends for stealing my f-ing stars!

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

My Mario Party experience was largely cooperative. Initially we'd steal from each other and poo poo but over time we'd just compete in mini-games but otherwise conspire to screw the AI whenever possible.

Callifornia2
Oct 16, 2014

Bruceski posted:

And it increases the odds of finishing the LP before 2020.

Yeah. We didn't do the math of how long this would take until you brought that up so good thing we will know divide the time in half with having a weekly update instead of a bi weekly update....perhaps we should update twice a week eventually but we will see. Lets just start with once a week for now.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

What do you mean we should have started with this board first? If that's the case it should have started on this board!

Mario's Rainbow Castle - Part 1

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

In Ghost Guess, you pick out which Boo is leading the movements, not which one is doing something differently. It's a weird game, since you have a lot to keep track of and you can also look at the shadows for guidance.

The minecart minigame is the worst. The camera actively screws you over on one turn so that it's hard to tell which direction you have to lean in to not fall. I've lost too many times to count on that one part.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

That is 100% what I meant by one of them being different. If I'm remembering correctly the leader goes first and then all of the others follow, and the first time most of them are in sync and then it slowly goes out of sync. So you're best bet is to catch it right away.

Honestly? gently caress the mine cart mini game in both Mario Party 1 and 2. As you said, the track is rigged and the computers are mostly near impossible to defeat if there is at least 1 hard.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I'd also like to take this time to add in something new. I'd like to know who everyone thinks is going to win!

I'll add this to the part 1 posts from here on. But basically, from the 10 turns you've seen, who do you think is on the path to winning? You don't need to, but I would also like to see your reasoning. Maybe you see someone using a lot of coins pretty soon, or someone is just too far in the lead to really fall behind without shenanigans. Basically. The ones who get it right will be added to the OP with a nice star beside their name every time they're right. Maybe we'll incorporate this a little more later.

Who Do You Think Will Win!!!!!???!!!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Good lord the amount of Bowser spite on this board is ridiculous. I suppose it's all going to come down to coin stars, in the end.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Luigi, because if he starts losing he's going to do his best to gently caress you all over.

Such is Luigi's Way.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

RickVoid posted:

Luigi, because if he starts losing he's going to do his best to gently caress you all over.

Such is Luigi's Way.
So he'll do nothing.

My money's on Yoshi for this map. He and Peach will team up to keep the computers at bay, but he'll win this time, though it will close due to end-of-game stars.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I'm thinking Peach will win again. I'm going to also make a prediction that unless Calli switches out for a different character Peach will continue winning most of the games.

Sathzur
Nov 19, 2009

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

I'm thinking Peach will win again. I'm going to also make a prediction that unless Calli switches out for a different character Peach will continue winning most of the games.

I'm sure Calli said as soon as Daisy became available she'd switch to her.

Callifornia2
Oct 16, 2014

Sathzur posted:

I'm sure Calli said as soon as Daisy became available she'd switch to her.

Yes i did! I love Daisy but she isn't in the games till Mario Party 3 I believe? So I'll be playing as Peach until Dasiy becomes available.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I'm certain I'll be changing characters too. I just don't know when and where quite yet. I'll probably stick to playing as the character I played as most during my time with each game.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Warmal posted:

I'm certain I'll be changing characters too. I just don't know when and where quite yet. I'll probably stick to playing as the character I played as most during my time with each game.

You don't have to be coy, it's Waluigi.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Now that you mention it. I have some fond memories as Waluigi in Mario Party 4. May need to break him out for that one.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

And here comes the end of Mario's board. I think it's meant to be an easy tutorial like stage, but the switching between Toad and Bowser kind of makes it a crazy stressful board. You're racing to the end, but then suddenly you're hoping to move as slow as possible as you see death on the horizon.

Mario's Rainbow Castle - Part 2

Those that guessed right will now have a star beside their name in the OP! To those that didn't, thanks for guessing and I hope you get it right next time.

Sillyman
Jul 21, 2008
Are you going to bother with the extended single player modes in 1-3? Especially 3's story mode, since playing every minigame in Mario Party 1 and 2 in a row isn't that special.

Edit: Oh, you are in fact doing the Mini Game Island at least. Though "they never brought this back" is a lie, since 2 has the Mini Game Coaster.

Sillyman fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 1, 2017

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Calli swearing in frustration is a great reminder of what Mario Party is all about.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Ah, just what we were all hoping for!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
So that's the first thrown controller, correct?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Aw, Calli had so much confidence in the first part that evaporated in this video. :(

In this Mario Party, you have all the minigames available to you from the start, except for three that you have to unlock (and they won't appear in a given board). You do have to pay to unlock them in the minigame house.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Chance Time is some next level bullshit

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I like the background in the Bowser Face Lift game a lot. Dunno if anyone has pointed that out yet.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk
Just started watching, so gotta have a bit to catch up with. You're totally right though, Mario Party 2 is the best mario party.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
This just kind of reminds me how amazing Kart 64's Rainbow Road was, and how much chintzier it was in just Mario 64. I guess it's what the engine could take.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Rarity posted:

Chance Time is some next level bullshit
On the one hand, hearing how they took Chance Time away in future installments makes me sad, because that's a major part of the chaotic fun of Mario Party. On the other hand, it's complete bullshit and is responsible for many broken controls and more than a few ruined friendships.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

64bitrobot posted:

Just started watching, so gotta have a bit to catch up with. You're totally right though, Mario Party 2 is the best mario party.

I bought it last weekend on Eshop.

gently caress the hard CPU and gently caress hidden blocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
I feel a little bad for guessing correctly.

But not that bad.

Chance Time was the best part of Mario Party and it's a goddamned shame they took it out of later installments. The cowards.

• Locked thread