Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk
I forgot this level even existed because it was so bad. Also I pretty much exclusively played two, I think.

Going to have to say DK, I think due to the random nature of this level and the sheer level of AI cheat, the hard ai will pull ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

DK. Based solely on minigame performance.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Is that an actual thing? I know AI was changed per character a bit for Mario Party 2. But I haven't heard anything like that for the first one.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

From 2 onwards characters had certain items they would buy or try to get over all others. I don't believe 1 has anything like that since the game is so simple. The AI is always a cheating rear end in a top hat that targets the player over all others.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Peach was always the biggest pain to fight though. It's why I usually picked her so that nobody had to play against her.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

That's fair. And AI is always cheating. But I've never seen AI cheat as much as it did in Mario Party 9. We'll get there when we get there though.

I'd like to know everyone's thoughts on Wario's Battle Canyon. I think it's clear we don't enjoy it too much. But maybe that's just us.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Aesthetically it looks awesome, i love the toy box/display war thing they have going on but the cannons are very annoying since you have no choice but to get launched if you walk past the bomb. I don't know if maybe they did playtesting and found that people didn't use the cannon enough if they weren't forced to or something i think maybe if they let it be the players choice to be launched or not and have it cost 5 coins it would be a bit better if maybe a bit slower.

Although i had forgotten about the "Bowser Island" in the middle of the map there, i like how they did this kind of gimmick better in Waluigi Island in Mario Part 3 though.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

If I wasn't forced to go from island to island. I'd be able to stay on one and just wait for the star to come by. Even if this was what they didn't want, it'd at least mean that I had paid attention enough to notice the star going in a set pattern.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wow. This level is like, ten coinflips in a row and they all have to land for you to get the star. That's just cruel.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Glazius posted:

Wow. This level is like, ten coinflips in a row and they all have to land for you to get the star. That's just cruel.

Wait til you get to Mario Party 4, the entire game is designed like that due to the over-reliance on Mini/Mega Mushrooms. Most of the boards will gently caress you over, or lock out everything interesting about it, because you don't have a Mini or Mega Mushroom on-hand. Some will just plain lock you into a corner of the map because of this until you get one, or land on the exact right space to escape.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wait til you get to Mario Party 4, the entire game is designed like that due to the over-reliance on Mini/Mega Mushrooms. Most of the boards will gently caress you over, or lock out everything interesting about it, because you don't have a Mini or Mega Mushroom on-hand. Some will just plain lock you into a corner of the map because of this until you get one, or land on the exact right space to escape.

This sounds horrible.

On the topic of the map, I don't actually remember it, but I think this is due to me not playing as much mario party the original as I did two. Two had great maps.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Yoshi's Tropical Island and Wario's Battle Canyon are my two least-favorite boards in MP1, but at least Yoshi's board allows the characters to screw over each other via the Thwomp toll. Wario's board will screw you over with no rhyme or reason. You're just as well off looking away at the screen when the cannon launches you instead of looking at it.

There's a way to do this kind of board correctly. In fact, you can see it in the very next Mario Party game.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Yeah, this board looks just mean.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah, on top of that, both mushrooms could screw you over even if you used them in the correct way.

IIRC, Mega mushrooms made you roll 3 dice and you passed over board events (meaning you could walk right by the star if you rolled to high) and with mini you could only roll 1-3 or something like that? So hopefully you landed right in front of where you needed to be tiny at or you were screwed.

5 makes up for it with the capsules though, lots of oppertunity to screw other players with the effects some of those had.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Even with the difficulty that is mini and mega mushrooms, I really enjoy the boards, minigames, and aesthetic that Mario Party 4 holds. Unfortunately, we're not playing that right now. We're playing Wario's Battle Canyon. Which doesn't get any better.

UPDATE
Wario's Battle Canyon Part 2

And the standings for this week's guesses
Senario -
Zanzibar Ham -
Circlmastr -
Bruceski -
get that OUT of my face -
64bitrobot -
Technowolf -
Frozentreasure -
WordOn TheWind -
Shywulf -

Thanks to everyone who took a guess. Turns out, it's harder to figure out Mario Party than we thought.

Warmal fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Apr 13, 2017

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Poor DK :( At least he has his bananas.

At least the next board won't be as bad, whatever it'll be.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

So I discovered the audio is desynced so I'll need to fix that tonight after work.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Alright. I fixed the video to the best of my capabilities. Everyone is free to enjoy!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Speaking of making money off the internet from eating things, this was one of my recommended videos while watching this episode. Yes, I watch this channel regularly.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, what a finish. Is it possible to get two stars on the same turn or do they always spawn that far apart?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

It's possible but usually not likely since the spawn points on most of the maps are more than 10 spaces away from each other.

Definitely possible with Luigi's Engine Room as the next map coming up.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I just started watching this LP and I'm amazed how nice and civil you are in the first few episodes. I hope it'll devolve into snarling and hissing at the end

(no, I don't, stay happy)

Callifornia2
Oct 16, 2014

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I just started watching this LP and I'm amazed how nice and civil you are in the first few episodes. I hope it'll devolve into snarling and hissing at the end

(no, I don't, stay happy)

Like I've stated I think because I never played the first three growing up that I don't feel as compelled to try and kick Michael's butt at them. Once we get to Mario Party 4 I'm thinking my attitude will change since this is the first Mario Party I grew up with.
Oh and thank you for watching. =)

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Glazius posted:

Man, what a finish. Is it possible to get two stars on the same turn or do they always spawn that far apart?

Later entries in the series definitely made it more possible for this to happen. Only the last couple of installments made it even more difficult than now though.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

So we have a bit of a different thing this week. It's our first bonus board. As such, it's only going to be one video. But that doesn't mean you don't get a vote. The bonus videos that have computer players will always have them set to "Normal." So, without seeing the first ten turns.

WHO WILL WIN THE BONUS BOARD?
Take your guess between:
Michael / Yoshi
Calli / Peach
Computer / Mario - Luigi

You only need to guess computer, not which computer, as they are the same difficulty they will be one entity in this.
Guessing right doesn't net you a star, but it will add something beside your name in the OP.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I'm gonna keep up on the Peach line until it pays off.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Peach, Calli is more devious than we give her credit for.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Michael because reasons.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Rolled a virtual die of 1-3 and got 1, so voting Yoshi!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Peachy's got it

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Peach

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Yoshi

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Yoshi hasn't led me wrong.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Gonna go with Peach, it's time for Calli to reveal that she's a dark horse in minigames.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
I'm so glad this thread is still going strong. :allears: There's going to be some fun times on the bonus boards, if I remember them correctly.

In the meantime, I found something relevant to this thread. An interesting take on the Yoshi's Tropical Island music. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4Al6jQXa_4

Callifornia2
Oct 16, 2014

Everyone's faith in me is beautiful. I will try and do you all proud!

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk
Gonna place my bet on Yoshi

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

And now we descend into a pot(?) in order to reach the MINI GAME STADIUM. A really cool special board for those who don't feel like playing mini games for no reason, but also don't feel like playing a full game of Mario Party. I have fond memories of watching my character slowly rise up on the pile of coins. It's a nice little thing they added in. It wasn't really necessary to put this but they did and it's fun.

Also. Preface. We've had complaints in another thread about us talking too much about ourselves, so if you're really against that, I suggest skipping this video. If you're fine with that though enjoy!

Mini Game Stadium

And now the winners!
Senerio -
Jack-Off Lantern -
CirclMastr -
Zanzibar Ham -
get that OUT of my face -
Bruceski -
Technowolf -
oldskool -
berenzen -
64bitrobot -
frozentreasure -
Shywulf -
WordOnTheWind -
MGN001 -

One day I will go size these stars and coins correctly. But it is not today!

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Warmal posted:

We've had complaints in another thread about us talking too much about ourselves
I'm sure whoever complained can find a commentary-less Mario Party video if they're so offended by hearing about other people's lives. :jerkbag: You two have good chemistry and personality (you'd hope a married couple would); I'd say don't change a thing.

Yapping Eevee fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Apr 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

It wasn't for Mario Party. It was a different game with A LOT of down time while fighting.

• Locked thread