Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

As bullshit as chance time is. It's still a vital part of the original games. I like that it's both a test of skill and luck. You have to plan out which blocks to hit in what order. And usually the first block you can guarantee what you get. Usually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mischievousart
Apr 24, 2016
This is such a feel-good LP. Every episode puts a smile on my face.

I'm looking forward to when you get a chance to do Bowser's Big Blast. That one was always my favorite as a kid.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

We will eventually get there! I'm glad you're enjoying it so much. So fun little thing here. We've now moved on to the next board, Peach's Birthday Cake, and coincidentally today is actually Calli's birthday. I did not plan this at all.

Peach's Birthday Cake Part 1

Also! You know the drill. We've got ten turns, so you've got half a board now to take a stab at who's going to win.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Ooh! Are we messing with Adora?

10 coins on Mario.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Yoshi looks dominant, so I'll pick him. And interruptions making both of you lose your trains of thought is what my parents do all the time. They're much older than you two, so it results in some derailed trains, so to speak.

The thing about the Switch is that it's good for people like Calli or me, who will buy Nintendo stuff because it appeals to us. But we're a niche audience. Other people would rather play AAA games on PS4 or Xbox One, while still others would rather play PC games and have a backed-up Steam library. I was listening to a podcast and someone said something that got me thinking: it's best if third-party stuff actually succeeds on the Switch. I'm sure a lot of people would love to play stuff like FIFA or Madden on the go, and if they're not scaled down too much, then they've got a whole new audience. If they're clunky failures, then it gets much harder for them to make inroads. Combining portable and home consoles into one is a pretty big risk. For what it's worth, I hear that Breath of the Wild is a great game, a shot in the arm that the series has needed for a while. I've heard comparisons to Skyrim (due to its expansive in-game world) and Fallout (due to in-game scarcity).

There's also some kind of negative exceptionalism that a fair chunk of people have towards Nintendo that gets me. One thing that was touched upon in an episode of a different LP: you're not hearing how VR is a stupid PlayStation gimmick, but if Nintendo pioneered it, you'd absolutely be hearing the g-word being thrown around. No system really comes out with a big library of games on first release, but somehow that's stated as a problem for Nintendo. And now people are whining that they're charging for online content in their games, which Sony has done since PS3 and Microsoft has been doing since they entered the console market. I guess it's that their problems aren't the problems facing other game makers, and that's bad. Or something.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Everything you just said is my thoughts exactly. IF Nintendo does anything the other companies have been doing then suddenly they are doing the worst thing ever? It's a complete double standard that is absolutely horrendous. Every company has been doing gimmicky things since the mid 2000's. Sony made that Playstation Eye, Microsoft did the Kinect. It's an extremely gross thing going on in the market right now.
For what it's worth. We've had little success from peeling ourselves away from the Switch. I'm really excited for the upcoming titles, but am happy with the 3 titles I have right now that I wanted/could afford.
Calli says you get her and should be friends.

Senerio posted:

10 coins on Mario.

That's fair.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

lotta wrong opinions on pie in this video

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

10 coins on Yoshi, because Yoshi is the best at these games for some reason.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Sony didn't market the Eye as some sort of future of their console. Hell, I didn't even know about it until your post. On the other hand, Microsoft pushed Kinect pretty hard and got plenty of mockery for it. One thing out of many that people didn't like about the Xbox One launch was that Kinect was already installed on the system and you couldn't turn it off or detach it. Not only was that a "this is ruining their games" thing, there were privacy concerns over it keeping track of your every move. They wisely made it optional after that.

Some gamers just don't like change, really.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

They want innovation without actually changing anything.

oldskool posted:

10 coins on Yoshi, because Yoshi is the best at these games for some reason.

Yay! Thank you, kindly.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

10 coins on Calli/Peach pulling off an upset through Bonus Stars.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

get that OUT of my face posted:

Yoshi looks dominant, so I'll pick him. And interruptions making both of you lose your trains of thought is what my parents do all the time. They're much older than you two, so it results in some derailed trains, so to speak.

The thing about the Switch is that it's good for people like Calli or me, who will buy Nintendo stuff because it appeals to us. But we're a niche audience. Other people would rather play AAA games on PS4 or Xbox One, while still others would rather play PC games and have a backed-up Steam library. I was listening to a podcast and someone said something that got me thinking: it's best if third-party stuff actually succeeds on the Switch. I'm sure a lot of people would love to play stuff like FIFA or Madden on the go, and if they're not scaled down too much, then they've got a whole new audience. If they're clunky failures, then it gets much harder for them to make inroads. Combining portable and home consoles into one is a pretty big risk. For what it's worth, I hear that Breath of the Wild is a great game, a shot in the arm that the series has needed for a while. I've heard comparisons to Skyrim (due to its expansive in-game world) and Fallout (due to in-game scarcity).

There's also some kind of negative exceptionalism that a fair chunk of people have towards Nintendo that gets me. One thing that was touched upon in an episode of a different LP: you're not hearing how VR is a stupid PlayStation gimmick, but if Nintendo pioneered it, you'd absolutely be hearing the g-word being thrown around. No system really comes out with a big library of games on first release, but somehow that's stated as a problem for Nintendo. And now people are whining that they're charging for online content in their games, which Sony has done since PS3 and Microsoft has been doing since they entered the console market. I guess it's that their problems aren't the problems facing other game makers, and that's bad. Or something.

Remember when Nintendo announced a pretty standard, if not subdued, DLC plan for BotW and the internet lost its poo poo? Every other AAA game has 10 separate exclusive pre-order bonuses, a season pass, multiple Day 1 DLC items, cosmetic DLC and microtransactions and that's all well and expected.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
You really should get random friends in to play with ya'll! It'll be soooo much better having 3-4 people all yelling at one another :allears:

e: haha you guys sound like some friends of mine (though a bit more on california's part with the phrases she uses and the tone of her voice than warhal's). It was a bit of a mindfuck, since I know they don't have an account here

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Mar 10, 2017

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

We had thought about bringing in other people to join us, but the problem with that was first of all finding friends that would play. And secondly, trying to schedule recording enough and often enough to keep a steady stream of updates. Unfortunately it didn't pan out. *whispers: we have a friend*

Ometeotl posted:

Remember when Nintendo announced a pretty standard, if not subdued, DLC plan for BotW and the internet lost its poo poo? Every other AAA game has 10 separate exclusive pre-order bonuses, a season pass, multiple Day 1 DLC items, cosmetic DLC and microtransactions and that's all well and expected.

Exactly this.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Ometeotl posted:

No I didn't know this. Man, people are idiots.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

biosterous posted:

lotta wrong opinions on pie in this video

seriously. give me a good pumpkin pie over a bland white cake any time

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I do like pie. Just not pecan or pumpkin pie. But something about cake to me is more nastalgic and homey. I don't like bland cake though.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Lemon poppy pound cake >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> everything else

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Warmal posted:

As bullshit as chance time is. It's still a vital part of the original games. I like that it's both a test of skill and luck. You have to plan out which blocks to hit in what order. And usually the first block you can guarantee what you get. Usually.

Chance Time is when Mario Party gets real and should never have been removed. You can absolutely clown your friends with an obscene lead from Turns 1-20, but the moment those reels start spinning all bets are off and there is a very real chance two players about to watch a third strangle the fourth with their controller cord.

get that OUT of my face posted:

On the one hand, hearing how they took Chance Time away in future installments makes me sad, because that's a major part of the chaotic fun of Mario Party. On the other hand, it's complete bullshit and is responsible for many broken controls and more than a few ruined friendships.

Mario Party is not meant to be fair in the slightest. At its core is a game of chance between four people rather than against the house, so no matter who loses someone else has succeeded. And possibly tested the limits of a relationship of some kind with another player, platonic or otherwise.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, gonna be a lot of star stealing going on.

I like how interactive all these boards are, even in the first installment.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

The lack of interactive boards may be a big part of why Some later Mario Party's aren't quite as good.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Time to find out who was right and who was wrong. We finish up the birthday cake in Calli's Birthday month!

Peach's Birthday Cake Part 2

The OP will be updated with people's guesses.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I saw a picture of Gaston from the live-action Beauty and the Beast. He's not even close to the necessary levels of buff.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I seem to recall that the Mario Bro. games from Wii onwards are perfect friendship-destroying games.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I think the way it works is that you have to randomly "find" minigames in the roulette when it chooses which to play and buying them only unlocks that game for the minigame freeplay mode.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I'm now very confused as to whether you have a son, a dog or both.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Samovar posted:

I seem to recall that the Mario Bro. games from Wii onwards are perfect friendship-destroying games.

This is absolutely true for all of them except Mario 3D World. That one is actually more fun with more people. But I suppose that isn't technically a Mario Bros. game.

Also. I absolutely forgot how the minigame house worked in this one. I don't think any other Mario Party does the minigames in this fashion. And it's kind of weird if you think about it. I suppose they wanted something for you to spend your coins on.

Callifornia2
Oct 16, 2014

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I'm now very confused as to whether you have a son, a dog or both.

Both. Technically both is the answer.

Teddy is our small little puppy, he is three years old, and we consider him our son since we don't have any human children.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Here is our son. Wearing part of his first halloween costume.

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011
I enjoy the interaction between you and your wife, you make what I consider the most boring of the Mario Party games to be actually watchable.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Warmal posted:

Here is our son. Wearing part of his first halloween costume.

In the recent Purim (sort of a Jewish Halloween, at least in the aspect of people going in costume) I saw someone walking a dog, and the dog was dressed like an alligator. I wish I had thought to take a picture.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I would have loved to see that. As long as the dogs are comfortable, I love seeing them in costumes. Teddy did not like his last costume as much as it covered his head a bit. So we had to have the hood back.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I know this is jumping ahead a bit in the series, but i think it's interesting that the director for the new Mario Party games has said in interviews that the change in gameplay from a more traditional board game to what it is now because every time he has personally played the old Mario Parties and sombody was falling behind or not having fun because they aren't winning minigames or whatever they would stop paying attention to the game until it was their turn to go. Therefore the best option to fix this is to have everybody move as one group in the car so that theoretically everybody is always paying attention because each the actions of one person can influence everybody.

i can kind of agree with this philosophy. The newer games definitely take less time to play so there's much less downtime of watching the animations of people going around the board and buying items and what not. Not to mention that sometimes the game can just be downright mean even without player intervention, and if you aren't skilled enough to win at least a few of the minigames you're kind of hosed because you aren't getting money which you need to do anything. Which means more time not really caring what's going on because you know it's going to take a miracle for you to win. Unless maybe you are playing one of the longer turn limit games but why in god's name would you do that? :psyduck:

But i can tell you from personal experience that the newer games, more so than the older ones, have problems with people mentally checking out of the game. Maybe this is because the group of friends i have prefer the older games to the newer ones as well, but when somebody is really,really far ahead in ministars there's not much to be done directly since the new games no longer let the players gently caress with one another (no directly stealing anything outside of using your dice block to land on event spaces which may or not help you in that regard).

As to old school Mario Party opinions, 3 is the best. It has kinda crap board design but the minigames are the most fun and most varied and have almost no repeats from 2.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

As to old school Mario Party opinions, 3 is the best. It has kinda crap board design but the minigames are the most fun and most varied and have almost no repeats from 2.

I haven't played 3 in years, but I'm quite partial to 5's special brand of dickery with the Capsules. Once those start getting placed as Spaces on the board, it's anyone's guess as to whether that particular blue coin space is going to be benevolent or the Piranha Plant someone placed four turns ago eating half your coins.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
3 is bad because Game Guy is bad.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I do like the idea of trying to change things up to keep all the players engaged. But at the end of a game of Mario Party 9 and 10, I just feel like I haven't really played the game. We also find that the computers are just way more difficult in those ones. 10 is at least better than 9 is. But I still just want to feel like I played the game. Not a quarter of the game. I have very little memory of 3, so we'll get there when we get there. I do remember not liking the whole aesthetic as much.

Time for an Update!

Yoshi's Tropical Island Part 1

Since we now have ten turns of gameplay, it's time for everyone to take your guess on who is going to win. Last board a lot of people got it right. Will everyone do as good this week? Also I blatantly lie in the beginning of this one. This board is in fact not my least played, I just actually forgot about my truly least played.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Going out on a limb and guessing DK.

Sillyman
Jul 21, 2008

PhazonLink posted:

3 is bad because Game Guy is bad.

Counterpoint: 3 is good because Duel Mode is good.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
So... What was in the empanadas? :v:

Seriously, I've been in the mood for an empanada for ages now, I don't know anywhere nearby to get one that might actually be good (or at least good enough for me).

Anyway, gonna guess that Yoshi wins, because it's his board! Makes as much sense as anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Ooh! Are we messing with Adora?

I'm gonna guess Peach because anything can happen in mario party. 7 coins.

• Locked thread