Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
My prediction is Peach, as usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Senerio posted:

My prediction is Peach, as usual.

I'm also sticking by that choice, even though it's not brought me luck so far.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I think this was all planned and now the Peach Hustle will unfold!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I'm going with the strongest contender, and that is Who is like God, or Mike for short.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Why fight it? Michael will get it again.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

I predict that this last turn heralds a turn around for Calli.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
Yeah, Michael's probably taking this one.

Nice job on the 99 point Bowser face, though.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
If they'd turn up the minigame rewards on this stage that might be kind of neat, actually. You're getting money all the time but it's slowly draining away.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Bowser's Magma Mountain is rear end. I'm pretty sure Bowser takes a star away from you if you pass him, since he "settled" for taking 20 coins from starless players in that video. And that "choose your path" game that leads to him or Boo is mandatory unless you take the shortcut that skips past that branch.

Again, though, great music.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

CirclMastr posted:

I predict Michael will win.

Also I am in the same boat with my SNES recordings, where it seems like it fits 16:9 too well but also doesn't appear to be stretched. I have given up.

It's stretched. It's definitely supposed to be 4:3, the easiest way to tell are the things that are supposed to be square like the dice blocks or the star/Bowser roulette block.

The SNES is an interesting case, because despite ultimately displaying at 4:3 it didn't actually have square pixels. The resolution of the SNES graphics pixel-wise is 8:7, but it would be stretched to 4:3 by the TV. Not every game takes this into account - a lot of games treat the pixels as if they were square pixels. Which makes sense, because the SNES displayed graphics mostly using 8x8 tiles. So, for example, blocks in Super Mario World are 16x16 pixels but would be stretched to be effectively 18⅔x16 pixels. What this means is that even when displayed "correctly" the SNES is usually stretched a little horizontally anyway.

I'm going to vote for Calli because she said not to.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I know it's supposed to be square, it's just weird that things don't actually look weird. If I could edit it back to 4:3 I actually would though, just to keep it more true to what it should be.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Sorry Calli, gotta vote for Michael this time.

This map is balls, ugh.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

RickVoid posted:

This map is balls, ugh.

Agreed. A map where the 'Happening' space basically makes the entire map take coins from you looks life the definition of Not Fun.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Technowolf posted:

Agreed. A map where the 'Happening' space basically makes the entire map take coins from you looks life the definition of Not Fun.

With the double nut punch of "You had to grind coins for this poo poo".

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

It's a board that is meant to streamline you to no coins, meaning you more or less get sent to Bowser. They didn't make this level to give you any favours, but I'm sure it could have been made fun.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I know the conversation about the later games is basically already over but can we all at least agree that ANY OTHER MP game is better than Star Rush on the 3DS? God that game is weird and bad.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I didn't play much of Star Rush. I don't remember really having any fun with it. I feel like even if I had a way to record from the 3DS, I would still choose not to show off that one.

Sillyman
Jul 21, 2008
I disagree entirely about Star Rush and I think it's a good game, but then again I also think 10 is better than 8. It's just... Star Rush isn't a Mario Party game, in the same way that Monopoly Deal isn't a Monopoly game. and that's probably a good thing

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Its not a bad thing for the series to branch out. But when you start losing what it means for a game to be Mario Party then it should probably be its own seperate game. Even if the franchise ends, thats alright. I didnt mind Star Rush as a game, but i dont enjoy it as a Mario Party. Its just hard to seperate the two when they share a title.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Sillyman posted:

I disagree entirely about Star Rush and I think it's a good game, but then again I also think 10 is better than 8. It's just... Star Rush isn't a Mario Party game, in the same way that Monopoly Deal isn't a Monopoly game. and that's probably a good thing

I will grant you that some of the games in Star Rush aren't bad on their own, but then they just had to pack like 6 other mediocre to bad games to go along with it.

New Mario Party on the Switch when :sigh:

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I think Mario Party would work really well on the Switch. Being able to take the game everywhere while having the power of a full console rather than a hand held? All the yes. Especially since 1,2, Switch was such a party driven game. It only makes sense to do something with it. As long as they don't do something crazy again. Going back to the car thing. To begin with, taking turns is such a non issue. I haven't seen a single person get bored during the other three very quick turns. But the solution they came up with just creates an issue. It's like playing a game of snakes and ladders, with only one piece, and the winner is just whoever ends up finishing the game.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

UPDATE TIME

So we finish off Bowser for good this time. Or do we? We're getting so close to the end of this game I can taste it. This board is very draining and probably wouldn't be so bad if it was either shorter, or less red spaces appear from the happening space.

Bowser's Magma Mountain Part 2

And below is all of our winners! In spoilers now so they don't know who the got the board right away.
CirclMastr
Samovar
get that OUT of my face
Edvarius
RickVoid
Fefnir
WordOnTheWind
Shywulf

Warmal fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 18, 2017

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Yer commentary seems a bit ahead of the video.

Edit: Also, isn't Yoshi his own horse?

Samovar fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 17, 2017

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Yeah I noticed that too.

I'm glad that, while she didn't win, Calli got into the Mario Party spirit by the end, of absolutely hating the clear winner.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Hmm. I'm not really sure why this is a recurring problem. I'll need to fix this tonight.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I was watching CirclMaster's FF6 stream and he read Calli's comment about the last recording you guys did and how you shouldn't bring it up. Dare I ask? Or will we know it when we see it?

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

get that OUT of my face posted:

I was watching CirclMaster's FF6 stream

Really? :aaaaa:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Luigi is dead. They killed him. He's just dead now.

Callifornia2
Oct 16, 2014

You will all find out when it is posted. You will know because it is obvious I lost my mind.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

The video is now fixed. Sorry about that.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

CJacobs posted:

Good thing he owns a mansion full of ghosts.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Wow Michael just threw the game there. Not stealing a star with Boo, giving up on Bumper Balls...

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

You say I threw the game but clearly I did not.

CJacobs posted:

Unless he was never truly alive to begin with.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

We are starting to come to the end of the game. Not a whole lot left to show off.

UPDATE
Mini Game Island - What We Could Do

As I say in the video. I may end up returning to finish off the Island. We definitely shouldn't have attempted so late in the night, and the minigames actually do wear you down quite a bit.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"
The N64 controller does actually make sense if you consider the design. I don't have any sources, but the basic deal with it is that it was a hedged bet. Nintendo didn't know if the whole 3D thing was actually going to work and take off, plus they wanted old style support for games that would use a D-Pad. Basically, the controller supports two modes: holding the middle for stick controls and 3D movement, and the left for using the D-Pad. That's why the Z-Button is underneath the middle part, it's meant to be a replacement for the L button on the left. I might be misremembering, but I don't think any N64 games use the D-Pad and the stick at the same time, because they're meant to be mutually exclusive control methods.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yep; any stick based game puts non-critical stuff (if anything at all) over on the d-pad.

Nyagato
Apr 6, 2009

Lord Justice posted:

The N64 controller does actually make sense if you consider the design. I don't have any sources, but the basic deal with it is that it was a hedged bet. Nintendo didn't know if the whole 3D thing was actually going to work and take off, plus they wanted old style support for games that would use a D-Pad. Basically, the controller supports two modes: holding the middle for stick controls and 3D movement, and the left for using the D-Pad. That's why the Z-Button is underneath the middle part, it's meant to be a replacement for the L button on the left. I might be misremembering, but I don't think any N64 games use the D-Pad and the stick at the same time, because they're meant to be mutually exclusive control methods.

No, it's made to look like a unicorn cat upside down.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"

Nyagato posted:

No, it's made to look like a unicorn cat upside down.

I'm seeing cat claws, personally.

I tried.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

Lord Justice posted:

The system's manual showed the D-pad/stick combo as one possible input method, but it was barely used. One exception is Goldeneye, as it replicates the functionality of R and the C-buttons to L and the D-pad in all single controller control schemes so you can hold the controller that way for it. You're still stuck having to use A and B in that situation though, which is rather uncomfortable.

If you want a good N64 controller that actually can be held in a normal manner, you might wanna look at the SuperPad 64/MakoPad 64.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I have seen and played with that Superpad that basically just shaved down the side prongs. It's a really smart design. I've never seen the one that looks like a smooshed controller.

• Locked thread