Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I saw that one. It was doubly weird because there is/was another LP on-going of the game and I think it was more informative, so it's not like they were "missing out" as it were.

As for the all-important Mario Party game results, I'm glad I decided to trust in the heart of the dice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I dont want to derail the thread on it. This is literally just how we are when we play video games. And it seems to be something people enjoy. We'rr informative when need be, otherwise we're a regular married couple. Putting a mic in front of us while playing games is one of the easiest transitions we had.

But anyway. Whats everyones take on the Mini Game Stadium? I find it weird that its in a pot, but id really like to see something more like this brought back in the series.

Warmal fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Apr 20, 2017

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Be yourselves during this LP! That's good advice for anyone who wants to make one, really.

I used to play Mini-Game Stadium a lot, and at once point I liked it more than the proper boards in the pipe.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk
Mini game stadium looks like a great way to get coins to get all the items, but I actually had forgotten it ever existed! I never played one as much as I did two.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Most of my early memories of playing MP1 are from the Minigame Stadium exactly for the pile of coins your guys stand on, plus you coulden't get lost in it which made it probably the best for my little kid self :v:. I lost a lot of games at first because i didn't know what "rotate" meant, so i would hit every button as fast i could but it never occured to me to spin the stick in a circle until a smart friend i was playing with told me what that word was.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, now that I've seen some of the bullshit out on the stage boards, I wonder if MiniGame Stadium wasn't a bit of a mistake. Just because it's, like, 75% of what you play Mario Party for with like none of the frustration factor.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I would say maybe the Minigame Stadium was a practice board for them, but they did make the Sonic party game before hand. Maybe it was a new designer who didnt know thry were supposed to make it as frustrating as possible.

get that OUT of my face posted:

Be yourselves during this LP! That's good advice for anyone who wants to make one, really.

Thats the plan!

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Calli, we believed in you. Now I don't have a coin next to my username.

You need to take more drastic measures.

Michael needs to be sabotaged more.

Callifornia2
Oct 16, 2014

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Calli, we believed in you. Now I don't have a coin next to my username.

You need to take more drastic measures.

Michael needs to be sabotaged more.

I'm sorry. I have let you down! I shall add more sas into our next session and will bring victory to us all.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

The next session will bring out the boards i truly played the least so we'll see how that goes.

Warmal fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 22, 2017

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Update!
And here we go with the next board. We'll be finishing up the newly wed game, as well as finishing up our first recording session all together. Now that I've played through this board, I actually enjoy it a lot more than I did when I was a kid. I see why my younger self had gotten frustrated with it. But in hindsight, it isn't all that bad. Nothing like Wario's stage anyway.

Luigi's Engine Room Part 1

This also means it is now time to GUESS WHO WILL WIN!!!!

Will it be the lovable Michael/Yoshi, the beautiful Calli/Peach, the cunning Hard Computer Mario, or the ruler of the previous board Wario? You have until Tuesday night to get your votes in.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I'm voting Calli again.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Michael.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Ooh! Are we messing with Adora?

Sticking with Peach until I get a win.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Luigi is the Mushroom Kingdom's underdog, so it stands to reason that the underdog will win this map! As Peach has the least coins at the end of the video, she'll inevitably win.

As everybody knows, stars don't count until bonus stars have been given out.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I hate to pick against either of you, but with even Easy Wario making cunning plays like changing the walls to block you from the star, I think Mario and his surplus of funds will buy his way to victory this time.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Mario, because just because of the coin star.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I think Mario wins this one, he's in good position for bonus stars.

Luigi's Engine Room is a good board. One of the star placements is ridiculous, but otherwise it was a workable gimmick, the Boo at the end keeps things close, and it has awesome music.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mario

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Luigi's Engine Room is probably my second favorite board from the Mario Party 1 era.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, looks like the last map all over again. No stars, giant stockpiles of coins.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

But at least the gimmick this time isn't incredibly frustrating. I like that the board forces you past the boo every time. I don't think any other board really makes you see Boo no matter what. So it's interesting how the later half will play out with the large amount of coins.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Last night to get votes in. Even if you haven't seen the video yet just give a shot at who you think will win!

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Throwing a vote at Mario, why not.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Peach because a broken clock is at least right twice a day.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Waluigi. He needs this one.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

UPDATE TIME

Thank you all for getting your votes in. I don't want to sound discouraging, but I'm not sure you got it this time, White Coke. But against all mechanical odds, we have survived the engine room. Interesting that the Mario Brothers are on opposite sides of the board list. Also, this marks the end of our first recording session, so next time should be a little treat for everyone. It was for me.

Luigi's Engine Room Part 2

Also Who Got a Star?
Jack-Off Lantern -
Circlmastr -
Senario -
Zanzibar Ham -
oldskool -
Technowolf -
get that OUT of my face -
Bruceski -
RickVoid -
berenzen -
White Coke -
Fefnir -
frozentreasure -
WordOnTheWind -
Shywulf -

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So what's the next thing you're looking forward to, in terms of the grand sweep of Mario Party?

Callifornia2
Oct 16, 2014

Personally, I'm looking forward to if they will ever get rid of that stupid car mechanic, otherwise I have no expectations. I've come to realize that the new mario party games will never meet the same level of excitement for me as they did when I was a kid. Mario Party 4 was the perfect game for me and I don't think they can recapture that feeling again for me. Not saying I don't enjoy the new games, it's just not quite how it used to be for me as a kid.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

After hearing how your relationship works, Calli will one day say "I want to have a baby" and it'll happen, as her word is law.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

It's funny that you say that.

Glazius posted:

So what's the next thing you're looking forward to, in terms of the grand sweep of Mario Party?

Personally, I hope they get rid of the car mechanic. I think there are better ways to keep every player engaged, rather than having everyone only play a quarter of the game. Wii Party U proves that there as still people at Nintendo that can make fun minigames. And since I imagine the next title will be out on the Switch, 1, 2, Switch shows that the Joycons can make for interesting controllers in that regard as well. We had a lot of fun with it. I would like them to go back to an actual board game like design, as that's what Mario Party is to me. With interesting bonus boards as well. It's a series that works well on the system they developed, and it wasn't until they started trying to do some drastic changes around Mario Party 7 that I think I started losing interest. If they do have to take the series in a different direction again, it at least still needs to feel like Mario Party, because right now, MP 9 and 10 don't feel like Mario Party.

Callifornia2
Oct 16, 2014

After hearing how your relationship works, Calli will one day say "I want to have a baby" and it'll happen, as her word is law.

Well well. Turns out you are correct. We actually decided the beginning of this year to try for a baby. So yes my word is law.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Well, enjoy parenthood, both of you!

I know that Mario Party took a lengthy break between 8 and 9 after coming up with a new installment almost every year, but I didn't know that it came back by moving everyone all at once. That's a radical departure of core gameplay if there ever was one.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

The creators stated that they made that change because the found players were not engaged when it wasn't there turn. They would stop paying attention and probably do other things. So to keep everyone engaged they put everyone in a car so that you need to pay attention to know what to do. Unfortunately, this also meant that the computers had an incredibly easy time winning as it's a computer system. RNG just doesn't seem to matter when the computer can calculate the best move even on Easy mode.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Warmal posted:

The creators stated that they made that change because the found players were not engaged when it wasn't there turn. They would stop paying attention and probably do other things. So to keep everyone engaged they put everyone in a car so that you need to pay attention to know what to do. Unfortunately, this also meant that the computers had an incredibly easy time winning as it's a computer system. RNG just doesn't seem to matter when the computer can calculate the best move even on Easy mode.

Plus it's only true for the first five or so turns. After that, people have Stars and the money to afford Boo's services or the better items and everyone is keeping their eye on what happens in case it fucks them over. By Turn 20, it's silent due to multiple seething grudges between everyone.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Warmal posted:

The solution to that problem isn't to make everyone go at the same time but to make each player's indivual turn have more impact on the turns of other players. They accomplished this through things like dueling gloves in Mario party 2 but seem to have forgotten their solution.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Or to have happening spaces that require the others paying attention. Or have board mechanics that require input from other players. There are a lot of solutions, and hopefully we don't rag on it too hard when we get there.

Callifornia2
Oct 16, 2014

Well, enjoy parenthood, both of you!

I know that Mario Party took a lengthy break between 8 and 9 after coming up with a new installment almost every year, but I didn't know that it came back by moving everyone all at once. That's a radical departure of core gameplay if there ever was one.

We will keep you guys updated probably with how parenthood goes when we get there. Most likely I'll be bitching about it in videos anyhow when it happens.

It was truly a mistake for them to put everyone in the same vehicle. It really makes it so boring to watch and makes it so linear in how you progress through the board. I'm sure Michael and I will rag about the mechanic when we get there.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

UPDATE TIME

Bowser's Magma Mountain Part 1

Things look a little different around here. Big shout out to everyone who helped me get recording from the N64 working, it saved us a lot of trouble. That said, we are starting to get to the end of this game. I slowly started to remember the Bowser board. I feel like Mario Party 2 did it better, but no one is surprised there.

GUESS WHO WILL WIN
We have 10 turns everyone, that should be more than enough to figure out who is going to win. Probably. Michael, Calli, Easy, or Hard computer? There's only three more guesses for all of Mario Party 1 so make it count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I predict Michael will win.

Also I am in the same boat with my SNES recordings, where it seems like it fits 16:9 too well but also doesn't appear to be stretched. I have given up.

• Locked thread